or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Tods driving mocs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tods driving mocs

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I plan on buying a pair of Tods when I visit Italy in a couple weeks. Does anyone know how they run size wise? My other pairs of driving mocs are both 9 1/2's and they are by To Boot New York and JCrew.
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink22m
I plan on buying a pair of Tods when I visit Italy in a couple weeks. Does anyone know how they run size wise? My other pairs of driving mocs are both 9 1/2's and they are by To Boot New York and JCrew.

I wear a 9 1/2 in most laceups, sometimes a 9 if the toebox is wide enough. I take an 8 in Tod's.
post #3 of 16
I also go down at least one size, sometimes a size and one half in Tods.
post #4 of 16
I was looking at some Tods as well as To Boot yesterday?

How do others think the two compare? The To Boot looked much better honestly - much softer leather, etc.
post #5 of 16
Tod's sizing is very strange, I wear a 7EU in some a 8EU in others, its really one of the only shoes I'd never buy without trying on because of the variability. You'll enjoy the store near the Via Condotti, its large and filled with charming women.
post #6 of 16
I prefer Tod's, and if you are in NYC they can be had at C21 for under $200. I find the leather wears well and softens over time. My favorite driving shoe company has been bought by Prada and the label is now Car Shoe for Prada. I have only seen them in the US at Prada stores, and the only Car Shoe store I found in Italy was in Capri. They show a video in the store of how they are each handmade, and takes you through the whole process, really interesting.
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
I was looking at some Tods as well as To Boot yesterday?

How do others think the two compare? The To Boot looked much better honestly - much softer leather, etc.

I don't have any experience with Tods, so I can't tell you anything about them. I have thoroughly enjoyed my To Boot New York's however, and they have worn well over time, with the leather getting softer and the shoes getting more and more comfortable. They have elicited numerous compliments as well. The model that I own is the predecessor to the current model out, the Corsica, which has a pebble grain finish. I might end up buying a pair of Corsicas, especially given my satisfaction with To Boot. I recently purchased a pair by JCrew to knock around in while I am in Europe, and so far, they definetely feel inferior to my To Boots.

Quote:
I prefer Tod's, and if you are in NYC they can be had at C21 for under $200. I find the leather wears well and softens over time. My favorite driving shoe company has been bought by Prada and the label is now Car Shoe for Prada. I have only seen them in the US at Prada stores, and the only Car Shoe store I found in Italy was in Capri. They show a video in the store of how they are each handmade, and takes you through the whole process, really interesting.

I will have to check this place out. How much do the Car Shoe's run? A fellow forum member that I have messaged with who is from Italy, tells me there is a Car Shoe store in Milan on the same street as the Tods boutique on Via della Spiga.
post #8 of 16
My wife purchaed a pair of suede moc's for around $225, however this was 3 years ago, but they still look brand new after a lot of NYC abuse. I actually purchased mine through Bluefly for $125, when no one really heard of the brand. They are back on Bluefly, but it looks like they are quite a bit more. http://www.bluefly.com/pages/product...erer=p_froogle
post #9 of 16
Reportedly, Oprah wanted to do a show where at the end of it she'd give all audience members a free Tod's handbag. The CEO of Tod's instead of jumping at the chance to build brand image decided due to quality standards not to do it. I think that speaks volumes about the product.
post #10 of 16
I agree, Car Shoes are really nice, too. They are usually available on Yoox. Slightly cheaper than Car Shoes for Prada and Tod's.
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by whnay.
Reportedly, Oprah wanted to do a show where at the end of it she'd give all audience members a free Tod's handbag. The CEO of Tod's instead of jumping at the chance to build brand image decided due to quality standards not to do it. I think that speaks volumes about the product.

I'm skeptical. How in the world could Tod's not have sufficient stock for an Oprah audience? Was she wanting something special made at a moment's notice?

Beyond that, Tod's driving mocs aren't exactly the most durable things.
post #12 of 16
I heard it first hand from the Las Vegas store manager who used to work in Italy at the home office. From what he told me most bags you see in the store are created at a lot of not more than 100 for the world, usually 20 - 30% of that stock actually makes it to the states.
post #13 of 16
Have you seen her impact on books presented on her show? Worldwide demand would be too much for Tod's. I don't think Tod's wants to be that common.
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr monty
Have you seen her impact on books presented on her show? Worldwide demand would be too much for Tod's. I don't think Tod's wants to be that common.

Maybe I've underestimated Oprah's power for moving high-end goods. I can see selling books, but pricey accessories?

I wonder if any of the car models Oprah gave away got a boost out of it.
post #15 of 16
I doubt Tod's main market is the same as Oprah's main audience.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Tods driving mocs