or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green shoes/ boots news
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Edward Green shoes/ boots news - Page 2

post #16 of 36
how do these run? those are cool looking chelsea boots
post #17 of 36
Those are the Newmarket referred to in the original post. ~$799 from plal.
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGladwell
You know, I don't get the fetish with EG shoes. I was looking at some of the RLPL-badged ones (I assume all of them with the blacked out midsole are EG's) at the weekend and for the life of me I didn't see any reason to pay the premium these shoes command over Ferragamo Tramezzas, to say nothing of Ludwig Reiters that are readily available in Europe for under $500 at current exchange rates. (In NYC, they are rather more expensive.)

I own 4 pairs of Tramezzas, they are some of my favorite shoes, and some of Vass's lasts with the high toebox intrigue me, but I think you can't beat the antiquing on EG shoes or their special order program.

I only wish I could find someplace to try on EG shoes in various lasts, since I've been lusting after the EG Ashby, in particular, for almost a year. So far, I've only been able to determine that whatever last is used for the RL Mackays (the 888?) is a little too snug for me in a US 12D. I suppose the 202 might work, since Lobb's 8896 last in UK size 11E is a nearly perfect fit. In August, I'll be in San Francisco, so maybe I'll visit Wilks Bashford (if I get ambitious, I'll drive up before August).
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman
I own 4 pairs of Tramezzas, they are some of my favorite shoes, and some of Vass's lasts with the high toebox intrigue me, but I think you can't beat the antiquing on EG shoes or their special order program.

I only wish I could find someplace to try on EG shoes in various lasts, since I've been lusting after the EG Ashby, in particular, for almost a year. So far, I've only been able to determine that whatever last is used for the RL Mackays (the 888?) is a little too snug for me in a US 12D. I suppose the 202 might work, since Lobb's 8896 last in UK size 11E is a nearly perfect fit. In August, I'll be in San Francisco, so maybe I'll visit Wilks Bashford (if I get ambitious, I'll drive up before August).


thinman...Might I suggest the 606 last. I have the Yardley (quite similar to the Ashby) on that last and I find it to be ideal.
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by aportnoy
thinman...Might I suggest the 606 last. I have the Yardley (quite similar to the Ashby) on that last and I find it to be ideal.

Thanks Andrew.
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman
I own 4 pairs of Tramezzas, they are some of my favorite shoes, and some of Vass's lasts with the high toebox intrigue me, but I think you can't beat the antiquing on EG shoes or their special order program.

I only wish I could find someplace to try on EG shoes in various lasts, since I've been lusting after the EG Ashby, in particular, for almost a year. So far, I've only been able to determine that whatever last is used for the RL Mackays (the 888?) is a little too snug for me in a US 12D. I suppose the 202 might work, since Lobb's 8896 last in UK size 11E is a nearly perfect fit. In August, I'll be in San Francisco, so maybe I'll visit Wilks Bashford (if I get ambitious, I'll drive up before August).

Thinman - Wilkes has not carried Greens for quite some time. I got a funny look when I brought up Greens. They have Lobbs, Gravati, Barrett, Stefanobi and that is about it, IIRC. This is all as of last fall, but I don't think that they've added Green back to the mix.

That said, I do recall at least one EG vendor in Northern California, but can't remember who it was...
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman
I own 4 pairs of Tramezzas, they are some of my favorite shoes, and some of Vass's lasts with the high toebox intrigue me, but I think you can't beat the antiquing on EG shoes or their special order program.

I only wish I could find someplace to try on EG shoes in various lasts, since I've been lusting after the EG Ashby, in particular, for almost a year. So far, I've only been able to determine that whatever last is used for the RL Mackays (the 888?) is a little too snug for me in a US 12D. I suppose the 202 might work, since Lobb's 8896 last in UK size 11E is a nearly perfect fit. In August, I'll be in San Francisco, so maybe I'll visit Wilks Bashford (if I get ambitious, I'll drive up before August).

Wilkes only carries JL of the brands you mention. Shoot me a PM when you come up, and I will be happy to either show you around or give you some suggestions.
post #23 of 36
Malouf's in Burlingame.
post #24 of 36
Thread Starter 
damn! plal doesn't take AMEX....and i don't use visa/ mastercard anymore! guess i can't order a pair of those boots!
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
damn! plal doesn't take AMEX....and i don't use visa/ mastercard anymore! guess i can't order a pair of those boots!

Shyam accepts paypal
post #26 of 36
Here's Shyam's email in response to me:

Yes, the surcharge is waived for 3 pairs or more but only if all the 3 pairs
are say Dover in colour olive. The only variation allowed is size and (I
think) width. I'm sure you can order anything listed in the catalogue,
www.plal.com/eg.htm
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt
Wilkes only carries JL of the brands you mention. Shoot me a PM when you come up, and I will be happy to either show you around or give you some suggestions.

Thanks for the information and for the offer of help. And thanks, whoopee, for reminding me about Malouf's. As I recall, no one in _Southern_ CA carries EG, correct? It would be nice to find EG's closer to home.
post #28 of 36
What last are the Newmarket boots on? How is the chisel shape compared to the C&J Paris Cowdray, which has a narrow toe and a patination service to boot?
post #29 of 36
That Newmarket is on the 888. The 337 of the Cowdray is more elongated and a bit narrower and rounder at the toe. As the two are some of the most often discussed lasts on this forum, I'm sure you could find some pictures.
post #30 of 36
I have a pair of Grenson Masterpiece chelseas rebadged for Cordonnerrie Anglaise that look exactly like those Newmarkets. They are probably my favorite pair of shoes. The shape of that last is excellent.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green shoes/ boots news