• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kia got Style?

SoulPatcher

Reaction score
As a few may know, Kia has put in a major effort to revamping themselves and actually filled their chief Designer position with Peter Schreyer, formerly of Audi, to supply the new look. Doing some work with Kia on the Forte, and curious to see what you guys think of the new design(s).

Here is a vid of Peter going over the details of the Forte design:

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still ugly. But its competitors are pretty ugly too.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not great looking, but just a bit better than average compared to cars in its class. You can see lots of "borrowed" design cues from other cars which makes the car appear confused to me -- it tries to have aggressive and sporty elements, yet most of the car is designed in a way that makes it look stocky and bulky, as if to give the illusion that it is larger and possibly more spacious than its competition. Interesting they didn't have any clear profile shots of the car in the video.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if saturn can make a good looking car, then i think the potential is there for anybody.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by js4design
if saturn can make a good looking car, then i think the potential is there for anybody.

They're just stealing cars from Opel.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
They're just stealing cars from Opel.

everything i've read has this generation of the opel gt as a rebadged saturn sky, hence the production in delaware. plus either way it goes i don't think it counts as stealing since they're both under gm.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
everything i've read has this generation of the opel gt as a rebadged saturn sky, hence the production in delaware. plus either way it goes i don't think it counts as stealing since they're both under gm.

Were under GM... it was GM's euro design team that did the Opels, but they weren't really intended for US sales, so in a way it was "stealing." They saw a great looking car and just sent them over here so they didn't have to spend money designing another car for the US market; it was a smart move, I'd say. As for upcoming Saturns, I would guess it all depends on what Penske wants to do with it now that they own it.

SoulPatcher

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
Not great looking, but just a bit better than average compared to cars in its class. You can see lots of "borrowed" design cues from other cars which makes the car appear confused to me -- it tries to have aggressive and sporty elements, yet most of the car is designed in a way that makes it look stocky and bulky, as if to give the illusion that it is larger and possibly more spacious than its competition. Interesting they didn't have any clear profile shots of the car in the video.

The video did lack a side view as you noted. Here is a profile shot link from the motortrend review:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_08.html

The auto press generally feels it is a step in the right direction, and combined with the previous car he designed (the Soul), a fairly large departure from their past designs. That said, I did enjoy your analysis.

That is correct, both Saturn and Vauxhall are just different versions of existing Opels for different countries.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoulPatcher
The video did lack a side view as you noted. Here is a profile shot link from the motortrend review:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_08.html

The auto press generally feels it is a step in the right direction, and combined with the previous car he designed (the Soul), a fairly large departure from their past designs. That said, I did enjoy your analysis.

Interesting... looks a bit more Acura TSX from the side.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know if Kia has style but style is really not determined by the badge on the front. The Saturn Sky is a sweet-looking car, and every design Lexus ever puts out is a piece of dog pile. You ever look at a 5-10 year old Lexus? They look like jelly beans.

turboman808

Reaction score
I think this is great. Causes the other manufacturers to really up the game level. Porsche still has leather as an option and sells the base models with plastic. I find that unacceptable. Jaguar on the other hand does not let a car leave the factory with anything other then leather and suede.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
I think this is great. Causes the other manufacturers to really up the game level. Porsche still has leather as an option and sells the base models with plastic. I find that unacceptable. Jaguar on the other hand does not let a car leave the factory with anything other then leather and suede.

They also do not let a car leave the factory without engine failures.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Honestly, this is a pretty good car. Starts at under $15k, 174 horses, 25/32 MPG, Kia warranty, etc. It will sell like hotcakes.

turboman808

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
They also do not let a car leave the factory without engine failures.

Wow your about 15 years to late with that remark. Won JD Powers award over honda and toyota last year. Try again
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads