• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lawyers: Could you kill someone who breaks into your house?

LuxeStyles

Reaction score
If there is a criminal that broke into your home, are you legally allowed to kill them? Would you be charged with murder? What happens if the burglar is unarmed, but you assumed they had a weapon?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not a lawyer, but even I know this varies vastly by state.

So I suppose the answer is "you could, but you better know the laws in your state before you do."

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Here is my impression, but as crim goes my knowledge doesn't extend far past search and seizure. So grain of salt.

To put it simply, if you intentionally kill someone, that is murder. The next question becomes, do you have any statutory or common law defenses. "He broke into my house" is not a common law defense. It may be a statutory defense in your state, I have no idea what cockamamy laws you guys see fit to pass. Aside from that, you'd need to make another defense fit the bill, which will depend on the circumstances of the shooting aside from his having broken into your house.

LuxeStyles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Here is my impression, but as crim goes my knowledge doesn't extend far past search and seizure. So grain of salt.

To put it simply, if you intentionally kill someone, that is murder. The next question becomes, do you have any statutory or common law defenses. "He broke into my house" is not a common law defense. It may be a statutory defense in your state, I have no idea what cockamamy laws you guys see fit to pass. Aside from that, you'd need to make another defense fit the bill, which will depend on the circumstances of the shooting aside from his having broken into your house.

Would your case be stronger if you used a knife?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
just leave the kitchen knife on his hand and call it a day

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best way to know is just to try it and find out.

Hollowthorn

Reaction score
You wanna try it at my house? Im real close to palo alto.
wink.gif

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
If you have a crappy roomate you want offed, this would be a perfect way out. Kill the robber, then use his hands to touch a knife and kill your roomate. Tell your lawyer you were in fear for your life after he killed your roomate. You're off scot-free with a 2-4-1!!!!!

LuxeStyles

Reaction score
Would lying even be necessary if I find someone from NY Biglaw?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
It varies wildly state by state. In the South and Mountain West, many states have the castle doctrine.

In the milder states, once the guy is leaving the house or non-threatening, you can't shoot. If you feel your life is in danger (and be sure to repeatedly state how scared you were in talks with the cops) you can shoot/stab but once the person is no longer a threat, you must stop.

Rare exceptions have been made for the elderly and disabled who successfully argued that they were afraid if they stopped the person would revive and the victim would lack the strength to defend themselves again.

I'm pretty conservative on this issue, but it's kind of common sense - if the bad guy is no longer a threat, stop attacking, no matter how pissed off you are.

Mr. Macaque

Reaction score
it depends. if you kill someone who was in the process of burgularizing your house and robbing you, you may still find yourself on trial for murder. however, depending on the factual circumstances, you may raise a self-defense defense. you'll have to prove that you reasonably believed that you were in danger of imminent bodily harm, and that deadly force was reasonably necessary to prevent that harm, though.

this is not legal advice.

LuxeStyles

Reaction score
Someone breaking into your home who is very likely armed with a weapon of some sort isn't enough to constitute severe alarm?

Mr. Macaque

Reaction score
let's put it this way: if you find someone in your home stealing your ps3, and you shoot him dead only to find that he was totally unarmed, then you'll be ************.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads