or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Asthma and cigarette smoke?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Asthma and cigarette smoke?

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Hey.

Anybody know anybody who has asthma attacks apparently triggered by exposure to secondhand cigarette smoke?
post #2 of 24
Yes. It is also a risk factor for children to develop asthma when they are exposed to second hand smoke.
post #3 of 24
I've had a pretty big problem with this. Most of my friends are artsy motherfuckers who chainsmoke. I hate to admit it but smoking bans in dc and baltimore clubs have been really great for me.
post #4 of 24
Ive had asthma pretty bad my entire life but cigarette smoke never really effected me. My grandpa smoked packs a day around me when I stayed at his house and it never made me sick. Shoot I go to the hookah bar and do tha hookah and nothing happens.
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerman View Post
Ive had asthma pretty bad my entire life but cigarette smoke never really effected me. My grandpa smoked packs a day around me when I stayed at his house and it never made me sick. Shoot I go to the hookah bar and do tha hookah and nothing happens.

I've never had a straightup attack jsut from smoke but i end up feeling pretty shitty. On the few dumbass occasions where I've smoked hookah I feel really shitty the next day.
post #6 of 24
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all of the replies so far.

I posted this thread because I mentioned this problem -- asthma attacks triggered by exposure to cigarette smoke -- at a barbecue I attended yesterday. I didn't make a big deal about it, I only mentioned that I know three people who claim that secondhand smoke has caused them to have severe asthmatic reactions. Two of the guests who listened to my story are emergency medical technicians, and they pretty much scoffed at the whole idea. They both looked at me as though I were an idiot or a liar or a bullshitter. I can't understand their harsh response, because a quick Google search shows that secondhand smoke can and does trigger these kind of asthma problems.

Thanks again -- I'm looking forward to reading anyone else's input.
post #7 of 24
it has happened to me more often over the past few yeas. I didn't develop asthma but a few years back as well, but being around people smoking does tend to make me hate life. This problem is easily remedied by simply leaving the area, but i always try and tough it out for as long as I can only to completely regret the decision. I have actually began to not try and tough out the occasions for the past few months, and have been very pleased.

"boot to the cools!"
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito View Post
Two of the guests who listened to my story are emergency medical technicians, and they pretty much scoffed at the whole idea. They both looked at me as though I were an idiot or a liar or a bullshitter.

Tell them they fail at their job.

Any medical textbook or reputable website e.g. Mayo Clinic, WebMD, etc. will explain that they're wrong.
post #9 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbie View Post
Tell them they fail at their job.

Any medical textbook or reputable website e.g. Mayo Clinic, WebMD, etc. will explain that they're wrong.
They both admitted that cigarette smoking can be "annoying" to some people, but they said they've never witnessed any kind of serious asthma problem created by secondhand smoke. I can't understand why they were so skeptical about it.
post #10 of 24
Well there are two potential explanations as I see it. 1. They've never experienced this in their job/life thus far and are therefore skeptical about the TONS of information out there on this topic being true i.e. they may somehow think it's a rare complication/association. 2. They're idiots.
post #11 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbie View Post
Well there are two potential explanations as I see it.

1. They've never experienced this in their job/life thus far and are therefore skeptical about the TONS of information out there on this topic being true i.e. they may somehow think it's a rare complication/association.

2. They're idiots.
I think you're correct, on both counts.
post #12 of 24
I have asthma. I smoke. FML.
post #13 of 24
I have allergic asthma, and have problems with smoke. It's never triggered a severe 'attack', but has certainly brought on asthmatic symptoms. My reaction to smoke has got worse I've got older, or at least I'm far less tolerant towards it. I hope the guys you were talking to knew how to treat asthma even if they had no clue what can trigger it.
post #14 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangfastic View Post
I have allergic asthma, and have problems with smoke. It's never triggered a severe 'attack', but has certainly brought on asthmatic symptoms. My reaction to smoke has got worse I've got older, or at least I'm far less tolerant towards it.
Part of my reason for starting this thread is because my own reaction to secondhand cig smoke has got worse as I've got older -- sneezing, coughing, watery eyes, and occasional nosebleeds -- and I'm afraid that it will soon develop into serious asthma/respiratory problems. I hope not.
post #15 of 24
I'm not sure if its just you become more careful in general as you get older, I used to work in a really smokey bar and just took extra medication if my asthma got bad - not my attitude now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Asthma and cigarette smoke?