or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › creases in jacket sleeves HRH POW
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

creases in jacket sleeves HRH POW

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
Its a controversial David Reeves post.

What do you think about creases in Jacket sleeves as worn by Prince Charles? Is it of military origin? Being a bit of a modernist and loving everything uptight, creased, strached and button downed I rather like it. I also think it looks rather futuristic somehow.

Does anybody in the world apart from him do this?
post #2 of 41
Picture?
post #3 of 41
Futuristic--what do you think of Hardy Amies's predictions for menswear?
post #4 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by triniboy27 View Post
Picture?

Sorry I am in a dodgy internet Cafe, no one speaks English and I am having difficulty right clicking.

Theres loads of pictures of him like this on the Net if someone could do the honours.....
post #5 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
Futuristic--what do you think of Hardy Amies's predictions for menswear?

I adore Hardy Amies but time has proven him wrong twice in regards his predictions about 4 button coats.

I like his suits in 2001.
post #6 of 41
post #7 of 41
Not feeling it. It adds a hard line to what is a 'soft' jacket, if that makes any sense...
post #8 of 41
It can look very good. It does have its background in military styling, but then again, doesn't everything? If I had someone to press my suits that way I would probably do it too, but I do like the more military tailors on the Row.
post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reeves View Post
Its a controversial David Reeves post.

What do you think about creases in Jacket sleeves as worn by Prince Charles? Is it of military origin? Being a bit of a modernist and loving everything uptight, creased, strached and button downed I rather like it. I also think it looks rather futuristic somehow.

Does anybody in the world apart from him do this?

I stayed at the Alvear Palace in Buenos Aires couple years, which assigns butlers to guests...here's a pic:



One of the things is that they empty your bags for you and arrange to have you clothes hung and pressed.

At any rate, a lot of surprising things in BA are very old school, and one of the things that they do at the Alvear is that they press jacket sleeves with a crease. I'm not sure what the origin is, but it made me jump out my skin when I saw it. I tried it out while I was there, but when I returned, I was happy to return to a creaseless sleeve world.


- B
post #10 of 41
^^Hmmm had the same experience at the Ritz in Atlanta a few years ago (pressed creases in sleeves...) - just figured somebody didn't know what they were doing.
post #11 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by triniboy27 View Post
Not feeling it. It adds a hard line to what is a 'soft' jacket, if that makes any sense...

Ahhh, but it may suit my house style since I favour very hard lines.
post #12 of 41
At one time the practice was standard, even by commercial dry cleaners before automated pressing machines. It's of military derivation. The crease on the back of the sleeve also facilitates proper sleeve drape when hanging, and folding within luggage. Chuck's jacket sleeves have always been creased.

It's a practice apparently now as archaic as a neat vertical crease in one's shirt's collar - center back, which is the finishing touch to hand pressing a collar from the front edges backward. The process limits collar front wrinkling.
post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by I. Gentantithesis View Post
At one time the practice was standard, even by commercial dry cleaners before automated pressing machines. It's of military derivation. The crease on the back of the sleeve also facilitates proper sleeve drape when hanging, and folding within luggage. Chuck's jacket sleeves have always been creased.

It's a practice apparently now as archaic as a neat vertical crease in one's shirt's collar - center back, which is the finishing touch to hand pressing a collar from the front edges backward. The process limits collar front wrinkling.

Interesting. Thank you.


- B
post #14 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien View Post
It can look very good.



It does have its background in military styling, but then again, doesn't everything? If I had someone to press my suits that way I would probably do it too, but I do like the more military tailors on the Row.

Prince Charles always looks superbly attired.
post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien View Post




- B
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › creases in jacket sleeves HRH POW