• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Missing Patch in Beard - Alopecia

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
So, too keep this short, I have an "alopecia-spot" in my beard, along my jawline, that is SUPER annoying.

I have very dark, coarse, facial hair - and the REAL problem is that even when clean shaven you can still notice the area that is completely hairless. Its for this reason that I am most annoyed with this situation, because if not I'd just stay clean shaven all the time and that would be that - but thats not a real remedy unfortunately.

Basically I was wondering if anyone had experience with this? I've been getting some sort of steroid injection in my face, but theres been only a very little change.

Anyone have a better result with the shots? Or a different remedy that may work?

Thanks!

youdee

Reaction score
Patches on the beard where no hair grows is quite common and to be honest there aren't any comprehensive 'cures'. Most, like steroid injections, might stimulate the growth of vellous hairs (or peach fuzz) for as long as you use them but they won't mature into beard hair that will consistently grow.

Don't be tempted to use hair growth products like Rogaine on your face because you'll most likely end up with a massive list of complications.

If the gap is small you could try growing in a light beard and then filling in the patch with a beard corrector.

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
youdee,

thanks for the info. i have noticed some regrowth from the shots, but like you said, only peach fuzz -- though in 2 small spots 3-5 pigmented hairs came through, but the patch is still rather large.

the beard correction pen looks great, I may give it a shot but i fear that the patch it too large for it to not look too obvious.

If so, I guess I'll just have to try and shave much more often -- I'm checking out your blog for some good skin-care for my soon-to-be constantly shaved face.

Thanks again!

Smartalox

Reaction score
In my experience it comes and goes - I had some spots about 10 years ago but they cleared up and my beard came back after about 6 months to a year or so of my doing nothing (other than shaving every day). I think that in my case, it was stress related. I was broke, in school, depressed, not getting enough sleep, uncertain future, etc.

Relax. Address the things that are stressing you out, and don't stress over your beard.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perfect beards are not attractive or natural.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with alopecia. Could you get some hair transplants for the spot?

youdee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CJG_NYC
youdee,

thanks for the info. i have noticed some regrowth from the shots, but like you said, only peach fuzz -- though in 2 small spots 3-5 pigmented hairs came through, but the patch is still rather large.

the beard correction pen looks great, I may give it a shot but i fear that the patch it too large for it to not look too obvious.

If so, I guess I'll just have to try and shave much more often -- I'm checking out your blog for some good skin-care for my soon-to-be constantly shaved face.

Thanks again!

No problemo. Do you mind if I post your problem and my answer on my blog? Like I said, it's a fairly common problem so it'd be good to get the word out. Also if there's anyone reading my blog that has had the same problem then you're more likely to find a solution.

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smartalox
In my experience it comes and goes - I had some spots about 10 years ago but they cleared up and my beard came back after about 6 months to a year or so of my doing nothing (other than shaving every day). I think that in my case, it was stress related. I was broke, in school, depressed, not getting enough sleep, uncertain future, etc.

Relax. Address the things that are stressing you out, and don't stress over your beard.

Smartalox -- I think stress is the main factor in my situation as well. Just graduated law school, tons of debt, and legal job market = not so hot. To say the least, this is a sweet recipe for stress. I'll heed your advice, though! Thanks!

Originally Posted by youdee
No problemo. Do you mind if I post your problem and my answer on my blog? Like I said, it's a fairly common problem so it'd be good to get the word out. Also if there's anyone reading my blog that has had the same problem then you're more likely to find a solution.

youdee - feel free to post it up on your blog! I hope it helps some others as well!

youdee

Reaction score
Thanks CJG_NYC, your post is now on the blog here. If the patch(es) are quite large I also suggest you look into a possible thyroid or iron deficiency to get your hair growing again.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a spot that grew and receded over time but stayed there for about 5 or 6 years. One day it went away. That was coincidentally at the time I got married, but I wouldn't want to conclude that it was the cure...
wink.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've had it as well: it comes and goes.

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by youdee
Thanks CJG_NYC, your post is now on the blog here. If the patch(es) are quite large I also suggest you look into a possible thyroid or iron deficiency to get your hair growing again.

youdee -- when I first went to get a medical opinion on the "spot" I had full blood work done. They were concerned it may have been an autoimmune disorder. It was not, according to them, of course. I am NOT sure if my iron levels were checked during those tests, I am going to have that checked soon though! Thanks!

Originally Posted by gdl203
I had a spot that grew and receded over time but stayed there for about 5 or 6 years. One day it went away. That was coincidentally at the time I got married, but I wouldn't want to conclude that it was the cure...
wink.gif

Well, if all else fails, maybe I'll try getting hitched! Haha, good to know that you had it for quite a while, I'm not sure exactly how long mine has been there but its definitely been (at this size) for about 2 years now.

Originally Posted by Thomas
I've had it as well: it comes and goes.

Its kinda frustrating! My facial hair grows like weeds. If I shave at 7am-8am, I get a 5 o'clock shadow forming at noon!

Thanks everyone for responding! At least I know I'm not alone!

youdee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CJG_NYC
Its kinda frustrating! My facial hair grows like weeds. If I shave at 7am-8am, I get a 5 o'clock shadow forming at noon!

I wrote a post about hair inhibitors here - while they won't allow you skip days shaving, they might delay the onset of a 5 o'clock shadow. No miracle workers but worth looking in to.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sounds like alopecia areata, which technically is an autoimmune disorder. It's surprising to hear there is more than one person posting in the thread who seems to have experienced it; statistically, it's neither rare nor "common." As the original poster has done
nod[1].gif
, anyone with symptoms should see a doctor, to rule out worse things and for treatment. It is associated with an increased risk of hair loss on the scalp, so it might give a person the chance to get the condition under control before that happens. The strongest treatment probably is injection with steroids, but there are topicals that can be tried. Sometimes it's self-correcting. If all else fails, a change to the facial hair style probably will be an effective substitute for regrowth. Maybe light stubble, tended to two twice a day, as the style.

pakmode

Reaction score
I have alopecia as well. It's genetic and seems to be triggered by stress in my case.

Patches in my beard have been commonplace the past 6 months and I also developed a fair sized bald-spot on the back of my head. That was a couple months ago and it's slowly starting to grow back in.

Apparently alopecia is worse in girls then guys...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads