• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

miles davis you f***s

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is there a thread for this motherfucker? holy christ he's the best thing that's ever happened to music. ******* AND PUT ON SOME MILES. KIND OF BLUE AND SOME BACON

emptym

Reaction score
I'm listening to him now: It Never Entered My Mind. In college I made some friends listen to it while lying down on the floor in the dark, so they could focus on the music.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kind of Blue is teh epic for sure. Birth of Cool of course as well, yes, Bitches Brew was significant, but to be honest I usually remember him more for who he worked with/inlfuenced (Parker, Coltrane, Shorter, Hancock, Zawinul, etc.) than for his soloing/recording. For sure he had a major impact on the dominant jazz style of the day for nearly 20 years, and for his body of work as a band leader few, if any, compared.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
while i have zero recollection of posting this thread, i do understand where i was coming from. ******* miles, man. live-evil to start a sunday.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I heard the premiere of "Sketches of Brazil", a long-form composition by Miles' former 80's keyboardist (and nephew) Robert "Babee" Irving III. It took the idea behind "Sketches of Spain" into a Brazilian/samba direction, combining original melodies with re-arrangements of Brazilian compositions by Heitor Villa-Lobos. Gil Evans' son Miles Evans played in the trumpet section and Wallace Roney played a very Miles-ish lead trumpet. I hope this gets onto CD. (http://www.sketchesofbrazil.com/Sket...azil/Home.html)

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Europe they call him 1.6 Kilometers Davis
lol8[1].gif

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a hate-love relationship with Miles.

Round Midnight is probably my favorite Miles CD. For Coltrane, mostly.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer Chat Baker .

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Huge Miles fan here; prefer the bop but even like his funk period. A great trumpet player and real visionary.

Get the Kind of Blue 50th anniversary set. Also look for the chronically underrated "Miles Smiles" album.

I like Chet too but he can't hold Miles jock strap.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe I am a marsupial but I don't find Kind of Blue to be all that great. I never intentionally put it on.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ClaretandBlue
Fixed that for you.

I can't stand Jazz.. sorry.
eh.gif
blush.gif

+1. What an odd opinion.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
+1. What an odd opinion.

It is not odd. I understand where he is coming from. Perhaps 10% of all Jazz music are truly enjoyable the rest is quite mediocre and self-indulgent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics