or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Modern Tailor.com review - my experience
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Modern Tailor.com review - my experience

post #1 of 683
Thread Starter 
Some background info: I am 5'8" 130 pounds.

narrow waist: 29"

my chest is 35"

hard for me to find a shirt that fits nicely around my waist/stomach area. i went to modern tailor.com ordered a slim fit shirt, put in all my measurements.

my shirt came back and the collar, sleeves and chest are fine. but there seems to be no taper whatsoever going down to the bottom of the shirt. maybe 1" at most. on the website it says they add 12cm to my measurements for slim fit. well, i measured the waist from seam to seam and i measured 18 inches, meaning 36" around. way too big. 7 inches bigger than i submitted! also, i wanted my shirt length 25", they emailed me and recommended i make my shirt length 29". well, i made it 27" instead. the shirt they sent me is 25 inches long. so they didnt even pay attention to that. i dont care about that part but, they didnt even follow that! i emailed them with pics of my measurements and will see what they offer to do.
LL
post #2 of 683
I've done the online "custom" shirt thing through Giorgenti, with much better results than this. But, if you want a properly fitting shirt, buy one you like off the B&S and have it tailored in person. Too easy.
post #3 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnh121 View Post
I've done the online "custom" shirt thing through Giorgenti, with much better results than this. But, if you want a properly fitting shirt, buy one you like off the B&S and have it tailored in person. Too easy.

Exactly. Any decent tailer can have the sides taken in and darts put on the back. The fit ends up being just how you want it.

Sorry it didn't work out for you though.
post #4 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazeh View Post
Some background info: I am 5'8" 130 pounds.

narrow waist: 29"

my chest is 35"

hard for me to find a shirt that fits nicely around my waist/stomach area. i went to modern tailor.com ordered a slim fit shirt, put in all my measurements.

my shirt came back and the collar, sleeves and chest are fine. but there seems to be no taper whatsoever going down to the bottom of the shirt. maybe 1" at most. on the website it says they add 12cm to my measurements for slim fit. well, i measured the waist from seam to seam and i measured 18 inches, meaning 36" around. way too big. 7 inches bigger than i submitted! also, i wanted my shirt length 25", they emailed me and recommended i make my shirt length 29". well, i made it 27" instead. the shirt they sent me is 25 inches long. so they didnt even pay attention to that. i dont care about that part but, they didnt even follow that! i emailed them with pics of my measurements and will see what they offer to do.

dumb question, how do you meausre shirt waist, actually on the waist line? If that's the case, how do you tell when you lay it flat?
post #5 of 683
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
dumb question, how do you meausre shirt waist, actually on the waist line? If that's the case, how do you tell when you lay it flat?

well, on the moderntalor site, they show in pictures where to measure for waist of the shirt.

so this shirt, i laid flat and measured from seam to seam across where i measure the waist and it was 18 inches across. my waist is 29 inches. on the website, they say they add 12cm to the submitted measurements for the slim fit shirts. if that were correct my shirt would only measure about 16 3/4 inches from seam to seam across the front where i measure waist. there is almost no taper whatsoever coming down from my chest to the bottom of the shirt.
post #6 of 683
Consider the first shirt a trial run - and adjust measurements for the 2nd one. After that you should be on track - unless they have a lot of variation (poor quality control on measurements) in their process.

I had very good success with my 1st shirt from them, and plan to order more. The fit (slim for me, too) is the best I've seen in any shirt I have bought (non-tailored). At $60 or so (inc. shipping), it's a great deal.

Hopefully it'll work out for you.
post #7 of 683
i thought they added to measurement to add for any shrinkage during wash??
post #8 of 683
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisFlyGuy View Post
i thought they added to measurement to add for any shrinkage during wash??
i dont know, on their site, they spell out, 'we add 12cm to your measurements for slim fitting shirts' they add even more cm's to the relaxed fit shirts.
post #9 of 683
Thread Starter 
well, still no word from modern tailor. they said they would get back to me yesterday. what do you guys think? will the shirt shrink to my desired fit around the waist after i wash it? probably not much....
post #10 of 683
There's no way it's going to shrink that much in the wash. I would have said that you should adjust the measurements accordingly and try for another shirt, but I don't have that much faith in moderntailor.com. It seems like they don't tailor it to your measurements, they just choose the closest basic pattern and hope that you don't notice.
post #11 of 683
Thread Starter 
yeah i didnt think so, well if they dont take care of this, then i will massacre them in forums, let everyone know about my experience. its one thing if I mess up my measurements myself, but when they obviously disregarded my waist measurement, they better fix it or remake my shirt.
post #12 of 683
Thread Starter 
they finally replied back to me and said they will remake my shirt for me, but they asked me to update my measurements in their website!!! i tried explaining the measurements are fine and that they made a mistake.....so annoying. i explained to them that according to their own policy, they are supposed to add 4.72 inches to the waist measurement i submitted, but that they actually added 7 inches.
post #13 of 683
How long did they take to get back to you? I emailed them about the large armholes on my shirt a few days ago but I haven't heard back.
post #14 of 683
Sounds like a nightmare, I would try tailorstore.com instead, I have a couple of shirts from there and I'm very pleased with them.
post #15 of 683
Alternate views on MT.

I have no beef in this, but they were pretty good for me. That being said, they should fix this.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Modern Tailor.com review - my experience