ok the LL bean work boot arrived today.
here's the initial impressions:
- very soft leather, little breaking in needed
- very sleek compared to red wing original irish setters
- 8 inches high
- very very low profile treads on sole not boot like at all in feeling more like broken in boat shoes.
- low profile sole- boat shoe like which i like
- leather tounge is free and doesn't have insulation against water/snow above 4 inches
- sole looks like tread will wear quickly
- not as beefy compared to redwings
as to fit: i ordered a 9.5 D (it only comes in medium width) which fit well with wool hiking socks.
i am a 10 Nike/adidas running shoes
9 RW boots
9.5 jack purcells
i took a ton of pics and some comparisons with the red wing rugged classic. honestly i these will be Not be enough for heavy rain and slushy conditions. i'll still need a gortex insulated waterproof boot for those days.
but they are very very comfortable to walk in, almost broken in boat shoe like right off the bat.