or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Me messing around on my friend's Steinway
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Me messing around on my friend's Steinway - Page 2

post #16 of 24
Koji,

Have you done the Busoni arr. of the Chaconne?
post #17 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violinist
Koji,

Have you done the Busoni arr. of the Chaconne?

No, but I'm working on my own transcription of the Death and the Maiden Quartet of Schubert.

koji
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
No, but I'm working on my own transcription of the Death and the Maiden Quartet of Schubert.

koji

Really? Will you grace us with a performance in geriatric-land?

Jon.
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
No, but I'm working on my own transcription of the Death and the Maiden Quartet of Schubert.

koji

Koji... I was talking to a violinist acquaintance of mine whose touring as a pretty big soloist right now, and we discussed how shitty 99.9% of piano transcriptions of orchestra parts are. Concertos with piano can be such a chore to listen to sometimes. I wish someone would start working on doing much better transcriptions of concertos (I'm talking about the violin rep). Someone with chops could pull off a much richer texture because right now some of them just sound awful.

I heard someone do a transcription of the Mozart Dies Irae, that was really cool.
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Really? Will you grace us with a performance in geriatric-land?

Jon.

I know a bassist from Boca...
post #21 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Really? Will you grace us with a performance in geriatric-land?

Jon.

Hopefully, sometime in the fall/winter.

koji
post #22 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violinist
Koji... I was talking to a violinist acquaintance of mine whose touring as a pretty big soloist right now, and we discussed how shitty 99.9% of piano transcriptions of orchestra parts are. Concertos with piano can be such a chore to listen to sometimes. I wish someone would start working on doing much better transcriptions of concertos (I'm talking about the violin rep). Someone with chops could pull off a much richer texture because right now some of them just sound awful.

I heard someone do a transcription of the Mozart Dies Irae, that was really cool.

I know; in addition to sounding bad, those "transcriptions" are also painfully awkward to play. On the rare occasion when I had the time and inclination to actually work on them well, I did some touch-up things and re-writing to help out (because so many of them aren't actually written by very good pianists).
A transcription of the Mozart Requiem I think has been done (not sure by whom), but that's certainly another piece that merits a serious rendering.

koji
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
I know; in addition to sounding bad, those "transcriptions" are also painfully awkward to play. On the rare occasion when I had the time and inclination to actually work on them well, I did some touch-up things and re-writing to help out (because so many of them aren't actually written by very good pianists).
A transcription of the Mozart Requiem I think has been done (not sure by whom), but that's certainly another piece that merits a serious rendering.

koji


I want to find a pianist to do transcriptions of big symphonic pieces with a violin part for sort of a virtuoso/show piece type thing. That's a project I'm going to do in a few years.

I didn't know a lot of these things are so awkward. I did Prokofiev concerto no.2 and my accompanist found some weird things in there to play (although she'd done it many many times).
post #24 of 24
The sunglasses maneuver in the middle of the Tchaikovsky is classic!

--Andre
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Me messing around on my friend's Steinway