or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Modern Tailor.com review - my experience
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Modern Tailor.com review - my experience - Page 4

post #46 of 685
I wonder how much they shrink if I send them to the cleaners. Anyone got ideas? Wondering if I should have gone an inch bigger to account for shrinkage after reading that other thread. But I wonder how that shirt fit the other guy before he threw it into the dryer, and also how much more shrinkage was due to the dryer rather than the wash.
post #47 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent View Post
Got my shirt today. Ordered a little before Christmas. Pretty darn quick turnaround time. Propercloth hasn't even said they made my shirt yet and I ordered that one at the beginning of December.

Either case, not complaining, did know the lag time when I ordered with PC. Just saying MT is freaking fast.

I think its a little too tight in the chest and waist. Not sure if there are supposed to be those folds where the shoulder is. Maybe its from the chest pulling. Used the measure your shirt option.

You're wearing your jeans too high. You are wearing jeans that are meant to sit at your hips, on your waist. That's why it's ducking in at the center (In case you were confused).
post #48 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent View Post
I think its a little too tight in the chest and waist. Not sure if there are supposed to be those folds where the shoulder is. Maybe its from the chest pulling. Used the measure your shirt option.

I think the chest and waist look fine. However I think you may want to reduce the "half bicep" measurement you provide them. The sleeves look very blousy in contrast to the slim body and I don't think the two work together. I'd slim the sleeves before loosening the body.
post #49 of 685
I got my shirt I ordered on the 23rd today. Major bonus point for fast turn around time. I also like the fabric and their measurements were spot on. The buttons are not great. I went for the MOP option. They're not as bad as the MOP buttons on my Hemrajani Bros shirt but they're average at best. My biggest complaint is the collar. I ordered their "cutaway" model. It's not what I'd consider a true cutaway... more of a wide spread (not a complaint as it doesn't look like a true cutaway on their website either). What I don't like about it is (1) the size and (2) the points don't lay flat on the shirt. The length of the collar points is 3.5". My Janztens are 3.25" and I think the extra 0.25" makes a huge difference... the collar seems too large for my face. Unfortunately Modern Tailor does not let you specify the length of your collar points. It's a bit hard to see in the photo below but the point on the right side does not touch the body of the shirt (hopefully this will go away with a wash and iron or possibly by a "soft" interlining choice) and the one of the left while touching in the photo does not always touch. I want to order more but I'm just not sure about the collar. Has anyone ordered a buttondown? I'd love to see what a buttondown looks like in real life (the picture on their website doesn't make me feel confident that it will "roll" correctly).
post #50 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc4golf View Post
I got my shirt I ordered on the 23rd today. Major bonus point for fast turn around time. I also like the fabric and their measurements were spot on.

The buttons are not great. I went for the MOP option. They're not as bad as the MOP buttons on my Hemrajani Bros shirt but they're average at best.

My biggest complaint is the collar. I ordered their "cutaway" model. It's not what I'd consider a true cutaway... more of a wide spread (not a complaint as it doesn't look like a true cutaway on their website either). What I don't like about it is (1) the size and (2) the points don't lay flat on the shirt. The length of the collar points is 3.5". My Janztens are 3.25" and I think the extra 0.25" makes a huge difference... the collar seems too large for my face. Unfortunately Modern Tailor does not let you specify the length of your collar points. It's a bit hard to see in the photo below but the point on the right side does not touch the body of the shirt (hopefully this will go away with a wash and iron or possibly by a "soft" interlining choice) and the one of the left while touching in the photo does not always touch.





I want to order more but I'm just not sure about the collar. Has anyone ordered a buttondown? I'd love to see what a buttondown looks like in real life (the picture on their website doesn't make me feel confident that it will "roll" correctly).

I have two of their shirts and one on the way. The two I have are the double button cut away collar. I had the same trouble as stated above so I started using longer collar stays. It seems to have helped. The one that is on its way is the single button cut away collar. I am hoping that it will reduce my problem.
post #51 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazeh View Post
also, i wanted my shirt length 25", they emailed me and recommended i make my shirt length 29". well, i made it 27" instead. the shirt they sent me is 25 inches long. so they didnt even pay attention to that. i dont care about that part but, they didnt even follow that! i emailed them with pics of my measurements and will see what they offer to do.

I just got my shirt from the $20 off deal that was posted in B&S (thanks again guys!). On one hand I'm impressed with the fast turnaround, the material, the construction and the fit EXCEPT for the length. I'm 5'8" also and have a very tough fit (16.75" neck, 40" chest, very sloped shoulders, and pot belly). They nailed the fit almost perfectly BUT the shirt is only 24" long!?!?!?! I mean this really sucks because this shirt barely makes it down to my waist and is completely unwearable.

Outside of the paper thin MOP buttons I'd say this shirt is as nice as my Jantzens. The material is definitely very nice for the price. And fit is great except for the length. I don't even know if I want to bother with contacting them and trying to sort it out. Great shirt except for the length.
post #52 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faded501s View Post
I just got my shirt from the $20 off deal that was posted in B&S (thanks again guys!). On one hand I'm impressed with the fast turnaround, the material, the construction and the fit EXCEPT for the length. I'm 5'8" also and have a very tough fit (16.75" neck, 40" chest, very sloped shoulders, and pot belly). They nailed the fit almost perfectly BUT the shirt is only 24" long!?!?!?! I mean this really sucks because this shirt barely makes it down to my waist and is completely unwearable.

Outside of the paper thin MOP buttons I'd say this shirt is as nice as my Jantzens. The material is definitely very nice for the price. And fit is great except for the length. I don't even know if I want to bother with contacting them and trying to sort it out. Great shirt except for the length.

What length did you specify?
post #53 of 685
Here is my first shirt from MT. I have used MyTailor/Hemrajani in the past and frankly I am far happier with MT, even though I was actually measured in person by MyTailor.

Fabric quality is entirely acceptable (two-ply of course). Next time I will lengthen the sleeves slightly and reduce the half-bicep measurement and waist by a bit as well, but for the price I am satisfied. This shirt will do fine for casual office wear.

Sorry about the photos. I have obviously not washed or ironed the shirt. Just wanted to show it.







post #54 of 685
Jw, what makes one shirt better constructed than another shirt? Anything I should be looking for? Or do I have to wear it for a year and see what happens? These shirts are so cheap and the fabric is pretty darn decent that I'm tempted to just go with them for most of my shirts. But I have reservations. I'm past the cheap dress shirt phase to just "get by." I'm looking for quality shirts that will last and look good.
post #55 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent View Post
These shirts are so cheap and the fabric is pretty darn decent that I'm tempted to just go with them for most of my shirts. But I have reservations. I'm past the cheap dress shirt phase to just "get by." I'm looking for quality shirts that will last and look good.

I'd agree, except I have a rotation of 20 shirts, and ever-growing... this means most shirts only get worn 15 or so times per year... and I only dry-clean once every five or so wears, or when they get dirty... so I think if I can make a $50 shirt last three years, I'm doing just fine.
post #56 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by unjung View Post
Here is my first shirt from MT.





Looks good for a first shirt.

Also, looks like you went with the cutaway but, from what I can see, you doesn't look like you're having a problem with the collar points not laying flat that coltboy75 had. Can I ask what you provided for your "back" input on them measurments section. I entered "average" and I'm wondering if I entered "straight" this would help.


Also, if anyone could post a pic of a real life Modern Tailor buttondown collar it'd be greatly appreciated.
post #57 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc4golf View Post
Looks good for a first shirt. Also, looks like you went with the cutaway but, from what I can see, you doesn't look like you're having a problem with the collar points not laying flat that coltboy75 had. Can I ask what you provided for your "back" input on them measurments section. I entered "average" and I'm wondering if I entered "straight" this would help. Also, if anyone could post a pic of a real life Modern Tailor buttondown collar it'd be greatly appreciated.
Yes, I did do cut-away. It's not really that much a of a "cut-away" anyway, and I like it much better. I used "average." I definitely don't stand ram-rod straight or leaning back. I suspect the collar point thing has more to do with the fabric and little peculiarities within the manufacturing process that are difficult to control. I put that I had a flat stomach, since I do. I just ordered a button-down shirt so we'll see how that turns out. My last shirt was ordered on Dec 15 and arrived today so shipping is slow, or at least was slow over the holidays.
post #58 of 685
I just bought a Modern Tailor shirt, great quality for price. I have a bit of an issue with the collar size being an inch to big, however will ajust that next time I order.
post #59 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobro View Post
I just bought a Modern Tailor shirt, great quality for price. I have a bit of an issue with the collar size being an inch to big, however will ajust that next time I order.

Make sure you wash the one you have a few times before making any decisions about the collar size, it is likely to shrink a bit.
post #60 of 685
I want to give MT a try, but was hoping someone has ordered a button down yet. I want to see how they do their button downs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Modern Tailor.com review - my experience