or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › tell me about india
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

tell me about india - Page 2

post #16 of 58
Bouji, you have single handedly convinced all the single and half the married men on this forum to move to India

Tom
post #17 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger02
Bouji, you have single handedly convinced all the single and half the married men on this forum to move to India

Tom


Tom,

india is one of the only places in the world I have been where women would regularly hit on me - gorgeous women. I think that they saw me as somebody who could help them move to america, and then would conveniently have a heart attack before they got to old to enjoy life

serioiusly, though, indian women are incredebly hot. I was married and working very hard when I was there, but if I had been open to fooling around the opportunities would have been there. I think that the whole courtshipt culture is very different than in north america - but I wasn't part of that whole scene. the times I went to parties were only for business, really.
post #18 of 58
LOL too good Zach
post #19 of 58


Tiger, given the opportunity, I'd go back for a few more years; the dirt and chaos are a small price to pay.

Globe, when I said things are changing, I was referring to the courtship culture also. In the past Indians were indeed, as you say, very conservative, what with arranged marriages, and marrying within caste etc.

However, and I'm only going by personal experience of female behavior of a very small strata of Indian society, alongside discussions with male members of the aforementioned society; it seems that the wealthy youth want to let go of all traditions, and they behave in a manner, which they deem to be 'western'. Of course, this behavior is nothing close to the average western youth, it is an extreme. The youth want to be western, and given that this youth clearly does not have the kind of every day contact with western society, their opinion of how things are is, suffice to say, a little warped. Their exposure to the west is vacations, and films, films like American Pie, and Road Trip. Take that, and add to it ridiculous amounts of money, when you consider both the average income of people in the country, and the cost of living (both very low) (the reason for this wealth in small pockets of society in India is because the export trade is quite a large one, take the fact that they produce at Indian rates, but sell at western prices, and your part of the way there. Of course it would be feeble to say that it is simply exporters who earn a lot in India, but this is a key reason, and all other industries are affected because of this. There is money to be made in the home industry, which I was part of, but as an I-Banker, I knew that it was very much the export market that fueled things, domestic consumers simply did not have the spending power - okay now I'm going into a load of economic justification, which I am probably boring you with, but I'm sure you see my point.
Regardless, as I was saying, given that these people have this kind of money, and the fact that the Indian family is somewhat different from the western model, i.e. an Indian father will often set his children up in business, rather than leave them on there own feet, right of wrong is not something I want to get into, all I'm saying here is that is how it is. The result, there are a lot of spoilt twenty-some things, who really don't work, but have serious cash. Given that in many ways, there is no way one can deny that India still operates like a third world country, you can bribe just about anyone to do just about anything. I was at a meeting once with the CEO of my firm and India's Chancellor of the Exchequer, there was legislation that my CEO wanted changed so that we could manage overseas investment without so much red-tape, I distinctly remember the chancellor saying " Kaar sagteh, par bahi, paasa to lagiga" = "We can do it brother (term of affection, rather than them being genetic brothers), but its going to cost you". Given that there were third parties in the meeting this was totally out in the open, it's certainly not something you would see in the west.
Basically, these kids, especially the girls, want to have as much sex as possible, and the guys use how much pull they have, or who there father is as game.
Another thing that I wanted to flag up was that in my opinion, regarding the girls who were after you, it is unlikely that they wanted a one-way ticket to the US, rather it was your white skin.
post #20 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouji


Another thing that I wanted to flag up was that in my opinion, regarding the girls who were after you, it is unlikely that they wanted a one-way ticket to the US, rather it was your white skin.


kind of you to say - but you haven't seen me actually, I was half joking. most of the women I came into contact with in india were young married women who were in arranged marridges, or you had taken a career and their parents were having trouble finding them husbands and they were already a little old (late 20's) for their parents taste. a nice, white gentleman was very different from the men they knew. and these are all middle class I am talking about.

I think that the group you are talking about is around - I just didn't hang with them. I went to a bunch of parties that the ambanies were at, while dealing with them, but I was focused on working. I actually paid a few actors to get me into parties so that I could run into the owners of some of the companies that I sold to, socially. that is the life of a salesman - going to parties and working. most of the people who worked with me, the upper middle class, were still in arranged marridges. but I hardly knew anybody who was under 30, and who was rich. I probrably dealt with their parents, but didn't see them.
post #21 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter
kind of you to say - but you haven't seen me actually, I was half joking. most of the women I came into contact with in india were young married women who were in arranged marridges, or you had taken a career and their parents were having trouble finding them husbands and they were already a little old (late 20's) for their parents taste. a nice, white gentleman was very different from the men they knew. and these are all middle class I am talking about.

