or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tequila - Page 7

post #91 of 104
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

You still get some balance from the lime juice and Cointreau while making the cocktail more of a way to showcase good tequila. I've always felt that the trick to a good cocktail is quality booze and not a lot of other stuff to drown it out. Same reason I'll use a 4:1 gin:lime ratio with gimlets.

Drinking tequila straight works too, though scotch or armagnac tends to be my spirit of choice 80% I'm drinking straight alcohol.

If I want to showcase good tequila I would indeed serve it neat. If it's tequila good enough I want to "showcase" it I should not need to add mixers to it for balance.

Just my opinion; drink whatever you like, however you like but I think there is a cut point where quality tequila (or any aged spirit for that matter) is best served without mixers.

Gin is not (99% of the time) an aged spirit so does not fall into this conversation on an equal basis.
post #92 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

If I want to showcase good tequila I would indeed serve it neat. If it's tequila good enough I want to "showcase" it I should not need to add mixers to it for balance.

Just my opinion; drink whatever you like, however you like but I think there is a cut point where quality tequila (or any aged spirit for that matter) is best served without mixers.

Gin is not (99% of the time) an aged spirit so does not fall into this conversation on an equal basis.

Fair enough. Different strokes and all that. It may also depend on what one means by "good tequila." Patron / Don Julio Silver are young and can be had for $35 a bottle and I have no qualms using mixers with it. Resposado and Anejo tequilas I don't tend to mix with anything.
post #93 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

Fair enough. Different strokes and all that. It may also depend on what one means by "good tequila." Patron / Don Julio Silver are young and can be had for $35 a bottle and I have no qualms using mixers with it. Resposado and Anejo tequilas I don't tend to mix with anything.
You can get reposado/anejo tequilas for less than 35$ a bottle too, so I don't quite get that criteria. As a matter of fact, the Clyde Common eggog is fantastic with anejo (or reposado) tequila and wouldn't work with blanco tequila.
post #94 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

You can get reposado/anejo tequilas for less than 35$ a bottle too, so I don't quite get that criteria. As a matter of fact, the Clyde Common eggog is fantastic with anejo (or reposado) tequila and wouldn't work with blanco tequila.

Holy shit. That Clyde Common eggnog sounds awesome.

As far as the $35 criteria, I admit my knowledge of tequila is a lot more inadequate than my knowledge of most other alcohols. I don't doubt that there are some better deals on tequila than I've gotten, but I've spent a lot more time learning about the things I drink more often. It's not an exact science but my point was more that if something is cheap enough, I really don't care about mixing it. Most of the anejo / reposado tequilas I've tried / purchased have been more expensive and I also am more likely to prefer to drink them straight.
post #95 of 104
Ok, this is silly.
post #96 of 104

Mezcal ok in this thread? I have not yet gotten into Tequila, but Mezcal has been my most recent fling. It may be cliche, but I have been freaking loving Del Maguey. I have Vida for mixing and drink Chichicapa.

 

I've made mezcal gimlets, Pegu Clubs, Old Fashioneds, etc. I really love the smokiness. But my favorite mezcal drink thus far is my riff on Washington, D.C.'s Gibson bar's cocktail called Midnight at La Esquina:

 

1.5 oz Del Maguey Vida

1 oz Cocchi Americano

0.5 oz Campari.

 

Stir and garnish with orange peel.

 

Really excellent!

 

~ H

post #97 of 104
See, here's the thing. I like my share of Mezcal. But we should really try to keep this thread dedicated to Tequila and its actual definition.
post #98 of 104
I really enjoy Clase Azul Reposado, Partida Anejo and Herradura Port Cask. For a margarita or tequila for a mixer, I use El Jimador Blanco.

Has anyone tried 1921 Crema Tequila? My wife and I visit Playa del Carmin several times a year and when we were there in June, we picked up a bottle of Crema Tequila. It is very similar to Bailey's but with a tequila taste, we use it in coffee and its very good.
post #99 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

Mezcal ok in this thread? I have not yet gotten into Tequila, but Mezcal has been my most recent fling. It may be cliche, but I have been freaking loving Del Maguey.

I have only had sips of Mezcal. Can't say I liked it a lot. But a friend gave me a bottle of this for a present so I plan to open it and enjoy it this afternoon. Then top it off with a nice Cuban cigar.

From what I've read there is an interesting story behind Del Maguey and the single village mezcals. The one I have is Minero.

The proverb on the bottle reads:

For everything bad mezcal
And, to celebrate all good as well


Here is some of the detail on this bottle and brand.

http://mezcal.com/santa-catarina-minas/


post #100 of 104
Just tried the Del Maguey Mezcal. Very smooth and complex smokey flavor. I like it a lot.
post #101 of 104
I've gotten more into tequila recently. Fortaleza and Tapatio are making some very good stuff right now.
post #102 of 104
Drinking tequila almost exclusively lately. I have always been a beer and wine guy, but my body just wasn't reacting well from a weight gain and hangover standpoint.

Currently, my go to drink is club soda or a seltzer with a reposado or anejo and half a lime. I enjoy the aged tequilas in a plain mix like this because a lot of the flavor still shines through.

At the moment, I have Don Julio 1942 and Anejo at the house. The '42 is great for sipping. Had the 70 year anniversary recently and I could have that as my dessert on a regular basis - just need to get my hands on a bottle.

Others I have tried recently and enjoy are Don Eduardo Anejo & Tequila Ocho Anejo.

Look forward to learning and sharing
post #103 of 104
Cross post with the WAYDN thread.

So I stole another of Huntsman's recipes. Again.

Midnight in La Esquina as per the recipe a couple posts above.

Smoky (unsurprisingly), complex, and more and more enjoyable as I drank it. I will definitely go back to it again. It had a beautiful rosy colour.

post #104 of 104
Bump for a good thread. Scotch and Bourbon seem pretty active so why not this one too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home