• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stop wearing dress shoes (oxfords, brogues, monks) without socks!!!!

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm doing everyone a big favor, no need to thank me. There is a disturbing trend in WAYWN and in the Sartorialist of men with dress shoes and no socks. Very few shoes look good without socks. Loafers, boat shoes, bucks. Dress shoes are not made to be worn without socks and you do not look good. Because some Japanese dude is copying some idiot in Italy who thinks he is styling wearing a three piece suit, brogues and no socks, does not mean that you have to do it. Sweat in said leather lined shoes is also not a good thing. Please stop wearing sportcoats, suits, the whole nine yards and then go sockless. I repeat, you do not look good. If it's leather and a leather sole, has a heel and you have to lace it, wear some phucking socks.

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
I wouldn't think it comfortable to wear dress shoes without socks all day.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I'm doing everyone a big favor, no need to thank me. There is a disturbing trend in WAYWN and in the Sartorialist of men with dress shoes and no socks. Very few shoes look good without socks. Loafers, boat shoes, bucks. Dress shoes are not made to be worn without socks and you do not look good. Because some Japanese dude is copying some idiot in Italy who thinks he is styling wearing a three piece suit, brogues and no socks, does not mean that you have to do it. Sweat in said leather lined shoes is also not a good thing. Please stop wearing sportcoats, suits, the whole nine yards and then go sockless. I repeat, you do not look good. If it's leather and a leather sole, has a heel and you have to lace it, wear some phucking socks.

Don't most people use those no-show "loafer socks"? Still, good point.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno, this guy told me it was OK. The homeless guy under the bridge makes a pretty convincing argument as well.

Thom%20Browne.jpg

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...Very few shoes look good without socks. Loafers, boat shoes, bucks...

Whew! Dodged a bullet on that one.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does it count if you remove the laces from your oxfords and then go sockless?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Does it count if you remove the laces from your oxfords and then go sockless?

I saw this uber-cool tool on the subway the other day. Thom Browne head to toe, full suit/shirt/tie/shoes (bf/tricker gunboats). The shoes were unlaced and he was sockless, very non-chalant/sprezzatura
rolleyes.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw this uber-cool tool on the subway the other day. Thom Browne head to toe, full suit/shirt/tie/shoes (bf/tricker gunboats). The shoes were unlaced and he was sockless, very non-chalant/sprezzatura
rolleyes.gif

SoCal rides the subway? How plebeian.

Medtech71

Reaction score
I always wear socks...pants, however, are optional...

Luddite

Reaction score
I think a lot of the sockless Sartorialist and WAYRN examples look sharp.

Relax. I don't think "you look bad" will persuade people to don socks; they clearly think they look good, so...

bafield

Reaction score
I've never understood this myself. What is the point? It looks like hell and it has to be uncomfortable once the leather gets a little damp. I can only imagine the smell after a few days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads