• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Tassel Loafers - Opinion Please

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
3403_R.jpg

What do people think of these?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
fantastic shoes! I receive some slack for tassel loafers since i'm in my mid 20's, but i really like them.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. I have a pair by Sargent and they are my beaters.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
The tasselled loafer is purely American. It was invented by Paul Lukas and Arthur Tarlow of Alden in 1948, the very model that is pictured here.

Like all classics, it will always be fine. The ones that are not made by Alden (or the version that Alden altered for Brooks Brothers in 1957) never look right to me.

So, yes: they are fantastic.

- B

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The tasselled loafer is purely American. It was invented by Paul Lukas and Arthur Tarlow of Alden in 1948, the very model that is pictured here.

Like all classics, it will always be fine. The ones that are not made by Alden (or the version that Alden altered for Brooks Brothers in 1957) never look right to me.

So, yes: they are fantastic.

- B

lobb makes tasseled loafers (foxtons?) that look fine, sw1 USED to make nice tasseled loafers (and still does for rubnnaci (sp)), the loafers that lilbris is trying to sell off also look nice.

But the aldens are classic and the standard, specifically the cordo ones. Lets see if mine fit.

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, don't mind me, but: "Nothing says country club douchebag like tassel loafers." So, by all means, buy some if that's your thing.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
lobb makes tasseled loafers (foxtons?) that look fine, sw1 USED to make nice tasseled loafers (and still does for rubnnaci (sp)), the loafers that lilbris is trying to sell off also look nice.

Euro-trashy.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
But the aldens are classic and the standard, specifically the cordo ones. Lets see if mine fit.

Mine are No. 8. But your post reminds me that I'm in a rare dry spell without a pair of the BB version with the heal foxing in black calf...I'll have to rectify that ASAP.

Thank you for the prompt.

- B

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great shoes but in shell cordovan.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I have the #8 shell (and in black calf, rarely worn), but I do really like the look of the suede.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Great shoes but in shell cordovan.

Originally Posted by Bellison
Very classy. But shell cord is the only way to go.

While cordo is great, so is the reverse calf.

They're all great.

- B

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have those in cigar shell. They are hawt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads