or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Four-door Sedan: Which would you choose?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Four-door Sedan: Which would you choose? - Page 4

post #46 of 117
That's an I-L but I totally agree with you. The 740i sport just has this great balance and presence about it.

A.
post #47 of 117
Maybe an armoured car....
post #48 of 117
My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that I simply don't understand "sport sedans." When I want to drive a sports car, I drive a sports car. When I want do be in a sedan, it's because I want to be comfortable. I don't want a sports car ride. I don't want carbon fiber accents. I want wood, and leather, and deep carpets, and luxury limo suspension. In my opinion, you're getting the worst of both worlds. You're getting some speed, but not as fast as a similarly priced sports car, and you're getting some luxury, but not as much as if you didn't get the sporty model. I have never bought a "sport sedan" and honestly can't see myself ever doing so. Luxury should be luxury in every possible way, and sport should be sport. I think combining the two is unsucessful both in principle and in execution.
post #49 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83
My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that I simply don't understand "sport sedans." When I want to drive a sports car, I drive a sports car. When I want do be in a sedan, it's because I want to be comfortable. I don't want a sports car ride. I don't want carbon fiber accents. I want wood, and leather, and deep carpets, and luxury limo suspension. In my opinion, you're getting the worst of both worlds. You're getting some speed, but not as fast as a similarly priced sports car, and you're getting some luxury, but not as much as if you didn't get the sporty model. I have never bought a "sport sedan" and honestly can't see myself ever doing so. Luxury should be luxury in every possible way, and sport should be sport. I think combining the two is unsucessful both in principle and in execution.
The whole problem with that, of course, is that you have to own two cars. Nice for those who can afford it, but for those who can't, the "sport sedan" offers a taste of both worlds.
post #50 of 117
If money were no object, I'd probably go with a Bentley Continental Flying Spur. If I didn't have to park the car in LA I'd probably choose a model of the Bentley Arnage, but there are too many compact parking spaces in LA to have to deal with a car that massive.
post #51 of 117
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83
My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that I simply don't understand "sport sedans." When I want to drive a sports car, I drive a sports car. When I want do be in a sedan, it's because I want to be comfortable. I don't want a sports car ride. I don't want carbon fiber accents. I want wood, and leather, and deep carpets, and luxury limo suspension. In my opinion, you're getting the worst of both worlds. You're getting some speed, but not as fast as a similarly priced sports car, and you're getting some luxury, but not as much as if you didn't get the sporty model. I have never bought a "sport sedan" and honestly can't see myself ever doing so. Luxury should be luxury in every possible way, and sport should be sport. I think combining the two is unsucessful both in principle and in execution.

Performance is also a form of luxury, and with the modern materials and modern technologies available today, the performance of larger, heavier cars has improved considerably. CAD in particular, has made possible things that previously were merely the stuff of dreams. To some extent, this allows us to have our cake and eat it too.

While I would probably still own a sports coupe if money were no object (the Bentley Continental GT and GTC come immediately to mind, as does the BMW 650 convertible and M6 -- for me the most bearable of the Bangle designs), there are often times when a 4-door sedan would be the optimum car for the occasion. At those times, I would want to sacrifice as little performance as possible and maximize my driving pleasure.

I never stipulated that you could only have one car. You can keep an entire stable of your favorite sports cars, but you must also choose a 4-door sedan that, for you, optimizes style, function and performance. Which would you choose?
post #52 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red

While I would probably still own a sports coupe if money were no object (the Bentley Continental GT and GTC come immediately to mind, as does the BMW 650 convertible and M6 -- for me the most bearable of the Bangle designs),


i'd send it to fisker and have him transform it into this beauty



post #53 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Actually, it's an i. Have a second look at the rear model number. And the back door is too short to be an iL.
You're right, I only looked at the bottom right pic (where the car is shaded by the tree), it looks longer there.
post #54 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbc
The whole problem with that, of course, is that you have to own two cars. Nice for those who can afford it, but for those who can't, the "sport sedan" offers a taste of both worlds.
Right. I can't help thinking that a sport sedan is for someone who can't afford both. I know that's not true, and someone with an S65 probably has enough money to buy a true sports car too. BUT, I still don't see the appeal of driving four other people to dinner going 0-60 in 4 seconds with a hard suspension. If you need to drive other people in a luxury car, you want them and yourself to be as comfortable as possible. And if you don't, then drive a real sports car. I just don't get it.
post #55 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
I never stipulated that you could only have one car. You can keep an entire stable of your favorite sports cars, but you must also choose a 4-door sedan that, for you, optimizes style, function and performance. Which would you choose?
A8 at reasonable budget. Arnage at higher budget, assuming I could also have an AWD wagon of some sort. Need AWD for northeast winters.
post #56 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Right. I can't help thinking that a sport sedan is for someone who can't afford both. I know that's not true, and someone with an S65 probably has enough money to buy a true sports car too. BUT, I still don't see the appeal of driving four other people to dinner going 0-60 in 4 seconds with a hard suspension. If you need to drive other people in a luxury car, you want them and yourself to be as comfortable as possible. And if you don't, then drive a real sports car. I just don't get it.
Well, it has air-adjustable suspension. You simply set the suspension to firm and can drive like a bat out of hell, or set the suspension to soft and drive like Miss Daisy. Plus, at $190,000 how many S65 AMG’s do you think they sell anyways? I don’t see the S65 as a ‘sports sedan’. I see the M5, S4, RS4, WRX STi, etc…as sports sedans. And again, they are ‘sports sedans’, not ‘super-car sedans’. Jon.
post #57 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83
A8 at reasonable budget. Arnage at higher budget, assuming I could also have an AWD wagon of some sort. Need AWD for northeast winters.

Audi S6 Avant: 450 bhp V10 (from a Lamborghini) AND Quattro AWD. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

Jon.
post #58 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I'll take a black '01 740i Sport any day over a new 7.



If I had to take a new one, gimme a M5 please.

I love, Love, LOVE the old 7-series. Especially the manual transmission 740i's with sports package or the ultra-rare 750i's (all 2 of them) with manual transmission and sports package.

I was watching the movie "˜The Game' the other night and Michael Douglas's character drives a black 750Li and I can't believe how good the car looks, even as a decade in age passes it by. It just had presence. And everything about it was well designed, from the dash, to the seats, to the exterior, to the kidney grill. Everything was as perfect as possible in that car.

Fucking Bangle!

Jon.
post #59 of 117
The E60 M5 has been seen testing in wagon form. That's what I'd get for a wagon.

--Andre
post #60 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
The E60 M5 has been seen testing in wagon form. That's what I'd get for a wagon.

--Andre

Yes, but he mentioned that he wanted a AWD wagon, and the M5 is RWD.

Jon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Four-door Sedan: Which would you choose?