or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Is there a better sleep aid than Ambien?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is there a better sleep aid than Ambien? - Page 5

post #61 of 78
I'm curious to find out...for anyone here looking for sleep aids, and for those that can't find a sleep aid that works, when was the last time you had a good round of exercise?

Seems like all the people that I hang out with get plenty of exercise but have no problems sleeping whatsoever. Meanwhile, my friends that have sleeping problems, I have noticed, have no exercise record and also tend to consume more caffeine and alcohol. Of course, these are broad generalizations, but if you have sleeping problems, perhaps you should consider exercise as a practical option. I know if I have been on the treadmill for 40 minutes at some point during the day I'm going to fall asleep once my eyes close at night.

Anyone have any input on this one? or has it already been mentioned?
post #62 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldarchon View Post
Stop use and ask a doctor if you have rectal bleeding

I think this advise applies to pretty much everything in life.
post #63 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ge Fuzz View Post
diazepam (valium) and lorazepam (ativan) are both very common sleep aids. They are pretty much the same thing with the same risk of addiction (high).

The color of the V shaped hole pill will tell you the mgs : white=2 mg, yellow=5 mg, blue= 10mg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigasahouse View Post
20mg is a whooping dose.

This forum is full of practical info. Both the heart shaped rings and the solid pills are blue. I had noticed there was a distinct difference in potency when taking two pills so I will limit this dose to the times I absolutely, positively have to be "out" within an hour or so.
post #64 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post
I think this advise applies to pretty much everything in life.

I realize that your standard MD is a highly educated, generally intelligent person but despite a complete lack of medical training wouldnt the average joe be in a better position to know if he had rectal bleeding than some stranger in a lab coat ?
post #65 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcaimen View Post
This forum is full of practical info. Both the heart shaped rings and the solid pills are blue. I had noticed there was a distinct difference in potency when taking two pills so I will limit this dose to the times I absolutely, positively have to be "out" within an hour or so.

nitpick but they are V shaped as in Valium not heart shaped.

And yes, doubling a dose usually results in an increase in potency, lol.
post #66 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsoccer4 View Post
I'm curious to find out...for anyone here looking for sleep aids, and for those that can't find a sleep aid that works, when was the last time you had a good round of exercise?

Again, if your insomnia is from situational anxiety, this is irrelevant.
post #67 of 78
Melatonin works for me but makes me feel groggy all the next day. Tryptophan may work, haven't tried it enough to have a good idea if it does, though.

Benadryl puts some people out, too.
post #68 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
Again, if your insomnia is from situational anxiety, this is irrelevant.

Exercise could help the anxiety actually.
post #69 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigasahouse View Post
Exercise could help the anxiety actually.
Yeah exercise helps everything to some extent; this is still irrelevant in the context of the thread.
post #70 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
Yeah exercise helps everything to some extent;

same goes for sex and alcohol ..
post #71 of 78
This stuff:

http://www.tmuscle.com/portal_includ...s/blue/z12.jsp

has phGABA. The story goes that if you are stressed, it blocks the neurotramsitters, which calms you down.

I tried ONE pill (recommended is 3) and it was the most solid sleep I've had in months.
post #72 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
Yeah exercise helps everything to some extent; this is still irrelevant in the context of the thread.

Why is this irrelevant? He asked if the people suffering from insomnia were exercising. You replied it's irrelevant if your insomnia is from situational anxiety.

That is completely false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Family Physician - Volume 76, Issue 4 (August 2007)
Treatment should begin with nonpharmacologic therapy, addressing sleep hygiene issues and exercise. There is good evidence supporting the effectiveness of cognitive behavior therapy. Exercise improves sleep as effectively as benzodiazepines in some studies and, given its other health benefits, is recommended for patients with insomnia.
post #73 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigasahouse View Post
Why is this irrelevant? He asked if the people suffering from insomnia were exercising. You replied it's irrelevant if your insomnia is from situational anxiety.

That is completely false.

I don't know about others in this thread, but personally, my goal was to avoid pharmacological interventions as much as possible. I was already exercising well, eating properly, cut alcohol totally, had a completely dark bedroom with no tv or other distractions. . . .. ..on and on.

None of it helped.

Like a lot of people, I had done shift work while in college. This seems to be associated with sleep onset disorders later in life.

So, my life is a cycle of sleep getting worse until I need to go to the doctor and get drugs. Then sleep well for a while. Then wish I didn't have to take drugs. Then try to wean myself off. Then wait until my sleep degrades again.

The other solution is to find a job with a schedule that agrees with my body (not likely anymore).
post #74 of 78
Have you tried this sleep aid? Tried that when all the others failed to work. 100% Natural too..
post #75 of 78
Melatonin blows and doesn't work. Trazadone. Kind of in the middle of the Melatonin to Ambien scale. Hangover only lasts about a week.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Is there a better sleep aid than Ambien?