• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo Shirts--Do not Like.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do not like the look of the Polo Shirt. They inevitably bring to mind "professional" sorts wearing some baggy thing at a company outing or picnic. I think I prefer someone wearing a slim tee-shirt than a "pricey" polo shirt. However, the Fred Perry polos that the skinheads used to wear are acceptable.
2318824538_7348300588.jpg

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fred Perry are the only ones I wear- I love the stripes on the sleeves and collar and deeper placket. Most polos do bring to mind some boring accountant wearing it tucked into baggy pleated khakis. A rather heinous thought.
smile.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sorry but whenever they are worn, they have this oozing aura of utter squareness and all that is bad about heterosexuality.
obama_bike.jpg

GucciKid

Reaction score
+1, I cannot stand polo shirts. The only ones I would consider wearing would be something like a RLPL polo, slim fit and IMO it must be tucked in. I refuse to wear anything with a little horse or crocodile on it.

phillyesq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Nonsense, they're a great, casual shirt.

+1

I don't understand the dislike for polo shirts. I really enjoy them.

I don't care for the look of polos that are two sizes too large, but as long as the size is proper, I see no objection.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GucciKid
+1, I cannot stand polo shirts. The only ones I would consider wearing would be something like a RLPL polo, slim fit and IMO it must be tucked in. I refuse to wear anything with a little horse or crocodile on it.

I was against polos for a while...but I'm starting to wear them more now...but only if they are slim fitting, vs the tents that most people wear.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GucciKid
I refuse to wear anything with a little horse or crocodile on it.

Originally Posted by cadillac37
cl014.jpg

This guy looks rather ok in them.

+1 note that Mr. Craig/Bond's polo has no logo.

Personally, I'm not a fan of polos, particularly ones in obnoxious colors. What I hate the most are the logos on them. Branding should be discrete.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's the same for everything, though. If worn correctly (correct sizing etc.), then it looks better than if you wear something unsuited to your size/shape. Polo logos don't bother me too much.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu
+1 note that Mr. Craig/Bond's polo has no logo.

This is important. Also helpful:

• fitted
  • self-collar, not ribbed like some stretched-out underwear waistband
  • only tucked in if it's really long
  • in Bond's case, probably made by Ted Baker

JaPo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
2318824538_7348300588.jpg

Surely you could have procured a more flattering model than this grotesque poser, LK. GetSmart does it well. I think polo shirts are decent. Not wishing to sound Xenox, but the presence of buttons does make them more versatile than a t-shirt. I find, somehow, the FP laurels and the Lacoste croc more tasteful than the RL pony. So long as it fits well on the sleeves, the collar is well shaped, and it isn't too short - you're good to go. @Unrefinery: I believe his are made by 'Sunspel'. Won't look so good on a regular guy, though.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have a gut, polos look better on you than t-shirts.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery
This is important. Also helpful:

• fitted
  • self-collar, not ribbed like some stretched-out underwear waistband
  • only tucked in if it's really long
  • in Bond's case, probably made by Ted Baker

That one Daniel Craig is wearing in the photo is by Sunspel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads