• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim Pleated Pants?

Knowledge is King

Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions for a reliable source of slim, pleated wool trousers? Single or double pleat works. Thanks.

Coburn

Reaction score
I'm bumping the thread because I'd like to hear some suggestions.

Originally Posted by Knowledge is King
Anyone have suggestions for a reliable source of slim, pleated wool trousers? Single or double pleat works. Thanks.

IBJanky

Reaction score
Slim and pleated?

That's like an oxymoron
lol8[1].gif

myke

DandySF

Reaction score
One approach would be to find a pair that fits reasonably well and them have them tailored so that they fit perfectly, especially through the hips, seat, and thigh. I'm beginning to move away from well-fitting pleated pants to slimmer flat fronts. I find the pleated pants are just too voluminous.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two pair, but they're vintage. Grey virgin wool flannels --one warm grey, one cool -- given to me by a friend from Italy. One is marked "Actualite" and other is "Nobleman for La Rinascente.

The drape is great and they're fairly slim straight down, no taper. Not like Dior Homme slim, but...

If you couldn't see the top part, you wouldn't know they were pleated.

Living in an exclusively flat front world can be a drag.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slim pants with pleats are pulled open. They don't have the natural drape intended for pleats. They don't work because they don't look properly fitted.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I could see a single reverse pleat possibly working, but you'd also need to cuff it. At that point you're basically defeating the purpose of slim fitting office pants.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Slim pants with pleats are pulled open. They don't have the natural drape intended for pleats. They don't work because they don't look properly fitted.

The ones I have are straight down and not tapered -- and not so slim that the pleats are pulled open. Also, the pleats aren't deeply set-in. They're on the small side.

I guess you have to get vintage Italian ones to get the proper cut.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
I could see a single reverse pleat possibly working, but you'd also need to cuff it. At that point you're basically defeating the purpose of slim fitting office pants.

The ones I have are double pleated, but smaller pleats. and they both actually do have cuffs.

I no longer have an office thanks to the recession, so it's not a big deal for me right now.
confused.gif

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC
The ones I have are double pleated, but smaller pleats. and they both actually do have cuffs.

I no longer have an office thanks to the recession, so it's not a big deal for me right now.
confused.gif

When you're in office pants, my friend, the world is your office.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
When you're in office pants, my friend, the world is your office.

Thanks for the laugh!

Knowledge is King

Reaction score
Just because pants are pleated doesn't mean they can't be slim through most of the leg. If the rise is appropriate and the pleat is deep enough, it can work easily. I'm basically looking for more crotch room and better drape across the lap area while keeping a relatively narrow leg. I think good examples of pleated pants that are still slim are those worn by Mafoofan and Incontro (amongst others). Both of those guys use custom tailors though which I'm not looking to do.
70251529.jpg

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
On a pair of bespoke trousers, the tailor can adjust the amount of material that is folded over to create the pleating that can still give a slim leg. But if you are thinking of taking-in a pair of OTR trousers with pleats, then there is a limit to how much you can take in without pulling the pleats open.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not true. I have several pairs of quite slim, double inward-facing pleated pants
with very low rise purchased in Paris in the '80s, or at the late-lamented Andre
Oliver in New York, imported from France. Later I purchased dress slacks, also
from Paris with a somewhat fuller leg, but double-pleated and low rise. These from
Arthur et Fox which has received excellent review in this forum. Finally,
a pair of flannels from the now-defunct San Francisco branch of Swaine Adney,
also short rise and double pleated and quite slim

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads