or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Red Wing 9111 after using "Silicone Waterproofing"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Red Wing 9111 after using "Silicone Waterproofing" - Page 2

post #16 of 36
This thread is just another example of silicone ruining something that was perfectly fine to begin with.
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by zissou View Post
This thread is just another example of silicone ruining something that was perfectly fine to begin with.

Now that is a great visual analogy.
post #18 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by axe View Post
Keep wearing them, the silicone will wear off soon enough.

TBH, it doesn't look all that different from the original.

yes, compare my pic (before and after) , found that just diff style instead of diff color
post #19 of 36
Thread Starter 
anyone knows the reason to cause that ? apply to much silicone ? or the way of application ?s
post #20 of 36
why does it look like that? very simple. the silicone stuff you sprayed on there is primarily used for suede leather. the leather on your Redwings was oil-tanned (chrome tanned + oil treatment/finish) and the primary way of water proofing oil-tanned leather is with an oil based product. the streaks are there because the silicone isn't getting absorbed.
post #21 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by axlpendergast View Post
why does it look like that? very simple. the silicone stuff you sprayed on there is primarily used for suede leather. the leather on your Redwings was oil-tanned (chrome tanned + oil treatment/finish) and the primary way of water proofing oil-tanned leather is with an oil based product.

the streaks are there because the silicone isn't getting absorbed.

according to the instuction come with the boot, silicone stuff can use for oil-tanned leather. and if u tried oli based (like mink oil) on the 9111 u will know how bad is the look (very dark color and very oil...)
post #22 of 36
Thread Starter 
FYI

post #23 of 36
^I think you maywant to read that again. That says to use silicone based products on dry tanned, not oil tanned.
post #24 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR View Post
^I think you maywant to read that again. That says to use silicone based products on dry tanned, not oil tanned.

rw9111 is oil-tanned or dry-tanned ?
post #25 of 36
Pretty sure it's oil (I have the 1907s, same leather, I use oil based products and they work fine).
post #26 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious_George View Post
Pretty sure it's oil (I have the 1907s, same leather, I use oil based products and they work fine).

which red wing is dry-tanned ?
post #27 of 36
split leather, or suede, are dry-tanned...i don't know what Red Wing have that's in suede. anyway back to your boots... - they definitely aren't suede - i'm 99.9% sure they are oil-tanned, the only other possibility would be vegetable-tanned but it's highly unlikely, those types of leather aren't really suited for making shoes much less boots. - real leather will darken with time and use. this is more noticeable on natural or light colored leather. to the best of my knowledge most leather conditioners/oils/waterproofing products will also cause light colored leather to do the same. if you don't want your boots to get dark then i don't know know what to tell ya. so back to what i said before: the primary products used in waterproofing (or maintaining) leather are oil based. i'm sorry dude. no matter how you want to argue you still used the wrong product. been there before. lucky for you, since the leather isn't absorbing the silicone that means if you wear it a lot eventually it'll come off. if you want it off in a jiffy then buy some saddle soap and get scrubbing. in the future you should probably choose something from this list - mink oil - pecard's boot oil/dressing - obenauf's - lexol i personally like lexol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy_hk View Post
which red wing is dry-tanned ?
post #28 of 36
Thread Starter 
bcoz mink oil for oil-tanned, but i saw my friends use mink oil for rw9111, to color became very very dark, actually looks very bad .... (of course mine also bad), thats why i tried silicone
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy_hk View Post
Red Wing 9111, 48hrs after using "Silicone Waterproofing" became like this :



The original should like this:



anyone can help, how to get back to the original color/looking ?
OK, They're boots. If your'e hiking or working, who cares, and if not, why are you wearing boots?
post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by solbro View Post
OK, They're boots. If your'e hiking or working, who cares, and if not, why are you wearing boots?

This thread hasn't been posted in since September last year. Good job.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Red Wing 9111 after using "Silicone Waterproofing"