or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why hate the navy blazer?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why hate the navy blazer? - Page 3

post #31 of 200
Count me as a gold-button hater, and I'm not a huge fan of the navy jacket. I have a very nice one, but I always feel like one of my brown sportcoats works better. I have a brown corduroy sportcoat for fall/winter, and a khaki-colored linen sportcoat for sping/summer. These get much more use than my navy blazer, which I find old-mannish. On a somewhat related note, if you're fairly short (5'9" or thereabouts), don't odd jackets break up your profile and make you look shorter? Should I stay away from all sportcoats and blazers?
post #32 of 200
I had the buttons on my blue blazers replaced with smoke mother of pearl buttons.

John, what if Seraphin made a navy blazer? Maybe in some sort of suede or antelope?
post #33 of 200
I have blue horn buttons on all my blue blazer/odd jackets but I did see some interesting blue Cloisinette buttons(with gold) in China that I may try.
post #34 of 200
Don't be hatin'......
post #35 of 200
Blazers just don't work for me. Not hatred, just not for me.
post #36 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
But are not the buttons a defining element of the blazer? Take away the gilt and aren't you left with a navy odd jacket?

The history of the blazer (and buttons) is very interesting. Apparently, the buttons had the family coat of arms or one's 'club' insignia upon them. Does anyone still have buttons with their family or club insignia?

The blazer wasn't always navy blue either. The shades of blue varied as did the types of buttons and the button placement. (DB, SB, # of buttons on sleeves)

The blazer seems to have gotten its name from the early wearers who's odd jackets had stripes and their club's loud colors on them. The jackets started to become so bright with colors that they earned the name "blazer".

I wonder, is it the buttons that give it the name "blazer"? That seems to be the identifying characteristic but not how the blazer became what it is today.
post #37 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tck13
The history of the blazer (and buttons) is very interesting. Apparently, the buttons had the family coat of arms or one's 'club' insignia upon them. Does anyone still have buttons with their family or club insignia?
.

Most of the eastern and southeastern schools have blazer buttons with the school crest. And I have been out of the fraternity business for some 40 odd years but I wouldn't be surprised if the fraternity buttons still exist.

A close bud has been volunteering at the Crosby (nee AT&T) for 26 years and senior staff of the volunteers get a blue blazer with a snappy blazer patch.

I have about 6 Navy blue blazers, ranging from a Brioni 2 button down to a Pat Zileri from Ebay that I wear on airline flights, up to several DBs, some with gold buttons some with out and some with enamel/gold.

Perry
post #38 of 200
post #39 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMan
Are they petit-bourgeois?
No. They're more like "vigile de supermarché"

!luc
post #40 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Dandy
Count me as a gold-button hater, and I'm not a huge fan of the navy jacket. I have a very nice one, but I always feel like one of my brown sportcoats works better. I have a brown corduroy sportcoat for fall/winter, and a khaki-colored linen sportcoat for sping/summer. These get much more use than my navy blazer, which I find old-mannish. On a somewhat related note, if you're fairly short (5'9" or thereabouts), don't odd jackets break up your profile and make you look shorter? Should I stay away from all sportcoats and blazers?
Depends on the length of the jacket and the pattern. I'm 5'7 (wear size 36) and I favour plain or textured sportscoats with a slightly shorter length than suits coats. Narrow shoulders and trim fit will help too.

!luc
post #41 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMan
I had the buttons on my blue blazers replaced with smoke mother of pearl buttons.

John, what if Seraphin made a navy blazer? Maybe in some sort of suede or antelope?

I thought that madman was on it.
post #42 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
No. They're more like "vigile de supermarché"

!luc

OK, now, I have been to France frequently enough to almost get that joke.
post #43 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
No. They're more like "vigile de supermarché"

!luc

Ou simplement garde de sécurité d'un immeuble du centre-ville.
post #44 of 200
I can't stand traditional brass buttons on my blazer. That being said, I picked up a nice double-vent Dunhill last year, removed the brass buttons, and replaced them with non-descript corozo. It makes for a nice addition to the wardrobe, though the worsted wool makes it a bit too dressy for casual wear.
post #45 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Ou simplement garde de sécurité d'un immeuble du centre-ville.
Our vigile wears a shapeless 3B black suit. Of course, we are not a supermarché ... more an atelier de pressurage.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why hate the navy blazer?