or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › hopkins_student kills intruder with samurai sword
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

hopkins_student kills intruder with samurai sword - Page 5

post #61 of 93
I really don't know what to think about this situation. Did he call the cops before he went into the garage? I could understand if he thought it was a coon or whatever. But to take the samurai sword only means one thing. He was gonna fucking something up, and by that I mean kill. What else is a samurai sword good for? If he had killed the guy with a baseball bat, I'd be more inclined to believe that it was truly an accident.

The pessimistic side of me believes that this was a staged bumfight that got out of hand.
post #62 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post
Your life?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheessus View Post
I really don't know what to think about this situation. Did he call the cops before he went into the garage? I could understand if he thought it was a coon or whatever. But to take the samurai sword only means one thing. He was gonna fucking something up, and by that I mean kill. What else is a samurai sword good for? If he had killed the guy with a baseball bat, I'd be more inclined to believe that it was truly an accident.

The pessimistic side of me believes that this was a staged bumfight that got out of hand.

According to the baltimore sun, the cops were called then he went to confront the robber.

And in case people haven't seen the update, the family is very upset over his death. His sister or mother went to the house (the one he was trying to rob) to get answers apparently. The robber's sister said he was not a threat because he was "too fat". Lol.

I think it's absurd that anyone would side with a guy that had been arrested 30 previous times for theft, just gotten out of jail, and went thieving again. It's unfortunate that he died, but hey you go robbing houses that many times and it's bound to go wrong sometime.
post #63 of 93
What the fuck are people complaining about? I would have shot the person in the face. He's lucky he made it 29 times without getting offed.
post #64 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post
What the fuck are people complaining about? I would have shot the person in the face. He's lucky he made it 29 times without getting offed.

Yes, you do seem like the kind of fellow who would try to shoot someone in the face with his Samurai sword... PEW! PEW! PEW!
post #65 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman View Post
Yes, you do seem like the kind of fellow who would try to shoot someone in the face with his Samurai sword...

post #66 of 93
I'm not understanding some of the sentiment in the thread. Sounds like a portion of individuals are against the idea of stopping someone from stealing possessions. I have a few buddies of mine who work for the RCMP and police department in my city and if the intruder is spotted before leaving your property (stolen / or attempted) before the cops arrive and you don't take him down yourself, there is a 30-50% chance he is caught. I don't know the validity of this btw, it's what one cop told me. If the burglar is not seen and steals, the chance becomes significantly lower, 10% or so. This is among all property theft, large/small. So my question is property/possessions worth so little compared to an offenders life/well being? I don't understand this sympathy towards someone doing you harm.
post #67 of 93
Wonder if this kid actually trained in the used of the sword or just had it for show. Anyway.. sucks that someone died.. but I'm with the group that believes in the "you commit 29 crimes before this, sooner or later the percentages will play out badly for you" camp.
post #68 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktri View Post
I'm not understanding some of the sentiment in the thread.

Sounds like a portion of individuals are against the idea of stopping someone from stealing possessions. I have a few buddies of mine who work for the RCMP and police department in my city and if the intruder is spotted before leaving your property (stolen / or attempted) before the cops arrive and you don't take him down yourself, there is a 30-50% chance he is caught. I don't know the validity of this btw, it's what one cop told me. If the burglar is not seen and steals, the chance becomes significantly lower, 10% or so. This is among all property theft, large/small.

So my question is property/possessions worth so little compared to an offenders life/well being? I don't understand this sympathy towards someone doing you harm.

I don't really care if this person stole once or a hundred times, I don't believe in the death penalty for theft of material goods. If you own something that you look at and say "I would definitely kill someone to keep this" then I believe that is a messed up value system.

You are saying property/possession is worth so much that you are willing to kill someone to keep something that is probably only worth pennys on the dollar, or at this time has been valued high by present society, but in the grand scheme of things has no real value other than what we assign to it.

I had suggested earlier that using a bat would have been better, but after JLibs, yours and others position that you have the right to protect your possessions, voluntarily injecting yourself into the situation, then I guess you better go in loaded for bear since you don't know how the other person is equipped.

But, I still stand by my statement that he did not need to inject himself and he could have woke up the next day, perhaps a little poorer, but not a killer.
post #69 of 93
The story says the robber lunged at the student. I think the student was probably worried for his life, not his possessions.
post #70 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lel View Post
The story says the robber lunged at the student. I think the student was probably worried for his life, not his possessions.

I think Agnacious was pretty clear - read his posts. Talking about the reason he decided to go down to the garage armed with a sword in the first place, not the reason why he swooshed when the guy attacked him (if he really did). He arguably inserted himself in the situation with a weapon because he was worried for his possessions.
post #71 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lel View Post
The story says the robber lunged at the student. I think the student was probably worried for his life, not his possessions.

The worry for his possessions is what got him out there in the first place. Then he was worried for his life with the lung and then he had to use the weapon he decided to bring.

I am glad so many are so cavalier about the killing of another person to protect stuff stored in a garage. I am willing to bet right now he is not.

edit: yes thank you gdl. I thought I was being clear.
post #72 of 93
If the court system had kept him in prison after 29 robberies, he'd be alive right now. And the hopkins dude would not be dealing with the trauma of killing a man for the rest of his life. He should sue the judge who let the guy free personally.
post #73 of 93
^^^^
how about after maybe, oh sayyy, the first 5?
post #74 of 93
I just saw this thread. Quite the coincidence, I amputated a leg today. Have I mentioned that vascular surgery sucks.
post #75 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnacious View Post
I don't really care if this person stole once or a hundred times, I don't believe in the death penalty for theft of material goods. If you own something that you look at and say "I would definitely kill someone to keep this" then I believe that is a messed up value system.

You are saying property/possession is worth so much that you are willing to kill someone to keep something that is probably only worth pennys on the dollar, or at this time has been valued high by present society, but in the grand scheme of things has no real value other than what we assign to it.

I had suggested earlier that using a bat would have been better, but after JLibs, yours and others position that you have the right to protect your possessions, voluntarily injecting yourself into the situation, then I guess you better go in loaded for bear since you don't know how the other person is equipped.

But, I still stand by my statement that he did not need to inject himself and he could have woke up the next day, perhaps a little poorer, but not a killer.

That's a slippery slope. How much are you willing to let another person steal before you intervene?

What if he steals everything you own? What if he steals what you own which places you in harms way - let's say you lose everything and the consequences are you wake up every morning hunting for food, looking for jobs, etc. At what point do you say, "Hey buddy, lay off my stuff." ? And if you do say that, then the only difference is your value of human life rather than your beliefs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › hopkins_student kills intruder with samurai sword