• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Bought my Wife an Expensive Handbag ><

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I splurged and got a vintage used Chanel bag for my wife as a xmas present (until she finds it of course, nothing can be hidden well enough)

It's made of quilted lambskin in a solid black (probably from the late 80s or early 90s I'd guess). It has some noticeable wear on it near the corners of the bottom and light scratches here and there.

Question is: should I try and polish it up myself or send it away to a professional?

I called up the Chanel store in NYC and the lady recommended using a Meltonian cream, called #170 that's supposedly for delicate leather. Of course she then recommended I send it in for Chanel's "full treatment" which runs $265 and takes 2-3 months to complete (making xmas a risk)

Anyone with some experience/knowledge in this?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Send me the bag, and I'll take care of it for you.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Okay, so I splurged and got a vintage used Chanel bag for my wife as a xmas present (until she finds it of course, nothing can be hidden well enough) It's made of quilted lambskin in a solid black (probably from the late 80s or early 90s I'd guess). It has some noticeable wear on it near the corners of the bottom and light scratches here and there. Question is: should I try and polish it up myself or send it away to a professional? I called up the Chanel store in NYC and the lady recommended using a Meltonian cream, called #170 that's supposedly for delicate leather. Of course she then recommended I send it in for Chanel's "full treatment" which runs $265 and takes 2-3 months to complete (making xmas a risk) Anyone with some experience/knowledge in this?
I would venture to say that it all depends on how much people really mean it when they say its the thought that counts. Suck up and get it professionally done (if not from Chanel, then from another professional).

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Send me the bag, and I'll take care of it for you.

laugh.gif

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those bags are great. I bought one several years back. The cost has really gone up significantly in recent years - practically doubled.

Don't have much advice as to the reconditioning, but I'd probably have it professionally done (but not by any old Joe Schmo cobbler).

Word of warning: now that she has the taste for luxury, that will be her new baseline....

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Those bags are great. I bought one several years back. The cost has really gone up significantly in recent years - practically doubled.

Don't have much advice as to the reconditioning, but I'd probably have it professionally done (but not by any old Joe Schmo cobbler).

Word of warning: now that she has the taste for luxury, that will be her new baseline....

A big +1 on the last part. As I've started to build my wardrobe since leaving the military, she too has begun to move away from the trendy brands

She pointed the aforementioned bag out in a magazine and said "see... now this one NEVER goes out of style..."

I'm hoping it becomes her "staple" accessory, if there is such a thing

gsugsu

Reaction score
Before buying my wife her Chanel bag I signed up for the Purse Forum. You think SF members can be hardcore. Those Chanelista's are crazy. However, they provided me with guidance so that I wouldn't make a mistake. Unfortunately, I now know far too much about Chanel bags and that information has supplanted more important info in my brain like passwords and when to pay the power bill.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I, too, am a member of the Purse Forum
uhoh.gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
^This. Leatherique is superb stuff. Also handy on cars.

doctorj!

Reaction score
Send it to Rago brothers in Morristown, NJ. They are the best of the best!

AJ

JParker89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by doctorj!
Send it to Rago brothers in Morristown, NJ. They are the best of the best!

AJ

Seconded. The company that I work for uses Rago Brothers as their official repair center, and they do fantastic work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads