or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures - Page 56

post #826 of 4415
Hey everyone, I finally pulled the trigger on a Filson medium duffle 222 in tan. Thanks for all of the input and pictures in this thread. I shared the bag with my girlfriend this weekend when we flew to my home for the thanksgiving, and it worked very well. The bag held far more than I thought it would, without it being too heavy to comfortably carry around the airport before I checked in. I've read that it can be used as a carry-on if it isn't completely full, but I didn't want to even try since it was during thanksgiving weekend and since I purchased it as a bag to check (as well as to use on car trips). The bag held enough clothes for both my girlfriend and me. On my half of the bag I was able to easily fit 2 pairs of pants, 4 pairs of socks & boxers, 3 t-shirts, 1 l/s thermal, 1 hockey jersey (go pens!), 2 l/s button down shirts, and Clarks desert boots. My girlfriend easily fit on her side all the stuff she wanted to bring. On top of everything, we were able to fit both of our fall jackets. The bag zipped easily and wasn't difficult/awkward to carry. I'm very happy with the purchase. I hope this write-up was helpful, and feel free to message me if you have any questions.
post #827 of 4415
Any experience with the large wheeled duffel bag? I'm thinking of buying it to be stuffed up to 50 lbs. pretty much for airline checked bag, need to find lightweight ones so I can fit more stuff.
post #828 of 4415

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOP View Post

I would suggest the Sportsman's Bag. Made (presumably) to haul skeet-shooting gear it carries like a duffle but has usable exterior pockets and internal dividers/organization.


I recently purchased the Sportman's bag for travel purposes, and debuted it during Thanksgiving as I visited India for 9 days. It held a lot more stuff than I thought it would, still wasn't heavy, and worked out really well. I got it in green, which despite being my least favorite color of the three choices, looks fantastic - I got a few compliments. The construction also seems really great. At 40% off, I'm very happy with the purchase.

 

Estimated contents: pair of khakis, pair of shorts, 4-5 undershirts, 5-6 pairs of socks, 5-6 boxers, 2 short sleeve tees, 2 long sleeve tees, 2 polos, soccer shorts, dopp kit - definitely could have fit more.

 

I wasn't in need of the internal dividers so I removed them to create one giant compartment, but I could see them being handy if I needed to divide up the contents more.

 

FilsonSportsmansBag1.jpg

 

post #829 of 4415
this is a beautifully aged filson pullman:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FILSON-RUGGED-TWILL-PULLMAN-BAG-STYLE-243-/110785012265?pt=Luggage&hash=item19cb4d2229#ht_534wt_952

anyone who was on the fence about the otter green should really take a look
post #830 of 4415
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkusmant View Post

Any experience with the large wheeled duffel bag? I'm thinking of buying it to be stuffed up to 50 lbs. pretty much for airline checked bag, need to find lightweight ones so I can fit more stuff.

i didn't really like the wheeled extra large bag i had, maybe the large is better. the wheels added weight to an already heavy bag and when filled, the bag was almost always too heavy for even a checked bag (if you don't want to pay a fee). also, the thing kept falling sideways when it was being pulled, i came to the conclusion that duffles don't really work well with wheels...but again, maybe the large is better than the extra-large.
post #831 of 4415
Hey guys, I just got a Filson 256 briefcase from Hansons outfitters. There's some things that I'm not to sure about.
First, their website said it was $225, but when it arrived the price on the receipt was actually $252, and I have no idea why it was more expensive (shipping was free too). Second, I was just inspecting the bag and on the main leather strap, there appears to be a small rip and a lot of scuff marks on the underside of it. However, on the other side, everything looks pristine.
Now I'm new to Filson, but from what I've read, I don't think their bags should have this kind of issue. Is it just me or has anyone else encountered these kinds of issues as well?
post #832 of 4415
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyzealot View Post

i didn't really like the wheeled extra large bag i had, maybe the large is better. the wheels added weight to an already heavy bag and when filled, the bag was almost always too heavy for even a checked bag (if you don't want to pay a fee). also, the thing kept falling sideways when it was being pulled, i came to the conclusion that duffles don't really work well with wheels...but again, maybe the large is better than the extra-large.

Just ordered the large wheeled duffel, ebags said that it's 8lbs empty which is good for the bag of its size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyzealot View Post

this is a beautifully aged filson pullman:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FILSON-RUGGED-TWILL-PULLMAN-BAG-STYLE-243-/110785012265?pt=Luggage&hash=item19cb4d2229#ht_534wt_952
anyone who was on the fence about the otter green should really take a look
I'm looking forward to seeing age-ing of my pullman in years later, also I used it in train ride, so I need to haul the bag for quite a bit, the shoulder strap attachment actually works well because if the attachments are on the side of the bag, your pants will kept on rubbing the bags. Just a thought....
post #833 of 4415
here are pics:

img1770o.jpg

img1766r.jpg

The first picture is more of what it looks like in person. Do you guys think I should call Hansons or Filsons, or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?
Keep in mind I have never even worn this bag at all. It came out of the package like this.

Thanks!
post #834 of 4415
^That is absolutely nothing. Just use the bag.
post #835 of 4415
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannoob View Post

Hey guys, I just got a Filson 256 briefcase from Hansons outfitters. There's some things that I'm not to sure about.
First, their website said it was $225, but when it arrived the price on the receipt was actually $252, and I have no idea why it was more expensive (shipping was free too). Second, I was just inspecting the bag and on the main leather strap, there appears to be a small rip and a lot of scuff marks on the underside of it. However, on the other side, everything looks pristine.
Now I'm new to Filson, but from what I've read, I don't think their bags should have this kind of issue. Is it just me or has anyone else encountered these kinds of issues as well?

The underside of my 261 straps look like that now and probably worse after a year of wear. I don't recall what they look liked new.
post #836 of 4415
Thanks for your input guys. I tend to get OCD sometimes haha. Anyways, I talked to Hansons and they made a mistake with the price and is going to give me credit. They were also nice enough to send a strap.
Anyways after a days use, I have to say this bag is really built to last. The cotton on this bag is just as, if not, tougher than some of the raw heavyweight denim I have. Seriously, I'm pretty sure couriers in WWI could have used this.
post #837 of 4415
Hi Guys,

I recently bought a Filson 257..I love it, however since the underside of the pad on the shoulder strap is smooth leather, it keeps slipping off my shoulder. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?? How have you solved for it??

Thanks,
PK.
post #838 of 4415
I wear it across my chest or take the strap off and use the handles. It bothers me that it slips off all the time, maybe I need bigger shoulders:D
post #839 of 4415

Is there any special product registration that you need to complete for Filson's warranty? The only one I could find on their website only asked for a couple specifics about my purchase.

post #840 of 4415
Hmm, if there is one I didn't bother registering. I should get on that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures