or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures - Page 383

post #5731 of 5977
Long-time lurker here.

Some of you have talked about the quality of Filson leather on this thread. Thought I might share my recent experience.

I purchased a Small Duffle in Tan online from a retailer in London. The one I ended up with was after an exchange due to the original one being slightly damaged.

Anyway, I found that the duffle had very loose grain on the shoulder strap. You could feel that the top layer was so loose that it may 'peel' if the top layer was damaged in any way (which already was). It affected about 6 inches of the strap. Got some pictures here, showing it under flex as well:






Here is some of the tighter grain from the same shoulder strap, different section:





Their bridle leather does smell and feel plasticky compared to the leather on my full grain veg-tanned boots, but that's another issue...

I contacted Filson with the above pics. A customer service rep replied that "The loose grain is not typical of new Filson bags; the wear and tear shown is typical of bag that have been used for many years, so I can conclude that it does appear to be defective."

The London retailer gave me a refund. They claimed, however, that they have spoken to Filson at length about the leather and said that "...due to the nature of the bridle leather, slight cracking and abrasions will occur when new and over a period of use which is a natural process of all leathers." On this basis, it was not defective and I understand they put it back out on sale.

This has not put me off Filson bags completely, but I would be more critical of the leather and inspect each bag before purchase.
post #5732 of 5977
Slight cracking and peeling will happen, it has on all my older ones, but that strap looks like shit.
post #5733 of 5977
I don't get the cracking and peeling problem being attributed to a characteristic of bridle leather.

I have several full grain leather belts bought from 25 to 50 bucks. Worn frequently, flex under stress, but exhibit nothing like the cracking and peeling of Filson leather.

Here are pics of both sides of a 2-year-old full grain leather belt I bought at a craft market in central London for 50 bucks. It also came with a nice solid brass buckle (not brass plated steel).

Underside:


Topside:


Another example, the leather on my old Filson large carry-on shows no such cracking and peeling and I have never treated the leather. In fact, though the bag is bulky as an airline carryon - I still keep it as it's so well constructed in terms of materials.
Edited by Soletrane - 5/31/16 at 8:04pm
post #5734 of 5977
Soletrane you covered it pretty well. Bride leather does not look like the junk we've repeatedly seen throughout this thread. It seems as whatever Filson is calling "bridle leather" is some mutant form of compressed leather. Even on my field satchel, one of Filson's most iconic and expensive products, exhibits this nonsense. I'm kinda pissed about it today especially as I was looking closely at how one of my strap looks nice and thick while the other one looks like it went through a washing machine a dozen times and is limp and shapeless. What's odd is that I have seen some of the new leather accessories that Filson is putting out and the bridle leather used for the wallets seems of good quality. Not sure what junk they are using for their straps.
post #5735 of 5977
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhtn View Post

Soletrane you covered it pretty well. Bride leather does not look like the junk we've repeatedly seen throughout this thread. It seems as whatever Filson is calling "bridle leather" is some mutant form of compressed leather. Even on my field satchel, one of Filson's most iconic and expensive products, exhibits this nonsense. I'm kinda pissed about it today especially as I was looking closely at how one of my strap looks nice and thick while the other one looks like it went through a washing machine a dozen times and is limp and shapeless. What's odd is that I have seen some of the new leather accessories that Filson is putting out and the bridle leather used for the wallets seems of good quality. Not sure what junk they are using for their straps.

 

I understand your dissatisfaction Trltn especially on a field satchel.   And I didn't want to rag on Filson leather too much - as it's been done before on this thread many times, and I still like the brand.  But I dispute what was reported above about the pilling, piling and cracking being intrinsic to bridle leather.   Many people wear full grain leather belts every day of their lives...almost no one 'treats' them with any conditioner - and they look better with age and generally hold up well to daily use.

 

Anyway, I got my 'go to' pieces of Filson luggage now so no worries on my end.  In fact, if anyone wants to buy a tan Meridian with the tags still on, please PM me and maybe we can work something out (I just preferred my Sportsman in the end).

post #5736 of 5977
Soletrane, I also agree with you that piling and cracking is not a trait of most bridle leathers. I have numerous years old bridle leather pieces from places other than filson. None have exhibited the type of breaking down that seems to be consistent with filson's bridle leather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soletrane View Post

I understand your dissatisfaction Trltn especially on a field satchel.   And I didn't want to rag on Filson leather too much - as it's been done before on this thread many times, and I still like the brand.  But I dispute what was reported above about the pilling, piling and cracking being intrinsic to bridle leather.   Many people wear full grain leather belts every day of their lives...almost no one 'treats' them with any conditioner - and they look better with age and generally hold up well to daily use.

Anyway, I got my 'go to' pieces of Filson luggage now so no worries on my end.  In fact, if anyone wants to buy a tan Meridian with the tags still on, please PM me and maybe we can work something out (I just preferred my Sportsman in the end).
post #5737 of 5977

Is there any difference between the FIlson Padded Computer Bag for $358 at Brooks Brothers compared to the one on Filson's website for $385??

 

Navy is really starting to grow on me... I want it so badly.

post #5738 of 5977

I've been trying to get as much info as possible before making the final decision on getting the new size medium Filson duffle and stumbled upon this picture. Looks like a Filson duffle, but different. Open full length pocket on the side, top zipper goes past the edge for a wider opening. This is the bag I want! Anyone know what model it is? Definitely not the 70325 that it's pretending to be.

 

http://www.beaubags.com/filson-duffle-bag-medium-navy-11070325-na.html

 

post #5739 of 5977
Looks to be either the large travel bag (70248) or medium travel bag (70246). Believe both are discontinued.
post #5740 of 5977
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsbebc View Post

Looks to be either the large travel bag (70248) or medium travel bag (70246). Believe both are discontinued.

It's the medium travel bag - 246. The large one has handles similar to the duffle bags with extra D rings on the handles.
post #5741 of 5977

Thank you very much, didn't realize that bag existed. 

 

Looks like Brooks Brothers still sells it, or could be a phantom listing; http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Filson®-Medium-Travel-Bag/UL00110,default,pd.html. It's $70 cheaper than the medium duffle, but 2" shorter... 

post #5742 of 5977
Regder,
Nice bag! Always had a hankering for the medium travel bag in navy. It doesn't have the capacity or the classic shape of a medium duffle but adds a lot of practicality with the pockets, shape and wide zipper. And the navy blue is a more business friendly color.

I don't think the Brooks link is active as you can't click through to purchase that bag
post #5743 of 5977
post #5744 of 5977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soletrane View Post

Regder,
Nice bag! Always had a hankering for the medium travel bag in navy. It doesn't have the capacity or the classic shape of a medium duffle but adds a lot of practicality with the pockets, shape and wide zipper. And the navy blue is a more business friendly color.

I don't think the Brooks link is active as you can't click through to purchase that bag


I would say the 246 does appear regularly on Ebay so all the best in catching one smile.gif That said, the navy fabric is going to feel thinner than the tan/olive even though they're supposed to be the same weight.
post #5745 of 5977
Yup, the navy will definitely feel thinner but it has a less rustic look which might make it look less dated when the Urban Woodsman look has long past.

Definitely would bid if I didn't have a Sportsman!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures