or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › RLPL Alligator belt
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RLPL Alligator belt

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 


Having never owned an alligator/croc belt before, how does this one look (in terms of quality/style)? It's $305, but with the 30% off, sounds like a good deal. For whatever reason, they won't ship to California - anyone know why?
post #2 of 15
Could be some law in CA about certain skins? Not sure. It seems to me like a fair price. Not sure I like the end, though.
post #3 of 15
The price is OK but I've never seen a belt with this kind of end
post #4 of 15
Isn't that just because it doesn't have a buckle? Looks great to me.
post #5 of 15
I have this in both black and dark brown. They are nice but a bit too thin, at only 1". I think 1.25" would be ideal. The buckle comes separately and is priced at $125. An OK value with the 30% off, but not great (mostly because of the thinness issue).
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkoak
I have this in both black and dark brown. They are nice but a bit too thin, at only 1". I think 1.25" would be ideal. The buckle comes separately and is priced at $125. An OK value with the 30% off, but not great (mostly because of the thinness issue).

Most dress belts are sized at 1" as are most corresponding sterling and gold buckles. 1 1/8" sized dress belts have become more common in recent years but the availability of quality buckles, in precious metals, is slim. 1 1/4" belts and wider are for casual wear.
post #7 of 15
Yes there is a law in California prohibiting the importation of the skins (and other products) of certain animals, including alligator. I believe there is currently a bill seeking to amend this law.
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkoak
I have this in both black and dark brown. They are nice but a bit too thin, at only 1". I think 1.25" would be ideal. The buckle comes separately and is priced at $125. An OK value with the 30% off, but not great (mostly because of the thinness issue).

1" is trad.
post #9 of 15
It's a fine belt, but pricey.

I bought an alligator belt from alligator leather and was very happy with what I got:

http://www.alligatorleather.com/

It's about $150 -- a great deal, I think.

- boston
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkoak
I have this in both black and dark brown. They are nice but a bit too thin, at only 1". I think 1.25" would be ideal. The buckle comes separately and is priced at $125. An OK value with the 30% off, but not great (mostly because of the thinness issue).

1 1/4" belts (and their buckles) can be had at Ben Silver.
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Most dress belts are sized at 1" as are most corresponding sterling and gold buckles. 1 1/8" sized dress belts have become more common in recent years but the availability of quality buckles, in precious metals, is slim. 1 1/4" belts and wider are for casual wear.

Though some of those 1" buckles take a more narrow belt, of say 3/4" or so.
post #12 of 15
I bought a custom alligator belt from John Woodward (http://www.woodwardboots.com/page/page/2162635.htm and he made it just the way I like it -- lots of "bones" like a fine piece of bamboo. He is an artist with excellent pricing. Cheap alligator belts are a waste of money, IMHO. Ralph Lauren PL is excellent, though.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post





Having never owned an alligator/croc belt before, how does this one look (in terms of quality/style)? It's $305, but with the 30% off, sounds like a good deal. For whatever reason, they won't ship to California - anyone know why?

Sorry to revive an old thread, but how often are there sales like this? I've had my eye on this belt.
post #14 of 15
I've never seen one that low from RLPL.
post #15 of 15
Lance at vch has some nice Isaia belts in exotic leathers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › RLPL Alligator belt