or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › pink colour for men
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

pink colour for men

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
OK, now the colour pink is ok for ties and shirts but why not suits for men?

Same for lavender. I find amazing fabrics to make into suits but am dissuaded by the pinkiness
i.e.



OK now this is NOT what I would wear to a job interview at Goldman Sachs but something like this adds colour to one's wardrobe.



Why this limitation, anyone know its origins?

-
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarthewild
Why this limitation, anyone know its origins?

I don't know its origin, but I do know that I find too much pink overwhelming. It's best as an accent color.
post #3 of 16
A man can wear pink in the form of many different garments(shirts, ties, odd jackets/trousers, socks, sweaters, pocket squares, etc.....) but it does seem to stop short at the suit. And while I don't know the reason, I do concur with the prevailing convention. I've seen both Elton John and Richard Pryor in pink suits, and it didn't offend my sensibilities but then they were on stage at the time.
post #4 of 16
Red/white seersucker looks pink at a distance. I think unless you have very dark skin, pink is not a flattering color.

I like color, but think it's best against a grounding color, i.e. I'll wear the pink pants, or a pink jacket, but not both at the same time.
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorse123
Red/white seersucker looks pink at a distance. I think unless you have very dark skin, pink is not a flattering color.

I like color, but think it's best against a grounding color, i.e. I'll wear the pink pants, or a pink jacket, but not both at the same time.

Well, I'd say it depends on the pink. I can't was a pastel or rose pink because my skin is too pale and it washes me out, but I can wear something stronger. The same goes for lavender.
post #6 of 16
I saw an elderly man in a tweed suit the other day - it was the Donegal variety, with multi-coloured flecks. In this case, about half of the flecks were pink, against a grey base colour. He looked great.

No offense, but that swatch of cloth in the first post looks like something my mother would wear.
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
...about half of the flecks were pink, against a grey base colour...

Okay I've seen this before. It actually looks quite good. The pink is subdued enough where it is not overpowering.

M8
post #8 of 16
Donegals with multi coloured kneps are among the most beautiful cloths in existence.
post #9 of 16
Such color suits only work well for people with very dark skin, which is why blacks tend to be able to wear very flamboyant clothing and not look unattractive.
post #10 of 16
Nothing is inherently bad about pink. It looks good on many men, in fact. However, psychologically it scares some, due to associations with the feminine. (Those with the pinkest skin usually are young females.) But that might not be the primary reason for the lack of pink suits, as pink dress shirts aren't uncommon. It's probably that way back when suits were first evolving, when they were protective outdoor garments, the dyes and materials for making them pink were not available.
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Such color suits only work well for people with very dark skin, which is why blacks tend to be able to wear very flamboyant clothing and not look unattractive.

Actually if you read Dress for Success by Molloy, you will find that ill-advised.

M8
post #12 of 16
Solid pink without a pattern would look a bit much, especially for someone who is caucasian with a lighter skin tone.

However, I've seen some nice tweeds that have some sort of pink tone in the pattern, and it looks nice.

Also, a gray (both light and dark) suit with a pink pinstripe, or pink-hued windowpane looks great.

I did see a sharp looking suit in the window of a local men's store - it was light gray, but the fabric had a light pinkish or lavendar cast to it - very subtle, but you could tell right away that it wasn't an ordinary gray suit. I believe it was by Zegna Napoli Couture.
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
Actually if you read Dress for Success by Molloy, you will find that ill-advised.

M8
I've never read that text, however I wouldn't take advice from those books as scripture considering some of the hideous stuff one can find in Flusser.
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I've never read that text, however I wouldn't take advice from those books as scripture considering some of the hideous stuff one can find in Flusser.

It was a good read for me in the mid 80's. I was a US Army officer at the time and needed to get a handle on dress standards in the business world. One of the things that I appreciated about the book was the way it advised Blacks and Latinos on how dress can affect peceptions in the work place (I'm Latino). I would recommend the book to anyone and everyone, though it may now be outdated.

M8
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
It was a good read for me in the mid 80's. I was a US Army officer at the time and needed to get a handle on dress standards in the business world. One of the things that I appreciated about the book was the way it advised Blacks and Latinos on how dress can affect peceptions in the work place (I'm Latino). I would recommend the book to anyone and everyone, though it may now be outdated.

M8
True, I can see why how wearing a pink suit would directly affect workplace perceptions.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › pink colour for men