or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A-shirt vs 'wife-beater'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A-shirt vs 'wife-beater' - Page 2

post #16 of 30
If she's your GF and not your wife, what does she have to worry about?
post #17 of 30
I'm not looking to start a dialogue about volatile issues of race and gender, but let me just point out to you that your GF's perspectives are rather insulting as her stereotypical characterizations of a freakin' undershirt reflects and reinforces negative perspectives on non-white, "lower-classed" people. Don't get me wrong, the use of the term "wife-beater" has it's comical value and is a common reference if intended more in a joking, non derogatory way. Your GF's thoughts on the issue, however, scream derogatory.

In any event, I think you're right. It's an undershirt and it has nothing to do with reflecting that the person wearing it is of lower class, or "ghetto" - especially when you wear it where it's suppose to be worn in public - under your dress shirt. Be ready for stares and comments from people who share the same views as your GF if you care to don your A-shirt at the mall. They may think you are either "white trash" or from the ghetto.
post #18 of 30
nevermind, posted before reading
post #19 of 30
My only issue with these shirts is that when you do wear them under a dress shirt, if the sun or a strong light hits you, it looks like you are wearing a bra. Also, due to my own prejudices, I do think it cheapens a dressed up look. Then there is the deodorant/anti-persiperant hitting your shirt directly. That will make short work of your dress shirts underarms. At the end of the day, I hate them because of the trashy perception of the wearer that I will have. We can get into a whole argument of my stereotypes and prejudices and yada yada but if you like them, wear them. You should not care what others think. I do believe they are less beneficial to your dress shirts and people can tell if you are wearing them. They make an outline on your shirt when you move or again, in certain light.

I love good looking girls who show thong above their lowriders. To many, that is trashy. What are you gonna do.
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger02
Alex, I liked your previous models better.
Sorry, Tiger. Here's a husband beater. Enjoy your day.


Zimmerli Textil, AG Photo
post #21 of 30
Am I the only guy on this forum who does not wear an undershirt?
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I'm not looking to start a dialogue about volatile issues of race and gender, but let me just point out to you that your GF's perspectives are rather insulting as her stereotypical characterizations of a freakin' undershirt reflects and reinforces negative perspectives on non-white, "lower-classed" people. Don't get me wrong, the use of the term "wife-beater" has it's comical value and is a common reference if intended more in a joking, non derogatory way. Your GF's thoughts on the issue, however, scream derogatory.

In any event, I think you're right. It's an undershirt and it has nothing to do with reflecting that the person wearing it is of lower class, or "ghetto" - especially when you wear it where it's suppose to be worn in public - under your dress shirt. Be ready for stares and comments from people who share the same views as your GF if you care to don your A-shirt at the mall. They may think you are either "white trash" or from the ghetto.

I agree with "lower-class" but not "non-white". A-shirts are commonly found on the less privileged in many nations outside of America - where I suspect a larger percentage of the white underclass are want to expose their undershirts than their black or Latino or Asian counterparts.
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt
Am I the only guy on this forum who does not wear an undershirt?
NO! You're not.
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted
Manhood aside (I've never questioned it myself) I'm more interested in if these shirts are viewed as lower class by most folks or not. I guess until the GF brought up the subject I never really gave it much thought. I wear them because I find them comfortable and am not worried about the sweat protection of T-shirts. I'm not tossing them. I'm not tossing the GF either, she basically teases me about them but I think there is something classist in her teasing. (since that's the worst thing I can say she does - I not real worried - we all have flaws anyway).

Why would you care so much about which class of society you look like you belong to? Does it matter in your circle? Sounds juvenile to me. Wear them if they're comfortable.
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt
Am I the only guy on this forum who does not wear an undershirt?

I have a very ass-backwards view on undershirts. I tend to wear a plain white T-shirt under all other T-shirts or casual shirts; however, when I dress up I never wear one.

My view on wife-beaters is the same as a poster above, I don't like the outline it leaves when worn under a dress shirt. If I had to wear one, a T-shirt would work much better as you are only left with lines on the arms, which is not a very big deal at all.
post #26 of 30
Quote:
NO! You're not.

Definitely not.

If you get stains, use deodorants without aluminum.

Alex, is Wolverine wearing Zimmerli?
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Definitely not.

If you get stains, use deodorants without aluminum.

Alex, is Wolverine wearing Zimmerli?
Yes. And so is Ray:


Zimmerli Textil, AG. Photo
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel
My only issue with these shirts is that when you do wear them under a dress shirt, if the sun or a strong light hits you, it looks like you are wearing a bra.

Ahem...and just what is wrong with that?
post #29 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by berlin report
Why would you care so much about which class of society you look like you belong to? Does it matter in your circle? Sounds juvenile to me. Wear them if they're comfortable.


Geeze, all I did was ask a question.
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted
Geeze, all I did was ask a question.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you. I just thought you might be giving it more thought than it deserves.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A-shirt vs 'wife-beater'