Thanks. The look is just the way it looks. I've never done anything special to it aside from normal cleaning and conditioning of the leather. It has been re-waxed once.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Filson Medium Travel bag Last post on 6/14/14 at 9:50pm in Buying and Selling
- A Functional, Stylish Briefcase for a Traveling Businessman Last post on 7/19/15 at 8:20am in Classic Menswear
- Finding THE leather bag... Last post on 10/25/13 at 4:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Cloth messenger bag that collapses down flat Last post on 1/6/13 at 3:47am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
Last edited: 4/26/16
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: AccessoriesLast edited: 11/11/15
- Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In Search of the Perfect...Last edited: 11/23/14
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Grant Stone
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures - Page 256post #3827 of 57126/13/14 at 6:46ampost #3828 of 57126/13/14 at 7:34amQuote:Originally Posted by Silk
I have the Original Briefcase and a Zippered Tote Bag (and a few more). Of the two, I would say the Zippered Tote Bag is more practical - you can easily cram stuff into it, even bulky objects like shoes or clothes. You can stuff the Original Briefcase but that isn't what it is really intended for. To me, the Original Briefcase is meant to be a fashion statement and used more as an office accessory where you need not carry much beyond a few pens, phone and a few pieces of papers.
So yes, a different use for each.Quote:Originally Posted by rydenfan
I completely disagree with this. Right now in my 256 is a 15" MacBook Pro, iPad, Kindle, legal pad, Moleskin notebook, eyeglasses case, headphones, chargers, pencil case, pens, calculator and other various and as sundry items. I fail to see how that is merely a fashion statement not suitable for everyday business useQuote:Originally Posted by Silk
My point really is that the Original Briefcase is suitable for everyday business use. I agree that the Original Briefcase can hold the items you mentioned (and probably more) and make a fashion statement at the same time.
This is of course unique only to me but the Original Briefcase is not suitable for the other uses that I sometimes have in mind. I have tried squeezing in two pairs of shoes, another pair of slippers, a change of clothes, a couple of water bottles and the like. They did not fit so nicely unfortunately. In other words, the Original Briefcase isn't meant to be a gym bag (and I appreciate it has never really been represented as one anyway). And that's where I guess the Zippered Tote Bag would come into play.
To be fair, I like them both and use them both for different activities.Quote:
Got to say I agree with most of what's said here and the fact that difference requirements meant different bag preferences
I started out with a 256 navy harris tweed, purchased a 257 in Tan and a luckyXfilson collab sportsman bag and finally a 261 zippered tote in OG
I sold my 257 since it's not getting any use with the 261's addition and just bought a 230 small fieldbag in Tan (can't leave out the iconic filson color from my bag lineup) for my ipad and other misc items when I don't want to carry a bigger bag around. Still missing out on the brown but the contrast between the leather and canvas is a little lackluster for me so there's probably no place for it in the near future.
Here's what I've finally ended up with. The line up might change in due course but that's what keeps life interesting and fresh yeah?
Apologies for quality of this mobile snapshot...post #3829 of 57126/15/14 at 8:28am
I have the 257 and I removed the center divider so there is now a single compartment. This opened up the flexibility and amount of stuff I could pack. It takes about 30 minutes if you (or someone you know) are half way decent with a sewing machine. Now the bag is perfect. Just thought I would throw that out there because that divider makes a lot of difference in how/what you can pack in the 257.post #3830 of 57126/15/14 at 9:02amQuote:Originally Posted by alaskagriz
I have the 257 and I removed the center divider so there is now a single compartment. This opened up the flexibility and amount of stuff I could pack. It takes about 30 minutes if you (or someone you know) are half way decent with a sewing machine. Now the bag is perfect. Just thought I would throw that out there because that divider makes a lot of difference in how/what you can pack in the 257.
Well, I did think of removing one of the dividers on the side where it has the 3x protruding pockets but I don't want to void my Filson warranty after discovering that the leather holding the D-rings to the shoulder strap cracks easy (just discovered a hair line crack on those for my 256 as well) as well as the fact that the stitching on them comes off easy. A number of posters have made exchange due to that piece of leather and its rivet coming off from I have seen on this thread...
I'm not sure if it's revolve's stocks issues (got both the 256 and 257 there) or not... I'll not send it back but I'll probably hand carry the bag for the rest of its lifespan.
That said, if you removed all the dividers in your 257, isn't that functionally a 261 zippered tote but with top flap and shoulder strap?post #3831 of 57126/15/14 at 11:50ampost #3832 of 57126/15/14 at 5:02pmPicked up the Filson x Magnum Camera Field Bag. Tin cloth and twill exterior; adjustable snap closure; water resistant; numerous pockets, modular dividers. Works great as a camera bag. Even better as a baby bag for those fathers out there.
http://www.filson.com/products/camera-field-bag.70147.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=collections/filson-magnum&fmetaProduct=cc15/post #3833 of 57126/15/14 at 5:30pm
I have a Filson large briefcase in white denim from Unionmade that I've had since January. Posting three mobile snaps - one of the closed exterior (side away from body), detail of side against hip of body and another detail of the top flap open. I had another tan colored camera bag that transferred indigo in the same location, so I was expecting it to be blue. Haven't attempted to spot clean that area, suspect it might not improve the look.post #3834 of 57126/15/14 at 9:19pmpost #3835 of 57126/18/14 at 5:48pmpost #3836 of 57126/18/14 at 5:56pmpost #3837 of 57126/19/14 at 7:13ampost #3838 of 57126/19/14 at 9:11ampost #3839 of 57126/19/14 at 10:57ampost #3840 of 57126/19/14 at 3:34pm
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 7 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 11 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 13 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 15 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 15 minutes ago
- › Naked & Famous Skinny Guy Left Hand Raw Denim NWOT Size 30 17 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 17 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 18 minutes ago
- › Vintage Ray Ban Expert 24 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 27 minutes ago
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care Guide
- › AE fit & sizing help
- › 5 of the best Groomsmen’s gifts