• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crate Denim

N4UY

Reaction score
Crate denim, anyone ever heard of them? anyone own a pair? got a pair of raw james III from Barneys co op, looking to see if anyone else is familiar with Crate

Ahaz

Reaction score
The guys at Factory People like them. They've recommended them to me over more expensive jeans several times, but I've never actually gone for them (all they had was the bootcut model).

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that they fit well and that their schtick (using deadstock denim) is pretty cool. How sustainable, I do not know. The boot cut is not really pronounced. Certainly less than the RRDS, which I think is the jean the looks best on the largest variety of body types.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's with this huge bootcut backlash anyways? I understand not liking huge flares, but those have always looked horrible and a small bootcut looks fantastic. I'm a very large guy (6'4" and muscular 220 lbs) and those drain pipe jeans people seem to spaz out over now days just don't work for me.

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
What's with this huge bootcut backlash anyways? I understand not liking huge flares, but those have always looked horrible, but a small bootcut looks fantastic. I'm a very large guy (6'4" and muscular 220 lbs) and those drain pipe jeans people seem to spaz out over now days just don't work for me.
Stay with the bootcut. They're classics and beyond trends. Big guys with muscular legs wearing drainpipe jeans look like they're wearing denim leggings. Wear what works for you.

Reaction score

Ahaz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
What's with this huge bootcut backlash anyways? I understand not liking huge flares, but those have always looked horrible and a small bootcut looks fantastic. I'm a very large guy (6'4" and muscular 220 lbs) and those drain pipe jeans people seem to spaz out over now days just don't work for me.

[sarcasm]What's with this huge bootcut lovefest anyways? I'm a very small guy (5' 11" and not muscular 140 lbs) and those bootcut jeans people seem to spaz out over now days just don't work for me.[/sarcasm]

Dude, bootcuts look great on tons of people. I love my Olas. I'm skinny as ****, though, and for the most part stick to straight or tapered jeans.

It is my contention that a lot of skinny guys are forced to look to highend brands to find a pair of jeans that fit right. Bigger guys like you have an easier time picking up mall brands that will fit nicely. Of course, tapered or straight jeans seem to compliment the stick-figured guys, and bootcuts seem to compliment the tree trunk-figured guys. What might lead even more to the 'spazing out' over tapered jeans, however, is that this is a fashion board. As such, higher end labels tend to generate more discussion. These higher end labels will sometimes produce a bootcut model (Nudie, Studio d'Artisan, 5EP, etc.), but will, in general, be more focused on those zany skinny jeans. And thus, people might seem to hype or push skinny jeans, even though they would not look good on you.

N4UY

Reaction score
i pretty much have the exact same body stature as you ahaz, 5'11/140, and although i have never tried on olas, judging from what i have seen and heard, i think my Crates fit similar to olas, slim fit with a slight bootcut, and they are also pretty lightweight and soft for raw denim, unlike some other sheet metal jeans around.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And I thought I was skinny. At 5'7, 145lbs I have yet to find a pair of Straight legged jeans that fit me (without a slight bulge effect from my thighs). I have found boot cuts to have the best fit for me.

DrBot

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of Crate Sallys from Active Endeavors (last pair of size 30 I think). I'll try to post pics next Wed., when they arrive. They were $116 with 25% coupon code 'thanks'.

Metal Circus

Reaction score
I was really interested in them, but those back pockets are so low and feminine looking.

dimshum

Reaction score
does anyone have any idea of how they fit? i'm very interested in purchasing a pair, but i'm not sure if i should go with a size 30 or 31. my true waist size is 31.

manifest v

Reaction score
The newer James and Sally's are true waist sizes... very true. These are the snuggest size 34's I own. The stiffness of the black denim (raw) also make 'em a tad tighter. So I would order true to waist size.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Darn, no more 30 Waste "James IV" in black

DrBot

Reaction score
Here are those Sallys I said I would post today. Sorry about the blurryness. My only problem with them is that the top button hole is almost too small for the button, making it really hard to unbutton.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads