or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures - Page 381

post #5701 of 5977
Would be cool if Filson made a version of all their bags with some USA based high quality slubby denim so you could see it break in and fade etc. with the brown leather that patinas, brass joints/rivets etc and shades of blue of the denim I think that would look pretty awesome.
post #5702 of 5977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

Would be cool if Filson made a version of all their bags with some USA based high quality slubby denim so you could see it break in and fade etc. with the brown leather that patinas, brass joints/rivets etc and shades of blue of the denim I think that would look pretty awesome.

Any issues with indigo bleed you can foresee ?
post #5703 of 5977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

Would be cool if Filson made a version of all their bags with some USA based high quality slubby denim so you could see it break in and fade etc. with the brown

leather that patinas, brass joints/rivets etc and shades of blue of the denim I think that would look pretty awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

Would be cool if Filson made a version of all their bags with some USA based high quality slubby denim so you could see it break in and fade etc. with the brown leather that patinas, brass joints/rivets etc and shades of blue of the denim I think that would look pretty awesome.

Closest yet was the Levis-Filson x-collab duffle.
post #5704 of 5977

filson x lucky brand did a capsule collection as well in denim.

post #5705 of 5977
Quote:
Originally Posted by milw50717 View Post

Any issues with indigo bleed you can foresee ?

Of course, but isn't that the fun? I mean jeans bleed indigo everywhere, including onto Filson bags rubbed against them etc. Denim shows another form of patina.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soletrane View Post

Closest yet was the Levis-Filson x-collab duffle.

Looks nice. I'd be curious to see how the leather is breaking in on those. That's more or less what I had in mind, except for with the usual dark brown leather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double00 View Post

filson x lucky brand did a capsule collection as well in denim.
Just googled the pics, meh, right idea I think but I don't like the execution.
post #5706 of 5977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

Of course, but isn't that the fun? I mean jeans bleed indigo everywhere, including onto Filson bags rubbed against them etc. Denim shows another form of patina.

Not fun for everyone I'm afraid to say.

Maybe a few items from their range, but not all items as I think such things as denim briefcases and rucksacs would look a bit naff. Given the, err, current diversification of their catalogue I would imagine if the collab bags and their own denim jeans were good sellers that the penny would have dropped and they would sell such items. Until then we have rugged suede luggage items being introduced.
post #5707 of 5977
In my opinion, if the wrong type of denim is used, it gIves the bag a casual, novelty look that l don't enjoy. Too much like stuff from the 70s when they tried to make everything out of denim. Vermilyea Pelle, on the other hand, has some nice looking bags made out of dark Japanese selvedge.

Incidentally, I took my tan Sportsman 266 out for a trip with the kids to Philly. t's one of those "big little" bags - looks modestly sized when empty but when you start filling up all those pockets, you realize it holds quite a bit and all neatly organized too so you can "live out of the bag" (I.e. no need to fully unpack) if there is no place to store your gear at your destination. I have the larger Meridian now, but I find the 266 is still my go-to-bag if I am traveling by car.

Edited by Soletrane - 4/19/16 at 3:11am
post #5708 of 5977

Filson has introduced a "weatherproof suede" collection. Looks nice.

 

post #5709 of 5977

Thanks to everyone who provided some help. After many calls & emails I managed to buy the "old" version of this bag.

Looks like the 257 sells very good; most retailers only have the new version. One retailer told me they got their last shipment in November and it already was the new version with the thinner inside pockets.

Now that I've seen both I can confirm that the old twill inside pockets are much nicer & sturdier. I have no idea why Filson changed that.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by bembel View Post
 

Hello. Newbie question here. I just aquired a 257 and was surprised that the interieur pockets are not made out of twill. It's a thinner fabric.

Is that a recent change, or was it always like this?

 

The inner pockets of my other briefcase, the 256, are entirely made out of twill (which I prefer).

 

Here are some pics of the 257:

 

 

Thanks.

post #5710 of 5977
They changed it due to profit
post #5711 of 5977

Filson 230 or Saddleback Small Gear Bag (24oz canvas)? Any thoughts?

 

 

post #5712 of 5977

It's hard to compare the Filson 230 to the Saddleback Small Gear Bag as they are so different in sizing...the Saddleback is almost half the size.  The Filson 230 is closer in size (at least carrying capacity) to the Saddleback Indiana Gear Bag.  

 

I have the Filson 230 and use it as an every day carry bag.  As a photographer, I carry a spare lens inside the bag with my wallet, phone, keys, and any extras I would need.  My primary camera and lens are kept outside of the bag on my shoulder.

 

I really like the look of the new Saddleback bags, but feel they may not fit the more urban environment that I live in.  I'm unsure where you live, but for my needs, the Filson is a better fit for work and life.

post #5713 of 5977
Quick question, thinking about picking up the Bridle Leather Field Satchel as a graduation gift for myself. There's a general trend of increasingly negative reviews of Filson bags as of late. I've also noticed this myself comparing some of my older (pre-Bedrock) bags to my more recent purchases. Can anyone comment on the quality of the latest runs of the leather field satchels? Thanks.
post #5714 of 5977
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post

Quick question, thinking about picking up the Bridle Leather Field Satchel as a graduation gift for myself. There's a general trend of increasingly negative reviews of Filson bags as of late. I've also noticed this myself comparing some of my older (pre-Bedrock) bags to my more recent purchases. Can anyone comment on the quality of the latest runs of the leather field satchels? Thanks.

I look forward to this answer as well. In the meantime, I might refer you to an earlier post on this thread by trlhtn (http://www.styleforum.net/t/133759/filson-bag-thread-with-pictures/5685#post_8397991), who has quite a bit of experience, although I'm not sure which generation of the Field Satchel he began with.

I would be interested to hear if you find out more. Best.

post #5715 of 5977
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschofield View Post
 

I look forward to this answer as well. In the meantime, I might refer you to an earlier post on this thread by trlhtn (http://www.styleforum.net/t/133759/filson-bag-thread-with-pictures/5685#post_8397991), who has quite a bit of experience, although I'm not sure which generation of the Field Satchel he began with.

I would be interested to hear if you find out more. Best.

My original brown satchel that was replaced unsuccessfully was the "current" generation of satchel with the updated lock. By the model number (252) I probably had the first generation with the new lock. The ones with the thinner/flimsier leather were 70252s. The satchel is now at 11070252 on Filson's site. I still have my Filson gift card sitting as I won't buy a field satchel until I know for sure that the leather is of the old Filson quality. In all honesty it was extremely disappointing to see the replacement briefcases that Filson sent. They felt like cheap imitations, the bag was lighter and the leather had a hollow/ less substantial feel. 

 

Anyways for around the same price, I am having a briefcase commissioned in English Bridle so I am hoping it turns out well. Let me know if you need any other information. 


Edited by trlhtn - 5/8/16 at 7:33pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures