Thanks. The look is just the way it looks. I've never done anything special to it aside from normal cleaning and conditioning of the leather. It has been re-waxed once.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Filson Medium Travel bag Last post on 6/14/14 at 9:50pm in Buying and Selling
- A Functional, Stylish Briefcase for a Traveling Businessman Last post on 7/19/15 at 8:20am in Classic Menswear
- Finding THE leather bag... Last post on 10/25/13 at 4:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Cloth messenger bag that collapses down flat Last post on 1/6/13 at 3:47am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
Last edited: 4/26/16
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: AccessoriesLast edited: 11/11/15
- Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In Search of the Perfect...Last edited: 11/23/14
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures - Page 256post #3827 of 58386/13/14 at 6:46ampost #3828 of 58386/13/14 at 7:34amQuote:Originally Posted by Silk
I have the Original Briefcase and a Zippered Tote Bag (and a few more). Of the two, I would say the Zippered Tote Bag is more practical - you can easily cram stuff into it, even bulky objects like shoes or clothes. You can stuff the Original Briefcase but that isn't what it is really intended for. To me, the Original Briefcase is meant to be a fashion statement and used more as an office accessory where you need not carry much beyond a few pens, phone and a few pieces of papers.
So yes, a different use for each.Quote:Originally Posted by rydenfan
I completely disagree with this. Right now in my 256 is a 15" MacBook Pro, iPad, Kindle, legal pad, Moleskin notebook, eyeglasses case, headphones, chargers, pencil case, pens, calculator and other various and as sundry items. I fail to see how that is merely a fashion statement not suitable for everyday business useQuote:Originally Posted by Silk
My point really is that the Original Briefcase is suitable for everyday business use. I agree that the Original Briefcase can hold the items you mentioned (and probably more) and make a fashion statement at the same time.
This is of course unique only to me but the Original Briefcase is not suitable for the other uses that I sometimes have in mind. I have tried squeezing in two pairs of shoes, another pair of slippers, a change of clothes, a couple of water bottles and the like. They did not fit so nicely unfortunately. In other words, the Original Briefcase isn't meant to be a gym bag (and I appreciate it has never really been represented as one anyway). And that's where I guess the Zippered Tote Bag would come into play.
To be fair, I like them both and use them both for different activities.Quote:
Got to say I agree with most of what's said here and the fact that difference requirements meant different bag preferences
I started out with a 256 navy harris tweed, purchased a 257 in Tan and a luckyXfilson collab sportsman bag and finally a 261 zippered tote in OG
I sold my 257 since it's not getting any use with the 261's addition and just bought a 230 small fieldbag in Tan (can't leave out the iconic filson color from my bag lineup) for my ipad and other misc items when I don't want to carry a bigger bag around. Still missing out on the brown but the contrast between the leather and canvas is a little lackluster for me so there's probably no place for it in the near future.
Here's what I've finally ended up with. The line up might change in due course but that's what keeps life interesting and fresh yeah?
Apologies for quality of this mobile snapshot...post #3829 of 58386/15/14 at 8:28am
I have the 257 and I removed the center divider so there is now a single compartment. This opened up the flexibility and amount of stuff I could pack. It takes about 30 minutes if you (or someone you know) are half way decent with a sewing machine. Now the bag is perfect. Just thought I would throw that out there because that divider makes a lot of difference in how/what you can pack in the 257.post #3830 of 58386/15/14 at 9:02amQuote:Originally Posted by alaskagriz
I have the 257 and I removed the center divider so there is now a single compartment. This opened up the flexibility and amount of stuff I could pack. It takes about 30 minutes if you (or someone you know) are half way decent with a sewing machine. Now the bag is perfect. Just thought I would throw that out there because that divider makes a lot of difference in how/what you can pack in the 257.
Well, I did think of removing one of the dividers on the side where it has the 3x protruding pockets but I don't want to void my Filson warranty after discovering that the leather holding the D-rings to the shoulder strap cracks easy (just discovered a hair line crack on those for my 256 as well) as well as the fact that the stitching on them comes off easy. A number of posters have made exchange due to that piece of leather and its rivet coming off from I have seen on this thread...
I'm not sure if it's revolve's stocks issues (got both the 256 and 257 there) or not... I'll not send it back but I'll probably hand carry the bag for the rest of its lifespan.
That said, if you removed all the dividers in your 257, isn't that functionally a 261 zippered tote but with top flap and shoulder strap?post #3831 of 58386/15/14 at 11:50ampost #3832 of 58386/15/14 at 5:02pmPicked up the Filson x Magnum Camera Field Bag. Tin cloth and twill exterior; adjustable snap closure; water resistant; numerous pockets, modular dividers. Works great as a camera bag. Even better as a baby bag for those fathers out there.
http://www.filson.com/products/camera-field-bag.70147.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=collections/filson-magnum&fmetaProduct=cc15/post #3833 of 58386/15/14 at 5:30pm
I have a Filson large briefcase in white denim from Unionmade that I've had since January. Posting three mobile snaps - one of the closed exterior (side away from body), detail of side against hip of body and another detail of the top flap open. I had another tan colored camera bag that transferred indigo in the same location, so I was expecting it to be blue. Haven't attempted to spot clean that area, suspect it might not improve the look.post #3834 of 58386/15/14 at 9:19pmpost #3835 of 58386/18/14 at 5:48pmpost #3836 of 58386/18/14 at 5:56pmpost #3837 of 58386/19/14 at 7:13ampost #3838 of 58386/19/14 at 9:11ampost #3839 of 58386/19/14 at 10:57ampost #3840 of 58386/19/14 at 3:34pm
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories
- › Things you just don't get 1 minute ago
- › Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 2 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 3 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 5 minutes ago
- › How many miles did you run today? 6 minutes ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE 08/26/2016 -- DROWN IN BROWN 6 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 7 minutes ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 9 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 10 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding