• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jack Spade Menswear

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts about Jack Spade's new menswear line? I saw it in the Bleeker St. store last night and I really liked the sport coat. It's not groundbreaking stuff (like a refined LL Bean), but I think the fit is excellent.

Link with pictures:

http://www.acquiremag.com/style/clot...-fall-2009.php

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jcrew with 2 times the retail

Largo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Looks like another generic menswear line...

This. They had some nice, unremarkable dark grey flannel (?) button-downs there, but nothing to get overly excited about. Slim fitting prep basics that are otherwise fairly run of the mill. Might buy it if it dropped to desperation pricing.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epaulet
Quoted for the absolute truth. Actually, J.Crew is a lot more creative than this. They should have thought to hire a menswear designer.

To the best of my knowledge, the menswear designer for Jack Spade is Cuan Hanly, who worked at Paul Smith for a long time. Did he only do womens stuff there?

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i get 40% off anything in this store through hookups, too bad i used to get it for free... woulda kopped @ free if they had this stuff 1-2 yyears ago

Fortysomething

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epaulet
Quoted for the absolute truth. Actually, J.Crew is a lot more creative than this. They should have thought to hire a menswear designer.

For those who dislike it (other than purely the way it appears in photos), how do you make that determination? I would think people would have to have actual experience with it (see it in person, feel the material, pay close attention to how it is sewn, etc.) before making a genuine evaluation of it. The same goes for thinking that it might be the greatest thing. Just curious.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fortysomething
For those who dislike it (other than purely the way it appears in photos), how do you make that determination? I would think people would have to have actual experience with it (see it in person, feel the material, pay close attention to how it is sewn, etc.) before making a genuine evaluation of it. The same goes for thinking that it might be the greatest thing. Just curious.

Admittedly, I know nothing about this line other than what I've seen in the photos. However, from what I've seen in the photos, it looks a lot like Jack Spade, which is to say that it is serviceable and boring. There is not a single piece in that collection that jumps out at me. If the fit is good, and the materials and prices decent, and I needed something for an interview, I might take a look. Otherwise, I would probably feel the same way that I do about the bags, which is that for around the same price, there are better options (waxed cotton? Get Krane. Leather? Get a Ralph Lauren bag.)

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
Jcrew with 2 times the retail

Was at the Pop Up Shop at Apartment #9 today in L.A.

I ended up buying a blue stripe oxford which I think has a better, more slim fit than J.Crew. But truth be told, the shirt really isn't much better than a $60 J.Crew Oxford, though the Jack Spade one cost $145. Oh well, I like it.

Had some real nice wool trousers and amazing cashmere sweaters too.

Casey

Reaction score
Well, I hate when people take staples and ruin them with baubles and stuff, so I think Jack Spade did a good job staying true to their brand. With that being said, I personally like the collection (which means I'm not comparing it to other brands).

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
They just opened up a new shop on Abbot Kinney here in Venice. Friday was a big launch party where they were handing out 20% off coupons. They're apparently also having a ping-pong tournament.
eh.gif

I looked at the clothes. They all looked decent; stuff I would wear, styles I liked. I then looked at the price tags and thought, "Gee, this all must be fairly good."

But it isn't.

Upon further inspection, everything is made in China. As a result, in the entire shop -- which was admittedly small -- I couldn't find a single item of clothing that made sense for the prices they were asking. I honestly cannot work out what is going on in there.

I like J. Crew, and I like Jack Spade. But if you're going to buy mass-market goods made in China, then J. Crew's prices make sense.

Jack Spade's don't.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads