or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Peal & Company Brooks Brothers Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Peal & Company Brooks Brothers Shoes - Page 3

post #31 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats View Post
I find that on the few English made shoes I have (JLP and Peal), the leather at the laces comes completely together, one side touches the other, when laced. This prevents the laces from pulling the shoe tighter around one's foot. It also makes the shoe look more "put together" in a sense, the tongue is almost completely hidden, etc. But it does also seem to eliminate the wearer's ability to wear the shoe tighter than a point predetermined by the guy who cut the leather in the first place. American shoes never seem to be cut this way.
Is this just "the way it is" with English made shoes? Does this apply to all English shoes? As a person with somewhat narrower feet than the average bear, it has kept me away from buying English shoes, on occaision, especially as they are so seldom offered in widths, just like sneakers at Wal-Mart.
Anyone else noticed this or found it to be a problem for them?

This is not limited to English-made shoes. My AE Soho's are like this, and to a lesser extent another pair of AE bals. I think it speaks to the need to get the width just right. All my AE's are D width, and my foot is definitely on the very narrow end of D, if not really a C.

I'm off for a field trip to BB in Chestnut Hill Mass. to see what they have and how I can part myself from my money.
post #32 of 147
Since my sense of aesthetics is so out-of-whack that I actually bought these shoes, perhaps I'll give them a cream treatment to see what happens. If I like the results, then you know it didn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorse123 View Post
Interesting idea. They could end up looking fantastic, or even uglier.
post #33 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral Stairs View Post
Since my sense of aesthetics is so out-of-whack that I actually bought these shoes, perhaps I'll give them a cream treatment to see what happens. If I like the results, then you know it didn't work.

I think they're an ideal candidate for a diy dyeing/antiquing project.
post #34 of 147
Just got my first Peal shoes (made in England). Just curious, can anyone tell who makes this shoe?





post #35 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydream View Post
Just got my first Peal shoes (made in England). Just curious, can anyone tell who makes this shoe?


C&J - good shoe!
post #36 of 147
Wearing this pair in burgundy that I got cheap ($160?) last year for the first time today: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize= I am satisfied.
post #37 of 147
The C&J Peals have a single row of nails on the heel while the AS Peals have a double row. Also, the C&Js have a three digit last number (like the British tan wingtip derbies above, i.e. the "240" inside the shoe).
post #38 of 147
Does anyone know who makes the Peal & Co perforated captoe, and can anyone attest to their quality? Having bought some Peal loafers which although nice could have been bought for less directly from Loake, I want to make sure before pulling the trigger.
post #39 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by vncrz View Post
Does anyone know who makes the Peal & Co perforated captoe, and can anyone attest to their quality?



Having bought some Peal loafers which although nice could have been bought for less directly from Loake, I want to make sure before pulling the trigger.

As far as I know, Loake doesn't make Peal shoes.
post #40 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by vncrz View Post
Does anyone know who makes the Peal & Co perforated captoe, and can anyone attest to their quality?



Having bought some Peal loafers which although nice could have been bought for less directly from Loake, I want to make sure before pulling the trigger.

C&J, 240 last. Have a pair, like them. Run a bit narrow, went up a half size on my foot. Good quality, channeled soles. From what I understand, they are somewhere between C&J bench grade and C&J main in quality, ie better then main, not quite as good as hand.
post #41 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_esq View Post
As far as I know, Loake doesn't make Peal shoes.

The "lightweight" Peals are made by Loake. At least I'm 99% sure for my loafers: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...0&postcount=11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archivist View Post
C&J, 240 last. Have a pair, like them. Run a bit narrow, went up a half size on my foot. Good quality, channeled soles. From what I understand, they are somewhere between C&J bench grade and C&J main in quality, ie better then main, not quite as good as hand.

Thanks, sounds like a good deal at $366 starting tomorrow with the 25% off sale.
post #42 of 147
I have those in brown and they're some of my favorite shoes. Great quality leather, very well made.
post #43 of 147
I thought these were Alfred Sargent. At least I am pretty sure the ones I have are.
post #44 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster View Post
I thought these were Alfred Sargent. At least I am pretty sure the ones I have are.

Perf. captoes are CJ made,100%. They are on 240 last.
post #45 of 147
I know, dumb question, do Peal and Co. shoes fit on average narrower than the Aldens and the AE for BB offerings?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Peal & Company Brooks Brothers Shoes