or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › All These Cheap Borrelli Shirts on Ebay
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

All These Cheap Borrelli Shirts on Ebay - Page 2

post #16 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by demeis
They are real i bought 3 shirts from him. Hand Stiched button holes, hand stiched buttons in the crows foot stitch, hand stitched gusset and hand stiched sleeves. The things that don't have hand stiching are the collar and the cuff (at least it doesn't seem so when comparing it to my Finamore shirts). I don't think he would fake a borrelli shirt with all that handwork and he was also selling barba shirts which i doubt very many people know about. When i last talked to the seller it was because he had two accounts and he said one is his cousin and ones him (obviously) and they are affiliated with both factories but didn't go into detail. But these shirts as far as i can tell are real. I was worried to as it was a different label but the 3 i have are all excellent.

I hear what you're saying but here's my issue: I have well over 100 Borrelli shirts in my closet (sick, I know) and everyone of them has a hand stitched collar. These don't.
post #17 of 82
I will try and take some pics later, probibly tommarow with the sunlight they will turn out better and its starting to get dark here and let you guys decide. I'm relatively new to handmade shirts but the other are pretty obviously done by hand but it seems to tight and to good to be done by hand on the collar.
post #18 of 82
QUOTE][I hear what you're saying but here's my issue: I have well over 100 Borrelli shirts in my closet (sick, I know) and everyone of them has a hand stitched collar. These don't.[/quote]

While I have not purchased from this specific seller. The 2 Borrelli shirts I purchased from the German Ebay Sellers (discussed in detail on this forum) have this same label.

I sent them back due to the following:

The shirt collar, and top yoke are machine stitched. The gusset are made in the same fabric as the shirt. This is not consistent with any Borrelli shirt I have purchased in the US.

The only handwork I was able to find was at the:
buttonholes
armholes
Gusset

BTW...handwork is somewhat sloppy

I will only go so far as to say, these shirts are lower quality than Borrelli shirts sold in the US.
post #19 of 82
I've bought one of the Borrelli's and several Barbas from this (these) guys who are cousins. They certainly seem like the real thing. I think the fabrics are not the top end but the handwork seems legit.
post #20 of 82
well it seems like some people are starting to sell fake high-end stuff from relatively unknown makers so I wouldn't be surprised if someone starts counterfeiting Borrellis. The fake Attolinis that were recently spotted on ebay are a good example. They might have some handwork, but it doesn't mean they're real.

And also keep in mind what LV counterfeiters do. There are several levels of counterfeit LV bag, but some of them are REALLY well done. They are so well done in fact that people get away with charging about 50% retail of a real LV bag over ebay, and they can trick many a LV "connoiseur". How are they so well done? Someone has workshops in a place where they can pay really low wages to make stuff by hand and still turn a profit, even by selling them at such cheap prices.
post #21 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek

And also keep in mind what LV counterfeiters do. There are several levels of counterfeit LV bag, but some of them are REALLY well done. They are so well done in fact that people get away with charging about 50% retail of a real LV bag over ebay, and they can trick many a LV "connoiseur". How are they so well done? Someone has workshops in a place where they can pay really low wages to make stuff by hand and still turn a profit, even by selling them at such cheap prices.


This is a really good point. A friend's wife recently bought a hermes bag on Ebay and the hermes store had to literally take the bag apart to confirmt hat is wasn't real. These guys are getting good.
post #22 of 82
OK, I bought 2 of these, paid $50 each, and they came today. Two days arrival from Italy. Amazing.

I don't own any Borrelli shirts for comparision, so take my comments in that vein.

Now to the shirts: The fabric on both is amazing. Soft and luxurious. The fit is easily the best of any of my dress shirts -- a slim fit, not tight but a nice slim-fitting dress shirt. The buttons are beautiful -- perfect, thick and a nice milky tone of pearl. The button holes are obviously hand-stitched and not badly. The collar does look machine-stitched, although I am not an expert at such things. one interesting thing, I held one of the shirts up to the light and inside the shirt at the base of the collar I could see a bunch of thread hanging down. Does that mean the collar is not fused? Don't know, it's not an imperfection, in fact it to me gives it a nice touch, kind of like a little extra thread in the back of a tie that signifies it was finished by hand.

