or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › -- Shoe Care -> Los Angeles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

-- Shoe Care -> Los Angeles

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hello,

This is my first post here, and I must say, there is a wealth of priceless information on styleforum; glad to be a member. Anyways, I have just started collecting some nicer dress shoes and have been using the search button to get some good shoe care advice. My question, however, is if any of you know where I might find a nice, one-stop high-end/regular shoe store where I might be able to pick up some quality shoe care products/shoe trees, etc. in the Los Angeles area. I know a couple cobblers in my area have some things but they have limited stock and high prices. Thanks!

post #2 of 12
Do not be discouraged by your location.

Locate any well stocked shoe repair shop and they will have the shoe care products. and find a store with AE products for those items.

Get, at a minimum, Lexoil cleaner and Lexoil conditioner. You con find posts recommending others - none that Knock these products. apply the conditioner to any new shoes. Apply the conditioner to your shoes before you polish. Don't rub too hard.

Then use Meltonian cream for the polish. Available in many, many shades. Buffs out great. No polish really protects shoes from water - no matter how they describe the benefits of wax. The best devense is to have a conditioning cream polish uncer the damage, clean it as best you can with Lexoil, then more of the conditioning cream from Meltonian.
post #3 of 12
I hate to blatantly contradict, but water runs off shoes protected with a good layer of wax, and in contrast can soak in to shoes that have only had cream used. I really don't see a good counter argument here. Wax doesn't hurt the leather; it's been used and recommended by all the best makers for hundreds of years. I see no reason to reinvent the wheel.
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
Thanks alot for the help! I actually found a well-known cobbler here in W. Hollywood that apparently repairs high-end shoes for celebs, etc. so I am hoping I may be able to find some decent products there. I appreciate the product recommendations as well, I was pretty lost as far as knowing what to buy...
post #5 of 12
Use Lexol ("Lexol," not "Lexoil") with care. The cleaner can strip color if you use too much or rub too heavily. The conditioner can darken leather, so use caution on mid-brown or lighter shoes--I have used it to intentionally darken some of my lighter colored shoes.

I rarely have occasion to use the Lexol cleaner, since you can usually brush or wipe off day to day grime without the need for a chemical cleaner. I do like to use the conditioner every few polishings.

I agree with J that a wax polish does have a water repellent effect. It won't *waterproof* the shoes, but it will cause splashes and minor spills to bead up, allowing you to wipe them off if they don't actually run off.

I've been using Angelus polish lately, after many years of using Kiwi. I think Angelus gives a slightly nicer shine that lasts longer than the Kiwi, but both work fine. I do not like Kiwi Parade Gloss polish, which contains silicone.
post #6 of 12
Personally I prefer Lincoln polish to Kiwi (haven't tried Angelus, Saphir, etc) - the cans are nice and big and open easily, the polish doesn't seem to crack as much and have flakes fall out, and it does a great mirror shine.

I am open to trying other brands, but Lincoln is the best one my guy carries, so I have a bunch of that.
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
Thanks alot for the help! I actually found a well-known cobbler here in W. Hollywood that apparently repairs high-end shoes for celebs, etc. so I am hoping I may be able to find some decent products there. I appreciate the product recommendations as well, I was pretty lost as far as knowing what to buy...
which?
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
^^ The place is called Pasquale's; it is on San Vicente, it is a shoe repair place with a quaint little cafe attached.

Thanks again for the info.
I went to the shop today and bought some products, but they only carry Meltonian (sp?) products. I got the cleaner/conditioner, and a couple pots of polishing cream. Is this a decent brand? Anyone had a bad experience with it? I think I should be fine in terms of the creams darkening my shoes since I only have dark brown and black shoes (I am a newb)......
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
^^ The place is called Pasquale's; it is on San Vicente, it is a shoe repair place with a quaint little cafe attached.

Thanks again for the info.
I went to the shop today and bought some products, but they only carry Meltonian (sp?) products. I got the cleaner/conditioner, and a couple pots of polishing cream. Is this a decent brand? Anyone had a bad experience with it? I think I should be fine in terms of the creams darkening my shoes since I only have dark brown and black shoes (I am a newb)......
Meltonian is the good stuff in terms of cream. You will want some wax polish too, but Kiwi is fine for that (unless you can find Lincoln or something better, and it's a very marginal 'better'), and you can get that anywhere, the grocery store, drugstore etc. Don't get the "Parade Gloss" kind, just get the regular black and brown in the tins.
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
I have a question regarding the polishing:

I took my shoes to a repair place and had toe taps put on them, when I got them back they had an extremely high gloss shine on the toe; I thought nothing of it. When I was polishing them last night and applying the wax, what seemed to be many razor thin flakes of plastic/silicone kept coming out and flaking off. Is this possibly a silicone-based spray shine that the cobbler applied, or am I doing something wrong? My Meltonian lotion/conditioner did nothing to get the stuff out, but a hard scrub with a brush has worked a little bit.......ideas?
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
I have a question regarding the polishing:

I took my shoes to a repair place and had toe taps put on them, when I got them back they had an extremely high gloss shine on the toe; I thought nothing of it. When I was polishing them last night and applying the wax, what seemed to be many razor thin flakes of plastic/silicone kept coming out and flaking off. Is this possibly a silicone-based spray shine that the cobbler applied, or am I doing something wrong? My Meltonian lotion/conditioner did nothing to get the stuff out, but a hard scrub with a brush has worked a little bit.......ideas?
You should ask the cobbler what he did to the shoes, and what would take it off if it's anything but wax polish. It could just be wax, but who knows? I imagine there are shine sprays that just paint a coat of shiny black on there.

Woe betide the cobbler that ever brings something like that near my shoes. They should keep in mind that they work in a small enclosed space with lots of flammable materials, and are usually trapped behind a counter.
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Heh heh, yeah, it pissed me off because he did a really crappy job on toe taps too, thank god I am am a fairly forgiving person. I definitely need to ask what he did to them. Thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › -- Shoe Care -> Los Angeles