• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The hazards of a mirror shine

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
"Stacy Shire said the fire started in his apartment while he was polishing his boots. He was melting shoe polish with a lighter to make it easier to apply the polish when the polish caught on fire and ignited his bed.

"I tried to blow it out, but it landed on the floor," he said.

Then the 50-year-old tried to smother the fire with some clothes, but the room quickly filled with smoke and he fled."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ebfire13m.html

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics of the shoes?
confused.gif

uzairh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WOW. Never heard of something like this...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wonder if he's a forum member. It sounds like a technique an SF member would use.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too bad he lost his shoes in the fire. :\\

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
No way. He used his clothes to try to extinguish the fire. A forumite would have grabbed the dog or a priceless painting first.

yes. or save his 5 month old unwashed raw denims in the freezer

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I wonder if he's a forum member. It sounds like a technique an SF member would use.

I think that the technique of burning the polish a little with a lighter is quite common in the armed forces. I don't know whether it really works or not, but the theory is that by taking a lighter to the polish before applying it, it burns off some of the ingredients (alcohol, perhaps?) in the polish, and it makes it easier to get a high shine.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I think that the technique of burning the polish a little with a lighter is quite common in the armed forces. I don't know whether it really works or not, but the theory is that by taking a lighter to the polish before applying it, it burns off some of the ingredients (alcohol, perhaps?) in the polish, and it makes it easier to get a high shine.

You're correct in that it's an old military technique (my grandpa used to do it in WWII). But I'm not sure it has anything to do with burning off alcohol or whatnot. Pretty sure it's just supposed to warm up the polish, reducing viscosity, and thus making it easier to work into the leather. Whatever the case, I'm too scared and far too accident-prone to try it myself.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bet they're not as shiny now.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I melt shoe polish by lighting it when I'm at the end of the tin and it has been reduced to broken pieces. However, I do it on the concrete floor of my garage.

duration

Reaction score
Oh yes, I used to do a bit of that when I was in military service.

Artigas

Reaction score
Yes, I also wondered if he might be military, especially since he was polishing boots.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2009859531.jpg

Here is the real SF member who was heard to shout, My jacket, my jacket!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics