Originally Posted by tonio028
Care to give some sizing comparisons to other SF approved shirting brands for some guidance? I really like what I'm reading and seeing so far on the ToJ oxfords and have been following the thread and progress for a bit now, but haven't chimed in yet. The oxford was the first item I wanted to try to dive into the brand with. Generally for those who purchased recently, some typical to SF measurements on the shirt would be very helpful and shirt fit comparisons to other brands we're familiar with on the boards if/when you had the time would be appreciated on my end and I would think ToJ's end. People were hesitant for a while to jump in on Epaulet's shirting at first for this very reason, limited experience/sizing knowledge, but those who have followed have seen how that has grown. So help me help ToJ! Thanks.
When I measured my shirt fresh out of the box, it matched up with TOJ's size chart exactly (so kudos to whoever took the measurements). That said, here are measurements for my shirt at the moment: Size XS
after warm machine wash + hang dry + at least a day of wear (stretch)
- Shoulders, front: 16" (this is the way TOJ measures)
- Shoulders, back: 17.25" (from the very tips of the shoulders in the above diagram, rather than the seam junctions)
- Pit-to-pit: 19.25" (did not shrink in the wash, and is actually bigger than it was originally, probably due to stretch)
- Waist at the narrowest point (about halfway between pit and hem): 18.25"
- Hem width: 19.75" (surprised me, as I didn't notice any hip flare at all, as this measurement might suggest)
- Back length, bottom of collar to hem: 28.5" (shrunk from 29.25")
- Sleeve length, shoulder to cuff: 24.5" (shrunk from 25")
- Collar: 15.75" (actual measurement; will fit a 14.5-15 neck / "dress shirt size" best)
For reference, I'm 5'9", 130ish, ~35" chest, and this shirt is a damn near perfect MTM fit for me; my fit pics are here
. My best fitting shirts aside from this one are RRL selvedge oxfords in size S (fits slightly looser and longer) and BoO size S (slightly wider shoulders, probably narrower waist). Overall fit notes:
- Shoulders are on the narrower side (which is what Drew intended).
- Body cut is perfect, imo; a healthy taper towards the waist, but not as extreme of an "hourglass" shape as, say, BoO.
- Post-shrink body and sleeve lengths are perfect for those of average height, imo; looks good untucked, but can also be tucked.
- Hem is nicely cut, with just the right amount of curvature towards the sides (not BoO crazy).
- As has been mentioned, the forearms run slim (although the biceps are about average); the sleeve measures around 6" wide at the elbow and tapers evenly to a 4" wide cuff with no pleats. This isn't skin-tight, but it basically makes it impossible for me to roll up my sleeves comfortably, as I can't really fold the cuff over more than about twice. Really hoping Drew will loosen this up a little in the future, as it's my only complaint with the fit.
Alright, I think that's enough fit nerdery, but if you want any more info, just ask.