or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Can a *contrast* shirt be worn casually (no tie)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can a *contrast* shirt be worn casually (no tie)?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I like the look of them and was thinking mainly the blue shirt/white collar... but is it too formal a shirt?
post #2 of 19
Best paired with a tie in my opinion. You can always dress it down with a casual tie.
post #3 of 19
I say yes, but I think I'm a minority in this forum. Most here will say nay.
post #4 of 19
What do you mean by french collar?
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackyBoy View Post
I like the look of them and was thinking mainly the blue shirt/white collar... but is it too formal a shirt?
I'm assuming you meant French Cuffs here. The more "trendy" looking FCs I wear with just slacks, and sometimes slacks and a jacket. This doesn't necessarily look bad. The lighter solids (e.g. white, light blue etc) I wear with a jacket and a tie. If you're talking about contrast collars, I'm not really a fan. Own one, but I hardly ever wear it.
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_flapjack View Post
What do you mean by french collar?

+1
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_flapjack View Post
What do you mean by french collar?

I assumed that he meant french cuff.
post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_flapjack View Post
What do you mean by french collar?
I generally just mean white collar blue shirt... googled it and said it was called a french collar. But this is what I meant:
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackyBoy View Post
I generally just mean white collar blue shirt... googled it and said it was called a french collar.

But this is what I meant:

In that case, No!
post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bafield View Post
In that case, No!
Thought not. Thanks
post #11 of 19
post #12 of 19
I would normally say "guido," but the tailor I went to today was wearing a contract club collar with no tie... so who knows. I think it looks try-hard though. Few people wear contrast collars in my area at all, so when I see a kid wearing one without a tie, to me it just screams "I'm trying to be different but I still have no idea how to dress myself." Somewhat akin to wearing an odd pinstriped suit jacket with jeans. Which I also see far too often.
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by unjung View Post
Somewhat akin to wearing an odd pinstriped suit jacket with jeans. Which I also see far too often.

I'm guilty of this on occasion. The unfortunate problem is that some of my cheap suits from my sartorially uninformed days had the pants wear out much more quickly than the jackets. While wearing a solid jacket with regular pants don't necessarily look bad, pinstripes do.

So, I tend to pair my pinstriped jackets with cords (not a fan of jeans) or other casual slacks -- and it's usually a look I get compliments on.

Then again, that may not mean much, either...
post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_flapjack View Post
I changed my title
Quote:
Originally Posted by unjung View Post
I would normally say "guido," but the tailor I went to today was wearing a contract club collar with no tie... so who knows. I think it looks try-hard though. Few people wear contrast collars in my area at all, so when I see a kid wearing one without a tie, to me it just screams "I'm trying to be different but I still have no idea how to dress myself." Somewhat akin to wearing an odd pinstriped suit jacket with jeans. Which I also see far too often.
That's what I figured... I'll stick to keeping them under a suit jacket and tie on occasion.
post #15 of 19
Is that what you are talking about? It could work.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Can a *contrast* shirt be worn casually (no tie)?