or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Rebel Style (Hardcover) by G. Bruce Boyer out in May 2006
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rebel Style (Hardcover) by G. Bruce Boyer out in May 2006

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 


Speaking of the rebel, Boyer is devoting a book to it.

Rebel Style (Hardcover)
by G. Bruce Boyer http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/284...Fencoding=UTF8


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
List Price: $18.95
Price: $12.89 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
You Save: $6.06 (31%)
post #2 of 17
Thanks for the reminder. I forgot about this. I think the publication date got pushed back since last time I checked.

Assouline's other recent book Racing Style is very interesting as well.
post #3 of 17
I wonder if Boyer is qualified to speak about that sort of thing.

It seems it would be more like a project for the late Gilles Néret or Luc Sante.
post #4 of 17
what's with brando's eyes? does he use heavy eyeliners?
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidicboy
what's with brando's eyes? does he use heavy eyeliners?
He just got punched in the face a lot. He coulda been a contender. He coulda been somebody.
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Apparently this book is now available if anyone is interested. Also if anyone has seen it, what did you think?
post #7 of 17
I hope it has more written content than Boyer's last one did. I'll stop by Barnes & Noble today and check it out.
post #8 of 17
It's only 80 pages...

I hope he makes good use of it.
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soph
Apparently this book is now available if anyone is interested. Also if anyone has seen it, what did you think?


is it? Amazon says it is still a pre-release. 80 pages...ouch, i hope it's 70 pages of photos. But I'm def into checking it out....it will go nicely with my other books on 1950s "rebel style".
post #10 of 17
I ordered this book along with "The Suit", got them both today....

Rebel Style is terrible. Very superficial, very short....about 10 pages of text, nothing insightful or interesting to read....then the rest are all photos, but most arent very original. Lots of obvious ones of Brando & Dean, and they go through the decades into Easy Rider and punks and hip hop. Unless you've NEVER seen a book like this (of which there are quite a few) there's nothing new here and a waste of the $12 it costs.

Thumbs way down.
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I ordered this book along with "The Suit", got them both today....

Rebel Style is terrible. Very superficial, very short....about 10 pages of text, nothing insightful or interesting to read....then the rest are all photos, but most arent very original. Lots of obvious ones of Brando & Dean, and they go through the decades into Easy Rider and punks and hip hop. Unless you've NEVER seen a book like this (of which there are quite a few) there's nothing new here and a waste of the $12 it costs.

Thumbs way down.

Thanks for the heads up. I ordered "The Suit" about 30 minutes ago and I was thinking about cancelling and adding "Rebel Style" to my order. I don't think I'll do that, though...That's another $12 I'll be able to spend on a pair of Polo C&J (this is a serious addiction!)
post #12 of 17
As I've reiterated before, Boyer is not one to be speaking about rebel style. Academic-wise, this topic should be left to the French establishment. When a country accepts Jean Genet into the most proper circles, we know it can combine gravitas and heedlessness.
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I ordered this book along with "The Suit", got them both today....

Rebel Style is terrible. Very superficial, very short....about 10 pages of text, nothing insightful or interesting to read....then the rest are all photos, but most arent very original. Lots of obvious ones of Brando & Dean, and they go through the decades into Easy Rider and punks and hip hop. Unless you've NEVER seen a book like this (of which there are quite a few) there's nothing new here and a waste of the $12 it costs.

Thumbs way down.

Can you mention some other books on that style of clothing? That is probably my favorite style of clothing and dress. I didn't know that there were books out there about that particular style of dress.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tck13
Can you mention some other books on that style of clothing? That is probably my favorite style of clothing and dress. I didn't know that there were books out there about that particular style of dress.


If you want an all-encompassing one, a better book than "Rebel Style" is "Haircults" (dont have any specific author, publisher info right now) which is a better account of different youth styles throughout the decades. While it's a glance look at all of them, in the short space it devotes to each style, the photos are more interesting and the accompanying short text also has more insight within its briefness.

For the 50s "rebel style", a book called "Teenage Confidential" is a good one, as is "All Shook Up" which focuses on the 50s London youth scene. Also "Teds" is a great photobook of 1950s-1970s UK Teddy Boys. Another one worth looking into is "Rockers" about the 60s British "Ton Up Boys" (bikers)
post #15 of 17
Reminder: Bruce is having a book party on June 14th at Jay Kos (Park Avenue) open to the members of the various fora.

Wear your best leather jacket!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Rebel Style (Hardcover) by G. Bruce Boyer out in May 2006