I think that the group you are talking about is around - I just didn't hang with them. I went to a bunch of parties that the ambanies were at, while dealing with them, but I was focused on working. I actually paid a few actors to get me into parties so that I could run into the owners of some of the companies that I sold to, socially. that is the life of a salesman - going to parties and working. most of the people who worked with me, the upper middle class, were still in arranged marridges. but I hardly knew anybody who was under 30, and who was rich. I probrably dealt with their parents, but didn't see them.

Yes, you are dead right, as I mentioned before, these kids do not work. I only met them through people I knew from work, who introduced me to their children/young relatives and the fact that my father has done business with India for a long time meant that I knew a lot of people from my time before I went to India, because I tagged along on business trips a few times with him as a teen.

Party to work seems like a hell of a life!

As you say, you probably dealt with their parents, I did too, but I got social with a few of them, and from their I met a lot of people in my age group.

If you don't mind me asking, which city were you in, and what year(s) were you there?
post #22 of 58
Oman,
Do not worry, do not think too much, just prepare yourself properly! Two years is nothing, timewise. The only thing you really need to prepare for is lowering your speed in everything you do and towards those you have around you. Be open and you will grow as a human being. You will also see your own history and Canada in a different view. If you are board, go to visit the Royal Enfield factory just north of Chennai. Give them a call and they will reserve tickets for your entrance. If you are adventures, go for a trip straight southwest to Kerala and stay on a beach hotel for a few days, or go by Shikara on the backwaters. This is experiences for life. Just go, enjoy life! Say hello from me.
post #23 of 58
Thread Starter 
globe, you mentioned the ambanis. do you think it will help my situation socially at all if i go to an ambani-owned private school? or will it make no difference

and thanks a ton for the advice, myhre

the more i learn about the place, the more i want to NOT come back to north america

also, about the Royal Enfield factory... do they sell these?
post #24 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman
globe, you mentioned the ambanis. do you think it will help my situation socially at all if i go to an ambani-owned private school? or will it make no difference


no idea - I can't imagine that their kids go there, I know that they are big in philanthropy and work at helping a lot of people get into the high tech workforce. honestly, you won't be able to stand out at a school like that. on the other hand, you might very well meet people who will be well positioned in 15 or 20 years. I hestitate to voice a hard opinion.
post #25 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouji
If you don't mind me asking, which city were you in, and what year(s) were you there?

I had an office in new delhi, and I lived in mumbai, from early 2000 to early 2003. what about you?
post #26 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter
no idea - I can't imagine that their kids go there, I know that they are big in philanthropy and work at helping a lot of people get into the high tech workforce. honestly, you won't be able to stand out at a school like that. on the other hand, you might very well meet people who will be well positioned in 15 or 20 years. I hestitate to voice a hard opinion.
yeah, the benefits and drawbacks seem to be pretty balanced

i think i might go anyway, simply because it's located in the heart of new delhi

another question for globe/bouji/anyone - how hard is it going to be to overcome the language barrier? i speak nothing but english. i heard that southern india (specifically chennai) is pretty anglo-centric, but as you go north it becomes harder to get by without knowledge of hindi. is this information accurate? am i going to have a harder time speaking to people in new delhi or mumbai than say, chennai?
post #27 of 58
Ancilliary excursions: First rule: no tour books. Second rule: see the first rule. Pakistan is a worthwhile trip, especially the northern areas (KKH, Chitral, and Skardu). Use the land border at Wagah and make sure to spend time in Amritsar. Bangladesh and the Indian northeast territories are also worthwhile for their purity and diversity. Start in Calcutta, cross at Bangaon, to Dakka. Find your way out... Sikkim is a fine retreat from the summer heat, with decent trekking and supurb monasteries. Also, Darjelling is a must see, preferably in the cooler weather so the Himalayas are in clear view (3rd highest is in the area).
post #28 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman
yeah, the benefits and drawbacks seem to be pretty balanced

i think i might go anyway, simply because it's located in the heart of new delhi

another question for globe/bouji/anyone - how hard is it going to be to overcome the language barrier? i speak nothing but english. i heard that southern india (specifically chennai) is pretty anglo-centric, but as you go north it becomes harder to get by without knowledge of hindi. is this information accurate? am i going to have a harder time speaking to people in new delhi or mumbai than say, chennai?

in my opinion, hindi is almost worthless to learn - most people you will come into contact with speak English, and hindi is only spoken by some people, there are many many regional dialects and languages. in addition, hindi has dialects and regional variations. you might find that one of the regional languages pays off better for you, or to put effort into a language that your family speaks.
post #29 of 58
Not to mention, those people you're going to be partying with aren't going to be speaking Hindi, they'll be speaking English.
post #30 of 58
Oman,
Ask about export. Try the following e-mail address; andy@indiabikes.com
but please, be very careful. Take your time with business in India. Visit the factory first, get to know people, rent a Royal Enfield 350cc, talk to mechanics, learn about this bike. It has not been changed in design since 1956, be patient and you will have a great time. Traffic in India is insane. Take care!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › tell me about india