or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › what happens if you don't pay a ticket in california?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

what happens if you don't pay a ticket in california?

post #1 of 48
Thread Starter 
ok so i got a ticket for jaywalking last night. it says i need to go down to the court house which is ages out of my way. i'm only going to be in the country for 6 weeks or so, what happens if i just leave it? i do need to come back to california in about 8 months
post #2 of 48
Why can't you just pay the fine by mail? or online?

In DC, I got a ticket for the same thing and after a month got a letter in the mail saying my driving priveleges in the city would be suspended if I didn't pay. So I paid the fee (which was doubled).
post #3 of 48
I am not giving you legal advice and I am not familiar with the laws of your jurisdiction, and by making this post, we are not forming an attorney-client relationship.

Generally, if you don't pay a ticket and don't show up in court, a warrant is issued for your arrest.
post #4 of 48
just pay the damn ticket.
post #5 of 48
listen up, furriner. you comes to our country, you plays by our rules. you follow me?
post #6 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
listen up, furriner.

you comes to our country, you plays by our rules. you follow me?

LOL!

But seriously, you did the crime, you do the time. Just pay it.
post #7 of 48
Listen to the law.
boom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by the law View Post
LOL!
.
post #8 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by the law View Post
LOL!

But seriously, you did the crime, you do the time. Just pay it.


He was JAYWALKING!!!!!!!!!

WTF MAN!?!?!?! HOW THE HELL DID THAT HAPPEN!?!?!? I thought that was a joke, lol
post #9 of 48
ticket's got to be like at most 20 bux. i dont know, i never got caught jaywalking. man, i got caught running a red and had to pay a 400 bux ticket. i just owned up and paid the damned thing.
do the same.
post #10 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jase12 View Post
ok so i got a ticket for jaywalking last night. it says i need to go down to the court house which is ages out of my way. i'm only going to be in the country for 6 weeks or so, what happens if i just leave it? i do need to come back to california in about 8 months

Wait, are you a resident/citizen of US or California?

Why don't you protest the ticket via mail. It will prolong the process (and you might be off the hook) without incurring additional charges.
post #11 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater View Post
I am not giving you legal advice and I am not familiar with the laws of your jurisdiction, and by making this post, we are not forming an attorney-client relationship. Generally, if you don't pay a ticket and don't show up in court, a warrant is issued for your arrest.
A lot of jurisdictions just suspend your right to operate. A lot of times it just says on the ticket. Whoops- didn't see the jaywalking thing. Don't get arrested Moran. Pay the ticket-- beg, steal, or borrow.
post #12 of 48
Unless the OP has or will need to register a car, pay taxes, etc. in CA (before the slate is wiped - whatever that's called, and I don't know how long it would take in that state), I would ignore the ticket. Similarly to how if I were to receive a ticket for speeding in TN tomorrow, in my own car, not registered in that state, and not intending to go back, I would not pay. Unless TN is a bond state. In which case I would be forced to.
post #13 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGuy View Post
A lot of jurisdictions just suspend your right to operate. A lot of times it just says on the ticket.

No one will suspend your right to walk if you fail to pay a jaywalking ticket. And you typically don't need a license to walk.
post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminc View Post
No one will suspend your right to walk if you fail to pay a jaywalking ticket. And you typically don't need a license to walk.

Not to nitpick, but if they throw you in jail, they are basically suspending your right to walk the streets.
post #15 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater View Post
I am not giving you legal advice and I am not familiar with the laws of your jurisdiction, and by making this post, we are not forming an attorney-client relationship.

Same admonition.

But I will point out that in CA, the court does not just issue bench warrants, but also levies civil penalties that attach to failures to appear. This can add hundreds of dollars to the base fine for the jaywalking infraction.

There is also a possibility that if the clerk issues a summons for failure to appear, and you fail to appear for that second hearing, you will owe additional penalties for failure to appear on the failure to appear. With the State of CA being nearly bankrupt, I suspect they will use the civil penalty provisions as aggressively as possible, and argue that there is no double jeopardy problem if they keep tacking them on as many times as you fail to appear.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › what happens if you don't pay a ticket in california?