or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › The NBA Playoffs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The NBA Playoffs

post #1 of 209
Thread Starter 
Okay, who are you pulling for, what are your predictions? My Sixers tanked hard, so in the East I'm going to watch the first round and see who wins my affections. In the West... I grew up in LA during the Showtime era, so I'm always going to have a soft spot in my heart for the Lakers. But realistically, they're not making it past the second round, even if they manage to beat Phoenix (which they shouldn't). Still, I'll be watching just to see if Kobe lights up for a bajillion points. And as a Californian born and raised, I also have a deeply-felt sense of how bizarre it is that not only are the Clips in the playoffs, they're seeded *ahead of the Lakers*, so the root-for-the-underdog in me wants to see 'em do well. Plus I don't think Brand got enough credit for what he's done this season.
post #2 of 209
I have to go with my Pistons. They had the best record in the league and wnat to avenge last year's loss to the Spurs. I think there are teams that can sneak a game or two from them, but I don't think any team can beat them 4 times in 7 games, especially withus having a game 7 at home.
post #3 of 209
No way, the Bulls are going to upset the Heat and.... er, nevermind. That's not going to happen.
post #4 of 209
It will be interesting what the Cavs led by LeBron can do. The NBA is really sucking. I played a pick up game and some little "streety" kept hacking at my arm. He seemed to have played some ball in HS but I told him not to foul me repeatedly. Then, on another play he got behind me and when we both went up for the ball he brought his elbow down (purposefully) on the back of my head. Its a good thing from playing sports Ive learned to keep my mouth shut when not wearing a mouthpiece or I wouldve bitten my tongue off.

I was like, OK Im outie. Im done for that with peeps I dont know.

I blame that sort of aggression in even a friendly pick up as deriving from the NBA's antics.
post #5 of 209
Spurs looked awful good yesterday.

Everyone's way into them down here, and I've been trying not to get sucked in...

But I feel myself slipping...
post #6 of 209
Steve B, I am sure both of our teams will be meeting in the Finals againt his year. Give in to hype. it's ok. However, Detroit will be recapturing the NBA championship.
post #7 of 209
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Spurs looked awful good yesterday. Everyone's way into them down here, and I've been trying not to get sucked in... But I feel myself slipping...
That was painful. Thirty-four points by the end of the game.... Steve, unless you're a Pistons fan, there's no reason to fight it. Just enjoy it. Also: LeBron James. Triple-double in his first playoff game. Haslem gets ejected from the Heat/Bulls game. Clips over Nuggets by two. Promising first day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpologuy
Steve B, I am sure both of our teams will be meeting in the Finals againt his year. Give in to hype. it's ok. However, Detroit will be recapturing the NBA championship.
Looks like it. I hate to say it, MPG, but I was pulling for San Antonio last year. This year, though... hard not to admire what Detroit has done. I wouldn't mind a Detroit win at all. As long as the finals look more like games 5-7 than games 1-4 from last year....
post #8 of 209
Should we bet a tweed jacket or a navy blazer?
post #9 of 209
I'm rooting for my Lakers. They sure have a better chance beating the Suns than the Spurs. I still think the Spurs will win it all.
post #10 of 209
go clips!
post #11 of 209
Every so often I catch an old playoff game on ESPN Classic - usually Boston vs. somebody.

The difference between the mid- to late-1980s game and today is so vast I don't even know where to begin, except to say that the current version is pretty much unwatchable unless you're addicted to one-man bands.

I did catch a little of Cleveland and they show faint signs of playing as a team.
post #12 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick06790
Every so often I catch an old playoff game on ESPN Classic - usually Boston vs. somebody.

The difference between the mid- to late-1980s game and today is so vast I don't even know where to begin, except to say that the current version is pretty much unwatchable unless you're addicted to one-man bands.

I did catch a little of Cleveland and they show faint signs of playing as a team.

Do you actually watch the games now or just make generalizations? The Spurs and Pistons are the epitome of team ball.

koji
post #13 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
Do you actually watch the games now or just make generalizations? The Spurs and Pistons are the epitome of team ball.

koji

Glad to hear it. Maybe I'll watch the Finals, but it makes me wonder what the rest of the endless NBA season is all about.

So yeah, I guess it is a generalization when I say that every game I checked in on during the season was dreadful. And because of this I didn't check in on very many.
post #14 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick06790
Glad to hear it. Maybe I'll watch the Finals, but it makes me wonder what the rest of the endless NBA season is all about.

So yeah, I guess it is a generalization when I say that every game I checked in on during the season was dreadful. And because of this I didn't check in on very many.

By that logic, then, I suppose that if a casual fan turned on the Final Four this year, he would assume that collegeball is dreadful as well.
I agree that the NBA season is far too long, though. I've noticed though, that the level of play has dramatically increased in the past five years, and as the 2003 draft players (which I consider the strongest draft since 1984) such as Lebron, Wade, Anthony, Hinrich, and Bosch hit their stride, the level of play will only increase further.

koji
post #15 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Okay, who are you pulling for, what are your predictions? My Sixers tanked hard, so in the East I'm going to watch the first round and see who wins my affections. In the West... I grew up in LA during the Showtime era, so I'm always going to have a soft spot in my heart for the Lakers. But realistically, they're not making it past the second round, even if they manage to beat Phoenix (which they shouldn't). Still, I'll be watching just to see if Kobe lights up for a bajillion points. And as a Californian born and raised, I also have a deeply-felt sense of how bizarre it is that not only are the Clips in the playoffs, they're seeded *ahead of the Lakers*, so the root-for-the-underdog in me wants to see 'em do well. Plus I don't think Brand got enough credit for what he's done this season.

Brand should definitely be an mvp candidate.

koji
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › The NBA Playoffs