or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Where should I buy a Patek Philippe Calatrava from?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where should I buy a Patek Philippe Calatrava from?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Hey guys,

I posted a while ago asking for recommendations for a watch for my dad for his 50th and decided on the PP Calatrava (5196G/R depending whether he decides on rose gold/brown leather or white gold/black leather).

So, where's the best place to buy this from? We've seen it in person so know it's what he wants, but I'd assume that buying it online would save quite a bit of money. Obviously, it has to be a reputable seller.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Daniel
post #2 of 20
Hi Daniel, The dealer who sells Patek in Jamaica is Tropicana Jewellers; I have bought several Panerai's from them. Call and ask for Sanjay, and let him know that you were referred from Ken Rose. The store operates at the highest integrity possible.
post #3 of 20
If you're buying online, be prepared to pay up to 20% more than what you paid on import tax unless you can find a seller who will mark it <$1000.
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielvh View Post
Hey guys,

I posted a while ago asking for recommendations for a watch for my dad for his 50th and decided on the PP Calatrava (5196G/R depending whether he decides on rose gold/brown leather or white gold/black leather).

So, where's the best place to buy this from? We've seen it in person so know it's what he wants, but I'd assume that buying it online would save quite a bit of money. Obviously, it has to be a reputable seller.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Daniel


Buying such an expensive watch online is VERY risky -- especially from a seller from outside of the U.S. Think about it, there will be no recourse if the watch is damaged, or a fake. Don't trust anyone on this forum -- including me.
post #5 of 20
Unless you are buying from a Patek dealer. Lol; would you buy "online" from the Beverly Hills dealer? How many Patek dealers are in your city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensenH View Post
Buying such an expensive watch online is VERY risky -- especially from a seller from outside of the U.S. Think about it, there will be no recourse if the watch is damaged, or a fake. Don't trust anyone on this forum -- including me.
post #6 of 20
For a Patek I would definitely recommend an authorized dealer.
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenRose View Post
Unless you are buying from a Patek dealer. Lol; would you buy "online" from the Beverly Hills dealer? How many Patek dealers are in your city?

Patek, or any other premium watch, dealers are not authroized to sell the watches online.

I, however, would not discount any of the reputable grey market dealers out there. There are considerable savings to be had over an AD's price.
post #8 of 20
post #9 of 20
The PP 5196 is a very nice Calatrava. If you live in Australia, I would purchase the watch in Australia as it simplifies the purchase and you won't have to deal with import taxes. However it seems all the PP authorized dealers are on the east coast, so unless you are willing to visit Sydney or Melbourne, you may have to purchase the watch sight unseen.

I would start my calling some dealers in Sydney and Melbourne and see what they have in their inventory. Tell them where you live and the fact there are no ADs in your area, but you are seriously interested in purchasing this watch and see what kind of deal they can offer you.
post #10 of 20
OK..... Tropicana is an authorized dealer selling Panerai, breguet, and Patek. Yes. They are allowed to sell over the internet. No, they do not have a website set up but how do you think people communicate? 80% of their dealings are via email. In fact, most of their correspondence between Patek and them come from email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post
Patek, or any other premium watch, dealers are not authroized to sell the watches online.

I, however, would not discount any of the reputable grey market dealers out there. There are considerable savings to be had over an AD's price.
post #11 of 20
I would advise that for watches >10K, it would be best to buy it in person. Too many risks in buying online. If you must, I would suggest that you get a faster delivery option with tracking. I would also expect the seller to take pictures of the item prior to shipping.

Alternatively, I've been told that ADs in Hong Kong and Singapore offer very decent discounts relative to Australia. Might be worth your while to check it out if you happen to be on a business trip or holiday there.
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenRose View Post
OK..... Tropicana is an authorized dealer selling Panerai, breguet, and Patek. Yes. They are allowed to sell over the internet. No, they do not have a website set up but how do you think people communicate? 80% of their dealings are via email. In fact, most of their correspondence between Patek and them come from email.

Authorized dealers are naturally allowed to email customers - they, however, cannot post watches on the internet for sale. What you're describing is not the latter.
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensenH View Post
Buying such an expensive watch online is VERY risky -- especially from a seller from outside of the U.S. Think about it, there will be no recourse if the watch is damaged, or a fake. Don't trust anyone on this forum -- including me.
+100
post #14 of 20
No, what I'm not describing is the latter. What you read while interpreting it is the latter. Go back and re-read what I first suggested. "Hi Daniel, The dealer who sells Patek in Jamaica is Tropicana Jewellers; I have bought several Panerai's from them. Call and ask for Sanjay, and let him know that you were referred from Ken Rose. The store operates at the highest integrity possible."[/u][/u]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post
Authorized dealers are naturally allowed to email customers - they, however, cannot post watches on the internet for sale. What you're describing is not the latter.
post #15 of 20
My two pence: a receipt from a Patek boutique (or Authorised Dealer) is worth its weight in gold. Well, not quite it's weight... coz... it's about 1 gram... Oh hell, you know what I mean. Great choice for a watch; please post some pix when you get it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Where should I buy a Patek Philippe Calatrava from?