Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Filson Medium Travel bag Last post on 6/14/14 at 9:50pm in Marketplace
- A Functional, Stylish Briefcase for a Traveling Businessman Last post on 7/19/15 at 8:20am in Classic Menswear
- Finding THE leather bag... Last post on 10/25/13 at 4:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Cloth messenger bag that collapses down flat Last post on 1/6/13 at 3:47am in Classic Menswear
Prof. Fab’s Holiday Gift Guide: In Search of the Perfect...
Last edited: 11/23/14
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures - Page 212
the jeep is wicked overpriced, but the bike isn't as overpriced as you'd think.
as was mentioned the shinola version of the bike (without the two bags and racks is $1950).
remember bicycle enthusiast/collectors are just as religious as photography freaks. there are certainly value purchases you can find on eBay/Craigslists, but there are some willing to pay a premium (Hello Leica enthusiasts) for brands which are sometimes just rebranded (HELLO PANA-LEICA).
But in this case your paying for the equivalent of the german made Leica stuff (since the bike frame was welded/painted, and bike itself was assembled (even the saddle) here in the USA). add to that the custom filson bags which were USA made too.
for every sony and cannon point and shoot camera you have people paying good money for a Leica X-Vario.
or you have guys paying $20,000 for a Hassalbad i can show you people paying $5,000 for a typical commuter bike from Rivendell.
here's the breakdown:
the frame is american made, from a pretty high quality (not exotic and super light weight, but more durable since its a commuter bike) from waterford bicycles. usual frames from that company (which was started from original schwinn employees back when schwinns were actually made in the USA) can run near $2000 for the frames alone. $2000 for that shinola bike sounds like a lot to non-bike enthusiasts but falls in line to what is being offered.
sure you can buy an inexpensive alternative (thats made in taiwan* or china) but just like buying a $75 coat from old navy compared to maybe a $350 coat from filson there are reasons for the price difference.
now with the $2000, you have the filson paint scheme, two racks (front and back which if they are high quality racks can run easily over $100 each), and two custom filson bags (back saddle/panniers and front tote bag). Lets figure $350 for the rear rack panniers and then $175 for the front tote bag), and bamboo fenders (which probably run near $90 which i wont count anyway since the original shinola actually comes with aluminum fenders).
so you have two racks $200, two custom filson panniers $350, Filson front rack bag $175 so about $725 more worth of items on the bike compared to the original shinola. now you have to figure the cost of painting it in the filson color-way which will be in low volume compared to the two colors offered by shinola. custom paint schemes are at least $200 and can go even higher.
now thats around $925 more. not that much more.
As somebody who has a few custom built bikes in my home (see my avitar for one of them) you do get what you pay for. There is a history behind the Waterford shop and the owner (Richard Schwinn ) so that might mean something to people. They make very good quality frames (Waterford, Gunnar, Milwaukee, some Rivendill) so you are getting a very solid, well build product with a good history. I have seen some of the Shinola bikes and I liked them, but like any bike, fit, fit fit. It could be built by the best, if the fit is wrong, you are hosed. As for Shinola, I didn't care for their shop as a whole (although i was tempted by their Brooks saddle knockoff). I liked some of their journal and colored pencils, but it seemed overpriced and pretentious. I didn't note any specific strong quality in their items. Just my opinion. As for bikes, I am a fan of Kelly Bedford, former Serotta Master Builder, and he is an artisan and a genius when it comes to understand how a bike will perform based on certain build characteristics. I have two custom frames, another for my wife, and we are both thrilled. $3K gets expended quickly on a top notch bike though, but it is going to be top notch.
As for the Filson bag, I got my 257 on the 27th, it is a great bag. Teh W Concept had a great packaging, even wrapped in tissue paper and a little ribbon/yarn (nice but unnecessary touch) and I really like the quality of the bag. It is plenty big and the pockets seem to makes sense. I was impressed with the side pockets on the 257...pleasant surprise.
Waxing is way better than Scotchguard. I suppose you could do nothing with it but after the wax thins out it might not be as water resistant. I like water resistance so I rewax whatever needs it when it needs it.
Do you use filson wax, or something like Barbour wax or otter wax?
Don't worry about it.. It's "patina" or "character".
Hi guys i posted a while back asking about the filson rucksack. Dropped by my store and sadly its too small for me. Looked like i was wewring a kids bag lol. IM Quite tall over 6 foot so yeah. Thus i have decided to get a filson sling bag. I so wan join the filson family xD. Looking between the 232 and 240 dadly this 2 models are not carried at my local store anymore. I need it to fit a 13" laptop. From what i heard the 232 opening is small and cant fit? While the 240 has a zipper and opens wide? I know many will recommend getting the laptop bags but i really do not like the design on those. Whats the lowest price u guys have seen for a 70240? Which webby has it and ships worldwide? Thanks.
Assuming you are shipping to Singapore, I think that shipping will likely eat into any savings you may make by buying from the US.
Using google shopping may help find them online - https://www.google.com/search?q=filson+70240&oq=filson+70240. You may have to play with the country settings.
You can always pick up the phone and call asking about discounts and shipping. One regular poster recommends it in fact .... For a single bag you may not get that big of a discount however.
There is at least one stockist in Singapore - http://www.thedenimstoreonline.com/2012/03/filson-made-in-usa.html . Not sure if that is were you went or what their prices are like. There are going to be Filson stockists elsewhere in Asia, so maybe check them out. Another source would be the various ebay and yahoo auction sites. This seller has been around for a few years - http://tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/b68069066?u=Y5502978261
Whilst gogling I found this intriguing post from 09/2012 - http://www.maxmayo.com/filson-bags-malaysia/ . Maybe drop them a line?
Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Ok great thanks for the help guys. Just curious are there any fakes? That would be my main concern..
this guys selling 265usd wif free shipping to sg is insane! rating is good but still have my doubts....the other would be this guy....my target is to get it below 400sgd..
- Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures
- › ***Story Et Fall Thread*** 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 10 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 11 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 13 minutes ago
- › Lets talk about COFFEE 13 minutes ago
- › Ideas for color combinations for business casual - sticking to... 14 minutes ago
- › Inis Meain Melange Ribbed Boatmaker Sweater - Size Medium (BNWT) 15 minutes ago
- › The Uniqlo Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015