or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why hate the navy blazer?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why hate the navy blazer?

post #1 of 200
Thread Starter 
Maybe I am blind (or maybe I don't read too good), but I never noticed all of the hared for the navy blazer. I can't think of one piece of clothing that I wear more. I also cannot think of one well dressed man that I have known who didn't rely heavily on his blazer.

Why do all of you guys hate them so?
post #2 of 200
Count me out of the haters, I love mine. In fact, I've got three, one for any occasion.
post #3 of 200
No hate here. I think it's one of the most versatile (and essential) pieces in a man's wardrobe.
post #4 of 200
Agreed here. Perfect for many occasions.
post #5 of 200
I could never hate it. The navy blazer is a true necessity.
post #6 of 200
I don't hate them, but I don't like them either.

They're just neutral, a blank canvas.
post #7 of 200
I've never expressed hatred of the navy blazer, but I am in the camp of "I hate navy blazers". To me, stylistically-they are far too conservative and come from a historical tradition that I don't relate to. Whether or not this stereotype applies to its wearer, the message one sends wearing a navy blazer is "I am an uppity old stodger", at least in the circles I run in. Obviously the message is different in a different circle of folks, probably to the exact opposite. Ultimately, I just don't like the way they look....on me.
post #8 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I've never expressed hatred of the navy blazer, but I am in the camp of "I hate navy blazers". To me, stylistically-they are far too conservative and come from a historical tradition that I don't relate to.

Interesting to hear you say this. From what I can tell, your band draws from a diverse musical wellspring which includes prominently the bands of the British Invasion. And your response made me think to a Wes Anderson quote, about how he originally wanted to score Rushmore with only Kinks songs, because "they played loud, angry, teenage rock songs, and they wore blazers and ties and our movie is about a teenager who is loud and angry, and he is almost never seen without his blazer and tie."
post #9 of 200
Are we talking about the traditional navy blazer with brass buttons and all, or a navy odd jacket? If the latter, I find mine indispensible and very versatile.

--Andre
post #10 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Are we talking about the traditional navy blazer with brass buttons and all, or a navy odd jacket? If the latter, I find mine indispensible and very versatile.

--Andre

Agreed, though I'll never voluntarily wear one.
post #11 of 200
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnapril
Agreed, though I'll never voluntarily wear one.

Huh?

Why not JA? Why all the hostility towards it?
post #12 of 200
I'm not hostile toward navy blazers, I wear mine quite often, despite its crappy construction. I _really_ need to replace my blazer.
post #13 of 200
I love the navy jacket because it's easy, and it gives me "old guy" street cred. (I am 26). Right now, I only have a navy odd jacket, but I am in the process of getting a Silverstone blazer from STP tailored. I'm also having the tailor add these "City of London" buttons.

post #14 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Interesting to hear you say this. From what I can tell, your band draws from a diverse musical wellspring which includes prominently the bands of the British Invasion. And your response made me think to a Wes Anderson quote, about how he originally wanted to score Rushmore with only Kinks songs, because "they played loud, angry, teenage rock songs, and they wore blazers and ties and our movie is about a teenager who is loud and angry, and he is almost never seen without his blazer and tie."

to clarify, I'm not keen on the "classic nautical navy blazer" (a la Thurston Howell III)....altho as others have mentioned, the navy odd jacket is a-ok in my book. The Kinks are definitely music heroes of mine, and I've always admired their attire in the mid 60s period of the band.
post #15 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by alflauren
I love the navy jacket because it's easy, and it gives me "old guy" street cred. (I am 26). Right now, I only have a navy odd jacket, but I am in the process of getting a Silverstone blazer from STP tailored. I'm also having the tailor add these "City of London" buttons.


I have the exact opposite feeling towards the blazer. I like it but refuse to wear mine to anything that has to do with work precisely because I associate it with being the default dress-up choice for college kids.

After a few years, I will wear it again without a second thought.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why hate the navy blazer?