My conclusion: They are probably real, but they are, as someone said, training shirts, or perhaps rejects. I am happy as a clam for $50 a shirt.
post #23 of 82
Thread Starter 
Stu...glad to hear that you like the shirts. Is the red and white Borrelli crest label sewn into the hem of one of the placekt strips? This is another telltale sign of an authenic Borrelli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
OK, I bought 2 of these, paid $50 each, and they came today. Two days arrival from Italy. Amazing.

I don't own any Borrelli shirts for comparision, so take my comments in that vein.

Now to the shirts: The fabric on both is amazing. Soft and luxurious. The fit is easily the best of any of my dress shirts -- a slim fit, not tight but a nice slim-fitting dress shirt. The buttons are beautiful -- perfect, thick and a nice milky tone of pearl. The button holes are obviously hand-stitched and not badly. The collar does look machine-stitched, although I am not an expert at such things. one interesting thing, I held one of the shirts up to the light and inside the shirt at the base of the collar I could see a bunch of thread hanging down. Does that mean the collar is not fused? Don't know, it's not an imperfection, in fact it to me gives it a nice touch, kind of like a little extra thread in the back of the tie that significes it was finished by hand.

My conclusion: They are probably real, but they are, as someone said. training shirts, or perhaps rejects. I am happy as a clam for $50 a shirt.
post #24 of 82
Borrelli may have created model line where it has lesser amount of hand works. Barba's gold label shirts have more handworks than black label ones. Borrelli may have done the same.

If those cheaper Borrelli shirts have at least hand stitched armholes and the sleeves are well set than a person who is making the shirt must have put some effort and time. Also take a look at machine stitches. If they are single needle stitches, then I have strong reason to believe that they are real Borrelli's. Otherwise, it is well made hande finished shirt with LB label.
post #25 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
Borrelli may have created model line where it has lesser amount of hand works. Barba's gold label shirts have more handworks than black label ones. Borrelli may have done the same.

If those cheaper Borrelli shirts have at least hand stitched armholes and the sleeves are well set than a person who is making the shirt must have put some effort and time. Also take a look at machine stitches. If they are single needle stitches, then I have strong reason to believe that they are real Borrelli's. Otherwise, it is well made hande finished shirt with LB label.

Normally I would agree, but Borrelli is so outspoken about the handwork in their garments that I think a diffusion line with less handwork would potentially damage the brand in a big way. I'm more inclined to believe that these are samples or seconds.
post #26 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Stu...glad to hear that you like the shirts. Is the red and white Borrelli crest label sewn into the hem of one of the placekt strips? This is another telltale sign of an authenic Borrelli.


Negative. Just a tag that says 100 percent COTONE and on the back the tag says:

Made In Italy A Norma De Legge
and then a number:

N883 DEL 26-11-73
post #27 of 82
I emailed borrelli today about the shirts. Hopefully i'll hear back and post here soon.
post #28 of 82
Quote:
I don't think that's true. Borrelli is all over NYC for example and has a store right in front of Barney's - that's quite visible.


Your argument is farcicle. New York has alot of boutiques that most people have never been to or heard of. It is New York! My point was that Luigi Borrelli is still unknown to probably 95% of the population. While most people on this forum have heard of Borrelli, you have to remember that this forum is certainly not microcosmic of the rest of the population when it comes to sartorial knowledge. In the bigger picture, Borrelli is still pretty unknown.
post #29 of 82
Thread Starter 
Three reasons why I believe this to be fake:

1) No Borrelli crest is sewn imto the hem of the placket
2) No hanging books with name of seemstress who sewed the shirt
3) No handstiched collar

I have a fair bit of first hand experience with Borrelli shirts and all of mine, save the those bought in the mid-80s, have all these elements. The ones from the 80s did not have the Borrelli crest.

Believe me, I would love to be able to get Borrelli shirts for $50, but the facts just don't stand up.

Edit:

Here are photos of the three elements. Look carefully and you see the hand stitching at the collar.



post #30 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink22m
Your argument is farcicle. New York has alot of boutiques that most people have never been to or heard of. It is New York! My point was that Luigi Borrelli is still unknown to probably 95% of the population. While most people on this forum have heard of Borrelli, you have to remember that this forum is certainly not microcosmic of the rest of the population when it comes to sartorial knowledge. In the bigger picture, Borrelli is still pretty unknown.

He also had Barba shirts which even less people have heard off, it took me a year on this board before i heard of them. But some things aren't adding up. I thought i read on AA that they have a Euro version of shirts. Anyone know this for a fact?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › All These Cheap Borrelli Shirts on Ebay