• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Being "Called Out" on Sprezzatura

JT82

Reaction score
Having studied in Italy, and having lived in the medieval town which serves as the setting for Castiglione's The Book of the Courtier (from which the term Sprezzatura originates), I'd like to think I have somewhat of a literary understanding of the term. In practice, who knows. For those of you who do employ this "nonchalance" either intentionally or otherwise (i.e., unbuttoned cuffs or collars, unbuckled monk straps), have you ever been called out on it by a friend or stranger? Has anyone ever approached and told you that your cuff/collar button was undone, thinking they were doing you a favor (or for some other reason)? I'm curious to hear if this has ever happened and, if so, how you responded. I suppose when dealing with a stranger it's easier to remove yourself from the situation, but with friends who might not understand yet press the issue, what do you do? Do you respond with the same nonchalance?

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is a good question. I assume the gentlemanly thing to do would be to thank them for pointing out the condition and either saying 'oh well' or fixing it. To explain yourself would be pretty embarassing.

My own bit of sprezzatura is to leave my fly undone. It hasn't generated a lot of positive buzz, yet.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My spezzatura consists in wearing dress shirts without a tie...It is too light to qualify in the first place...

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I politely, but firmly inform them that they just lost 5 AndyPoints.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Good question, I like. I think if someome's called you out on it, then it's not true Sprezzatura because you're not really pulling it off!
I know that I showed a friend of mine a pic of yfyf, who leaves one button undone to show it's functional and my friend said, oh look he's missing a button... so I had to explain it's really more of a big FU to OTR people and faux Sprezzatura...
so yeah, this happens. I'm sure every time I see a guy with his tie half undone he was thinking it was non-challant, I was thinking it looked sloppy.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are talking about calculated nonchalance? LOL I think if it truly is sprezzatura, such observations would be unimportant and meaningless to the wearer.

IMO, if anyone is discussing whether or not these little details in their dress are sprezzatura, the automatic assumption is that they are not sprezzatura.
smile.gif

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just thank them for noticing, i.e.:

"Hey, your fly is undone/nose is missing/stink could kill an ox/Agnelli mask is soiled!"

(politely) "Yes, I know."

And then breeze on about your day.

They are not Initiates, and will never understand.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Sprezzatura, as far as I see it, has nothing to do with having this undone or that unbuttoned.

Agreed. What the op describes are affects, not Sprezzatura.

AgentQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Agreed. What the op describes are affects, not Sprezzatura.

Perhaps he listed those as potential symptoms of sprezzatura.

JT82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Sprezzatura, as far as I see it, has nothing to do with having this undone or that unbuttoned.
Defining Sprezzatura as any one "thing" or "element" is most certainly non-Sprezzatura-ish. While your comment is true in the larger sense, sprezzatura certainly does not preclude "having this undone or that unbuttoned" as being an aspect of a general display of effortlessness. The question at hand, regardless of how you choose to qualify the term or express it yourself, is what do you do when someone brings it to your attention and how (if at all) do you respond?

AgentQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JT82
Defining Sprezzatura as any one "thing" or "element" is most certainly non-Sprezzatura-ish.

While your comment is true in the larger sense, sprezzatura certainly does not preclude "having this undone or that unbuttoned" as being an aspect of a general display of effortlessness.

The question at hand, regardless of how you choose to qualify the term or express it yourself, is what do you do when someone brings it to your attention and how (if at all) do you respond?

Well, if your sprezzatura truly extends beyond your manner of dress, that same nonchalance would lead you to respond with a mildly-surprised "Oh."

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AgentQ
Perhaps he listed those as potential symptoms of sprezzatura.

Possible, but it is more than that. Being called out on your styling quirks is more accurate.

Called out on Sprezzatura is like being called out for being elegant or having class. It is somewhat an intangible quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads