Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › What do you think: new E92 BMW 3-series coupe:
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What do you think: new E92 BMW 3-series coupe: - Page 3

post #31 of 50
whatever you say
post #32 of 50
It looks like the designer fell asleep after the first quarter of the car.
post #33 of 50
visionology: I think you have given a lot of the reasons why I like the car. I didn't know why I like it because I just looked at it and the overall aesthetic appealed to me.

However, I do like my 2001 330ci. It is the best car I've ever owned.
post #34 of 50
I like the overall design. It is more of a evolutionary design than the five and seven series.

The rear does look "Hyundai/KIA-ish" mainly because the Japanese and Koreans have been copying European design for decades.
post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGladwell
It's plastic through and through. Ignoring the fact that it looks and feels like plastic to anyone who's been around cars that use real wood, how do you think BMW got real-world burl to magically fit into one of only two or three patterns?

The trim in my E46 is real wood. I'm not sure how you'd feel it through the thick layer of plastic on top of the wood, nor how you've determined that there are only two or three burl patterns.

--Andre
post #36 of 50
well, you know what he thinks about so called 'moderns...'
post #37 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamo
well, you know what he thinks about so called 'moderns...'

Tell me about it!

Jon.
post #38 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
The trim in my E46 is real wood. I'm not sure how you'd feel it through the thick layer of plastic on top of the wood, nor how you've determined that there are only two or three burl patterns. --Andre
Oh, and the wood in the E92 is real. The reason it looks very plasticy is because they put thicker layers of clear coat (not sure what chemical they use?) since most people tend to be animals and a thin layer of clear coat would easily scratch the wood. I have no idea how he came up with the ‘fact’ that they only have 3 patterns of burl. I would like some proof before I take anything more out of this ‘fact’ as merely pure personal conjecture on his part. Older cars had a very thin (if at all) layer of clear / top coat on the wood trim, and at the same time the wood was a lot thicker. Jon.
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Oh, and the wood in the E92 is real. The reason it looks very plasticy is because they put thicker layers of clear coat (not sure what chemical they use?) since most people tend to be animals and a thin layer of clear coat would easily scratch the wood.

I like the matte finish intro'ed with the E65 7 series. The glossy finish on the older BMW wood trim show swirl marks which show up especially well under strong sunlight. I've been too lazy to take my 3M swirl remover to it yet.

--Andre
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
The trim in my E46 is real wood. I'm not sure how you'd feel it through the thick layer of plastic on top of the wood, nor how you've determined that there are only two or three burl patterns.

I don't know exactly how many patterns there are, but it is only a few. I once saw four E36's with the woodgrain package at a dealer. Three had the exact same "burl" pattern. One had a different pattern. I wish I had a picture, but that shut down the salesdroid's comments about "real wood" real bloody fast! That simply does not happen in real life. For example, look at old pictures of cars with real burl veneer inside, like vintage Rovers, or even real veneers covered in thick layers of lacquer so that they look plastic, like old Royces. There is considerable variation in real life burl veneers.

Though I suppose if you want to get technical it could be wood with a stock
"burl" pattern painted on it, though that's hardly less dumb than straight-up petrochemical trim.

And Lamo/Jon, I'm quite sorry if someone having automotive taste not shaped by marketers offends you.
post #41 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGladwell
I don't know exactly how many patterns there are, but it is only a few. I once saw four E36's with the woodgrain package at a dealer. Three had the exact same "burl" pattern. One had a different pattern. I wish I had a picture, but that shut down the salesdroid's comments about "real wood" real bloody fast! That simply does not happen in real life. For example, look at old pictures of cars with real burl veneer inside, like vintage Rovers, or even real veneers covered in thick layers of lacquer so that they look plastic, like old Royces. There is considerable variation in real life burl veneers.

Though I suppose if you want to get technical it could be wood with a stock
"burl" pattern painted on it, though that's hardly less dumb than straight-up petrochemical trim.

And Lamo/Jon, I'm quite sorry if someone having automotive taste not shaped by marketers offends you.

You happen to not like any modern car. Is every modern car "shaped by marketers"?

Anyways, they use ultra thin wood veneers for modern cars, and yes, it would be nice if they use real pieces of wood a-la 1930's, but alas, that's never going to happen.

Jon.
post #42 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGladwell
I don't know exactly how many patterns there are, but it is only a few. I once saw four E36's with the woodgrain package at a dealer. Three had the exact same "burl" pattern. One had a different pattern. I wish I had a picture, but that shut down the salesdroid's comments about "real wood" real bloody fast! That simply does not happen in real life. For example, look at old pictures of cars with real burl veneer inside, like vintage Rovers, or even real veneers covered in thick layers of lacquer so that they look plastic, like old Royces. There is considerable variation in real life burl veneers.

Though I suppose if you want to get technical it could be wood with a stock
"burl" pattern painted on it, though that's hardly less dumb than straight-up petrochemical trim.

And Lamo/Jon, I'm quite sorry if someone having automotive taste not shaped by marketers offends you.

You don't have a clue.

I dare you to drill into the wood of a 3 series, and then I'm sure you would sink into the ground in shame, don't make yourself believe something that is not true. It is real burl walnut.
post #43 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
You happen to not like any modern car. Is every modern car "shaped by marketers"

I like my Mini. I like the ur-TT as an aesthetic statement, even though it's a bore to drive. I like the VW Lupo. I like the Fiat Panda, which is boring to look at but a hoot to drive. I like the Alfa 147. I like the design of the Renault Megane in the abstract, though I've never driven one. (Actually, all of the modern Renaults look great.) For something more nautical I really like the Peugeot 407. For what it is (a space-efficient people-mover with some concessions to civilization such as a standard manual transmission) I think the Mazda5 can't be beat in the US on function or price. Those are all moderns, right?
post #44 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGladwell
And Lamo/Jon, I'm quite sorry if someone having automotive taste not shaped by marketers offends you.
yes, i suppose marketers are the ones who designs these cars... funny, cause i'm currently residing in Pasadena studying to become an automotive designer. honestly, it's not your quirky taste that bothers me.
post #45 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGladwell
(Actually, all of the modern Renaults look great.)
Aw, shucks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › What do you think: new E92 BMW 3-series coupe: