• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why hate the navy blazer?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe I am blind (or maybe I don't read too good), but I never noticed all of the hared for the navy blazer. I can't think of one piece of clothing that I wear more. I also cannot think of one well dressed man that I have known who didn't rely heavily on his blazer.

Why do all of you guys hate them so?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Count me out of the haters, I love mine. In fact, I've got three, one for any occasion.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed here. Perfect for many occasions.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I could never hate it. The navy blazer is a true necessity.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't hate them, but I don't like them either.

They're just neutral, a blank canvas.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I've never expressed hatred of the navy blazer, but I am in the camp of "I hate navy blazers". To me, stylistically-they are far too conservative and come from a historical tradition that I don't relate to. Whether or not this stereotype applies to its wearer, the message one sends wearing a navy blazer is "I am an uppity old stodger", at least in the circles I run in. Obviously the message is different in a different circle of folks, probably to the exact opposite. Ultimately, I just don't like the way they look....on me.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I've never expressed hatred of the navy blazer, but I am in the camp of "I hate navy blazers". To me, stylistically-they are far too conservative and come from a historical tradition that I don't relate to.

Interesting to hear you say this. From what I can tell, your band draws from a diverse musical wellspring which includes prominently the bands of the British Invasion. And your response made me think to a Wes Anderson quote, about how he originally wanted to score Rushmore with only Kinks songs, because "they played loud, angry, teenage rock songs, and they wore blazers and ties and our movie is about a teenager who is loud and angry, and he is almost never seen without his blazer and tie."

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are we talking about the traditional navy blazer with brass buttons and all, or a navy odd jacket? If the latter, I find mine indispensible and very versatile.

--Andre

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Are we talking about the traditional navy blazer with brass buttons and all, or a navy odd jacket? If the latter, I find mine indispensible and very versatile.

--Andre

Agreed, though I'll never voluntarily wear one.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
Agreed, though I'll never voluntarily wear one.

Huh?

Why not JA? Why all the hostility towards it?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not hostile toward navy blazers, I wear mine quite often, despite its crappy construction. I _really_ need to replace my blazer.

alflauren

Reaction score
I love the navy jacket because it's easy, and it gives me "old guy" street cred. (I am 26). Right now, I only have a navy odd jacket, but I am in the process of getting a Silverstone blazer from STP tailored. I'm also having the tailor add these "City of London" buttons.

302_CityofLondonGold.jpg

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Interesting to hear you say this. From what I can tell, your band draws from a diverse musical wellspring which includes prominently the bands of the British Invasion. And your response made me think to a Wes Anderson quote, about how he originally wanted to score Rushmore with only Kinks songs, because "they played loud, angry, teenage rock songs, and they wore blazers and ties and our movie is about a teenager who is loud and angry, and he is almost never seen without his blazer and tie."

to clarify, I'm not keen on the "classic nautical navy blazer" (a la Thurston Howell III)....altho as others have mentioned, the navy odd jacket is a-ok in my book. The Kinks are definitely music heroes of mine, and I've always admired their attire in the mid 60s period of the band.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alflauren
I love the navy jacket because it's easy, and it gives me "old guy" street cred. (I am 26). Right now, I only have a navy odd jacket, but I am in the process of getting a Silverstone blazer from STP tailored. I'm also having the tailor add these "City of London" buttons.

302_CityofLondonGold.jpg

I have the exact opposite feeling towards the blazer. I like it but refuse to wear mine to anything that has to do with work precisely because I associate it with being the default dress-up choice for college kids.

After a few years, I will wear it again without a second thought.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads