• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Negotiating Good Car Deals...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think I know where he used to work, but it's been forever since I stepped through their doors.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't 9% off list price about standard when negotiating for a car? I wouldn't pay someone else to get that for me.

I'm a little choked about my last negotiation for a car. I made the mistake of giving details on another car I was looking at. That meant my room for negotiation was between the price of that other car, which I actually didn't really want, and the vehicle I was negotiating on. I think it would have been better to negotiate based on a price of zero, and the dealer's asking price, without bringing another car into the equation.

The dealer also told me the asking price was one thing and I noticed right after I'd agreed to buy, they publicized the list price on their website and it was a couple points less. I still did alright (about 10%) but I think I could have done better, since it was an American car in the middle of the recession.

I remember when my dad helped me buy my first car, we got 25% off the asking price. Mind you that was only a thousand bucks.

turboman808

Reaction score
I negotiate by simply walking away if I don't get what I want.

If it's a place I frequent I won't be such a ball buster. Getting a car built I was a bit annoyed with the close to 30 grand price tag(that was just labor). Guy does good work but still felt I got screwed a bit on the price. Suddenly getting a 5k bill right before he had to pay his employees Christmas bonuses really threw me off. He knocked a few grand off and we were both happy. I plan to use him in the future so I don't want to be a dick to him.

When I buy my first close to 95 grand car this winter you better believe I am gonna negotiate and squeeze the deal for every penny. In this case I don't need the car and if they don't give me my price I can just walk. Car I want is 95 grand and I want to pay 80 grand. See how close I get. I think I might just get that price in this economy. But in this case I will buy once and thats it. So I feel I can squeeze them a bit more.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This gent has two big things going for him:

one - it's not for him so he's objective and impassive. That's important, but more importantly...

two - he's negotiating by phone. There's a lot less poker playing going on: in person both parties are looking at each other wondering who wants it more. By phone it's strictly business: either you'll meet this number or you won't. Also, by phone - they're not going to park you in a waiting room and eat up your time, making you impatient to get the deal done.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
This gent has two big things going for him: one - it's not for him so he's objective and impassive. That's important, but more importantly... two - he's negotiating by phone. There's a lot less poker playing going on: in person both parties are looking at each other wondering who wants it more. By phone it's strictly business: either you'll meet this number or you won't. Also, by phone - they're not going to park you in a waiting room and eat up your time, making you impatient to get the deal done.
This. I've helped out several friends buy cars and I always get the deal done before we get there. A few times I've had salesman try and **** me with add-ons but I usually deal with the manager and settle on my price ahead of time.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Negotiating is one of my skills (and I don't have many
frown.gif
). My #1 rule, when I agree to help someone get a vehicle, is they have to be ready to walk at a nod from me. It's the only way.

Btw, if you're leasing, know how to work out your lease price with a calculator (simple formula) and do it in front of your salesman. They're so computer dependent these days, it's likely the leasing manager won't even know how to do it by hand! When I got my wife her MB, I kept telling the manager I would not pay the 1k "pack" the leasing software was putting into the price. He kept telling me it wasn't there. I worked through the formula and came up with a $999.99 difference in the cap cost. Told him I'd spot him the penny for rounding error, but I'd be damned if I'd pay the $999.99. He started laughing and admitted I was correct and we did the deal with my numbers.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Negotiating is one of my skills (and I don't have many
frown.gif
). My #1 rule, when I agree to help someone get a vehicle, is they have to be ready to walk at a nod from me. It's the only way.

Btw, if you're leasing, know how to work out your lease price with a calculator (simple formula) and do it in front of your salesman. They're so computer dependent these days, it's likely the leasing manager won't even know how to do it by hand! When I got my wife her MB, I kept telling the manager I would not pay the 1k "pack" the leasing software was putting into the price. He kept telling me it wasn't there. I worked through the formula and came up with a $999.99 difference in the cap cost. Told him I'd spot him the penny for rounding error, but I'd be damned if I'd pay the $999.99. He started laughing and admitted I was correct and we did the deal with my numbers.

want to come to Canada and negotiate for me???? I'm looking to buy a car!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
want to come to Canada and negotiate for me???? I'm looking to buy a car!
In this environment, you really don't have to be a negotiating genius to get a good deal. The secret is to do your homework and figure out how much over cost (after rebates, incentives, holdbacks, etc.) you're willing to spend. Get 2-3 dealers to compete with each other. The one that's willing to give you the deal you want, and is convenient for services, you'll buy from. Once you get this best price, then talk about financing. Always have a local bank or credit union in your back pocket. Get your dealer to beat this deal, and they often can. NEVER EVER NEGOTIATE BASED ON MONTHLY PAYMENTS. PERIOD. Once you have the price and the financing terms you wanted, stop. Don't haggle over pennies when you go in to sign the papers, it'll just create unwanted animosity that's not good for you or the dealer. (Yes, there are asshole customers who actually do this ****.) Remember, people like honey more than vinegar. Be nice, but firm, and you'll get what you want without pissing everybody off. Unless, of course, the dealer is an asshole...then you can just **** with them until the cows come home. Last thought: Yes, the end of the month and model year are the best times to buy.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Do I necessarily have to finance? Will it give me any room to work with if I'm willing to purchase the vehicle entirely? I posted this earlier and people told me this is not going to get me anywhere, and it hurts my situation.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do I necessarily have to finance? Will it give me any room to work with if I'm willing to purchase the vehicle entirely? I posted this earlier and people told me this is not going to get me anywhere, and it hurts my situation.
You don't have to finance with any dealer. But, financing gives the dealer a chance to make some extra profit. It shouldn't matter, but in the real world, some dealer might give up more on the front end (i.e. profit on the vehicle) to get some back in the back end (i.e. financing/leasing profit). The profit on the front end depends on the vehicle, with way more markup for used than new ones (waaay more than you'd ever think possible). In the back end, a quarter or half a point over their buy rate is fair, IMO.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
You don't have to finance with any dealer. But, financing gives the dealer a chance to make some extra profit. It shouldn't matter, but in the real world, some dealer might give up more on the front end (i.e. profit on the vehicle) to get some back in the back end (i.e. financing/leasing profit). The profit on the front end depends on the vehicle, with way more markup for used than new ones (waaay more than you'd ever think possible). In the back end, a quarter or half a point over their buy rate is fair, IMO.

There's a large markup on used vehicles?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There's a large markup on used vehicles?
Over what they buy them for, of course. How do you think they make money on them? If you're financing, make sure to get an agreement for outside financing first. This gives you a bargaining point. If you have to stick with dealer financing they've got you by the balls. Its either take this or walk. If you have an outside deal you can use it to bargain the rate and take their negotiating tool off the table.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
I know they get them at a cheaper price, but DarkNWorn led me to believe it is exorbitant.

Either way, thank you guys for bringing up points I had not previously thought.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Paying cash will not get you a better price. End of story.

Now, they can make money off financing you. If they can "sell paper" at say, 5%, and finance you at 6%, they get the spread. However, again, no one cares how you pay for it. It won't affect the sale price.

Whenever you are talking to the F&I (finance and insurance) guy, tell him you just want "the strip note."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads