or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › best/worst corporate logos
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

best/worst corporate logos - Page 4

post #46 of 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkoak
I like Merrill Lynch's bull logo and Singapore Airlines' logo. Singapore Airlines's logo is actually a very clever design incorporating banana leaves (abundant in tropical islands) and a bird.

Speaking of airline logos, one of my favorite fonts is the one used by Emirates airlines in their logo and in-flight literature. I like it even better than Myriad Apple. Does anyone know where to find this font?



post #47 of 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
green is an example. also burgundy/maroon, if paired with beige interior and wood trim.

i like the bmw logo, but i wouldn't count it as one of the best.
I would disagree, like J said, they would never put out a colour that clashed with the roundel. To each is own, but every green/red/beige I've ever seen on a BMW has complimented the white and blue of their logo.

A.
post #48 of 487
Not a logo per se, but a great image that essentially captures everything a company stands for:

post #49 of 487
while we're on about cars:

post #50 of 487
a couple of old AT&T logos. I hate what they've done with the new one.
post #51 of 487
here's a nice one:
post #52 of 487
one of the most recognizable, another classic:
post #53 of 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SD
The font is probably designed by Pentagram (arguably the best design firm in existence)

You posted a link to Pentagram in another thread, I beleive. I followed it up and was looking at their 'marks' section -- the simplest little elements they created conveyed so mush. I really enjoyed looking at them.

Regards,
Huntsman
post #54 of 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
Commence shocked whinging.

Actually, I've been in a US Post Office with swastikas, in mosaic and by design, in the floor tiling. The PO is turn of the century and they face the wrong way -- it was a symbol of good harvest or something similar in the local culture. I'm pretty sure they're still there.

~ Huntsman
post #55 of 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
At the time of the logo, I don't think BMW had made a car, and all the motorcycles were black. Regardless, I also don't think they have ever put out a paint color that clashes with the roundel blue.


BMW started off making airplane engines. The symbol is supposed to represent a running airplane prop with the blue sections as "sky". I also suspect that the look might be influenced by the Bavarian flag, but I have no proof of this connection.
post #56 of 487
I've always liked the Freightliner logo actually. I think the Apple..well, Apple is a good logo as well.
post #57 of 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGuy
BMW started off making airplane engines. The symbol is supposed to represent a running airplane prop with the blue sections as "sky". I also suspect that the look might be influenced by the Bavarian flag, but I have no proof of this connection.
Exactly - the first BMW motorcycle was made with one of the same cylinders off of a BMW radial airplane engine, then with two cylinders, and that is the design that continues today in my bike and in the brand new R-series. The first BMW cars used the motorcycle engine.
post #58 of 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Actually, I've been in a US Post Office with swastikas, in mosaic and by design, in the floor tiling. The PO is turn of the century and they face the wrong way -- it was a symbol of good harvest or something similar in the local culture. I'm pretty sure they're still there.

~ Huntsman
I remember hearing that the swastika is actually a very old symbol meaning "unity" or "eternal." It was appropriated by the Nazis for this reason. I think I remember the article also saying its popular throughout Asian and African cultures.

A.
post #59 of 487
The swastika has been used for religious purposes for thousands of years in a variety of originally Indian religions - Jainism, Buddhism, Hinduism. It had been used in many cultures around the world before the Nazis pretty much ruined it for everyone. Apparently they associated it with the early Aryans. There's a lot of interesting material regarding this icon.
post #60 of 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by faustian bargain
here's a nice one:
I vastly prefer the current version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron
I remember hearing that the swastika is actually a very old symbol meaning "unity" or "eternal." It was appropriated by the Nazis for this reason. I think I remember the article also saying its popular throughout Asian and African cultures.
Whoopee is correct. Its background is myriad and complex. The Nazi usage is relatively minor, in chronological terms. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › best/worst corporate logos